The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This was a couple of days ago but I guess we are setting records for lowest max temperatures now :silly: (Also raining again today like 3rd day in a row it's rained in the morning)

It has been a bit like that here. No rain, but we capped out in the mid-70s on Thursday or Friday. We might not see 90 again until the end of the week. We had 1/2 an easy breathable day just before the lower temps hit. But that was short lived due to the conditions that @Remarkableriots posted.

Ida_prim_0827_11a.jpg
WEATHER.COM

A dangerous hurricane threat is in play for the Gulf Coast. Here's the latest forecast briefing. - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Gulf Coast about to have some fun!

7 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:
Ida_prim_0827_11a.jpg
WEATHER.COM

A dangerous hurricane threat is in play for the Gulf Coast. Here's the latest forecast briefing. - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Gulf Coast about to have some fun!

Wow, this shit popped up out of nowhere fast.

Caldor Fire is turning into a monster. They pretty much lost 10% containment as the fire exploded in the 1 1/2 between updates today. Mandatory evacuations are now on the doorstep of South Lake Tahoe with Heavenly and Stateline just outside of current warning areas. I had a bad feeling about today because they were talking about how progress at holding the line in Strawberry got pretty much fucked when embers started a fire to the East of where they were holding. Personally for us in the last couple of hours ash started falling and at one point was coming down at a pretty good clip. Also air quality is shit as even with all our filtration our indoor aqi is currently sitting at 119. Outdoors peaked at about 250ish. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Littleronin Have you been up to Tahoe before? I haven't visited Tahoe in a few years but it's fun.

I normally went up about once a year for conferences. But haven't been since lockdowns and crap. 

It looks like they extended the warnings to include Heavenly and Stateline. I seen they cancelled schools on the Nevada side of the lake this morning. I watched one of the fire cams last night that you could see how quickly this this was climbing mountains at one of the ski resorts. 

These winds today in the region are no joke.  The newest mandatory evacs included Heavenly and Stateline. The next couple of days are going to be bad. Here is hoping everyone heeds the call to evac and gets the hell out. 

Update while I was contacting friends in the area. Traffic is pretty much at a standstill depending on which two lane road, sorry highway, you take out. He is saying 50 going through Zephyr is bad. We offered for his family to stay here. He think they might head this way and at least stay at one of the hotels here. 

The road there ends up being a 2 lane twisting drive up mountains.

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Man the most I have to deal with here in PA is the occasional heavy snowfall in the winter. I cant imagine having to be evacuated due to crazy fires and massive hurricanes. :(

Don't worry, the remnants of Ida are forecasted to dump a few inches of rain in the area on Wednesday.  There's plenty of fun to go around!

nicholas-11am.jpeg
WEATHER.COM

Here's the detailed forecast briefing on the latest named storm to affect the U.S. this hurricane season. - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Oh dear

• 2 weeks later...
5184.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Exclusive: Activist says there are many fine words but the science does not lie – CO2 emissions are still rising

“Build back better. Blah, blah, blah. Green economy. Blah blah blah. Net zero by 2050. Blah, blah, blah,” she said in a speech to the Youth4Climate summit in Milan, Italy, on Tuesday. “This is all we hear from our so-called leaders. Words that sound great but so far have not led to action. Our hopes and ambitions drown in their empty promises.”

• True 1