The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The Commonwealth of Virginia where the seasons are made up and the weather doesn’t matter

Being in MD, we've had a saying lately that any day of the week can be a different season.

Yesterday at noon it was 63. 15 minutes ago, I just got done shoveling a foot of snow.

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

I try to remind boomers that it wasn't always like this, whenever I can. 

I tell people our age that when my dad was in high school the Ohio River froze over so much that you could drive a car it and into Kentucky. This used to be common even after the river was dammed! No longer!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Taiga-charging-ABB.jpg?resize=1200%2C628
ELECTREK.CO

Taiga Motors announced that it officially started deliveries of the production version of its electric snowmobile: the 2022 Nomad. It’s obviously a bit late in the season, but it is still an important step for the company and for the electrification of powersports. Like the auto industry, the powersports world is being electrified, and Quebec-based […]

aiga Motors announced that it officially started deliveries of the production version of its electric snowmobile: the 2022 Nomad.

It’s obviously a bit late in the season, but it is still an important step for the company and for the electrification of powersports.

Like the auto industry, the powersports world is being electrified, and Quebec-based Taiga Motors is one of the companies leading the way for electric snowmobiles and jet skis. Last year, Taiga made waves when it went public and raised $100 million to bring its electric vehicles to production.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That thing will weigh an absolute ton

Not to mention it's only for like resort patrol as sports enthusiasts. No way in hell people who actually use snowmobiles to survive are going to put their faith in a battery when they're driving through the wilderness in winter. Unless they like towed a generator on their sled or something, which would kind of defeat the purpose...

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not to mention it's only for like resort patrol as sports enthusiasts. No way in hell people who actually use snowmobiles to survive are going to put their faith in a battery when they're driving through the wilderness in winter. Unless they like towed a generator on their sled or something, which would kind of defeat the purpose...

It’s going to kill a ton of people if it rolls over

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

According to their website it weighs 650 lbs -- which is just slightly above the normal weight of a snowmobile 500-600 pounds.

That’s surprising given that electric automobiles are significantly heavier than their ICE counterparts. How’s the range compare?

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That’s surprising given that electric automobiles are significantly heavier than their ICE counterparts. How’s the range compare?

They're claiming 100km -- which is probably ideal conditions. Charges in 30 minutes on a Level 3 charger.

This won't work for the  hardcore who want to put in 500km in a day -- but probably works for other folks.

23 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They're claiming 100km -- which is probably ideal conditions. Charges in 30 minutes on a Level 3 charger.

This won't work for the  hardcore who want to put in 500km in a day -- but probably works for other folks.

Like I said - ski resort patrols and sports enthusiasts. People who actually travel by snowmobile, wherein getting trapped in the wilderness is actually a thing they have to worry about, won't touch an electric snowmobile with a 10 foot pole.

17 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Like I said - ski resort patrols and sports enthusiasts. People who actually travel by snowmobile, wherein getting trapped in the wilderness is actually a thing they have to worry about, won't touch an electric snowmobile with a 10 foot pole.

Is this a big use case you are familiar with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This last evening I spotted some smoke while there were thunderstorms in the area coming over the mountain that runs just to the West of us. 

Poking around the cameras it does seem that our town has a small (and hopefully it stays that way) wildfire on the other side of said mountains. This would be roughly 7-10ish miles away as the bird flies. 

tvhill.jpg

The next culture war target of the right: ethical green investing.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Republicans are coming out swinging against Wall Street's growing efforts to consider factors like long-term environmental risk in investment decisions, the latest indication that the GOP is willing to damage its relationship with big business to score culture war points.

Republicans are coming out swinging against Wall Street's growing efforts to consider factors like long-term environmental risk in investment decisions, the latest indication that the GOP is willing to damage its relationship with big business to score culture war points.

I bet the next thing will be insurance companies. Insurance is an industry that knows climate change is real because they see the actual costs. So, of course, they are starting to price that into products (from changing flood risk in new areas, drought risks for crop insurance, new areas with greater forest fire risks, etc). I bet we'll see Florida or some other state legislate that insurers aren't allowed to take climate risk into account when pricing policies. 

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Republicans are coming out swinging against Wall Street's growing efforts to consider factors like long-term environmental risk in investment decisions, the latest indication that the GOP is willing to...

I bet the next thing will be insurance companies. Insurance is an industry that knows climate change is real because they see the actual costs. So, of course, they are starting to price that into products (from changing flood risk in new areas, drought risks for crop insurance, new areas with greater forest fire risks, etc). I bet we'll see Florida or some other state legislate that insurers aren't allowed to take climate risk into account when pricing policies. 

That's something I hadn't considered.

Insurance companies are evil by nature, but at least they are predictably and reliably evil. And they have a lot of lobbying power.

• True 1

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Republicans are coming out swinging against Wall Street's growing efforts to consider factors like long-term environmental risk in investment decisions, the latest indication that the GOP is willing to damage its relationship with big business to score culture war points.

I mean the obvious response to such a bill is insurers pulling out of the state.