The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

Just now, CayceG said:

As an aside, I know that American agriculture is insanely distributed, but why in god's name are we growing CORN in ARIZONA?

Was it this thread that someone posted about how the south should have been the country's biggest food producer, but slavery and Jim Crow? 

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Arizona isn't the south though. I don't mean geographically, I mean in terms of soil conditions and weather. 

By "the south" I mean the former Confederacy. And again, free water makes dumb stuff feasible. 

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Someone  did a threadreader of it so it's easy to read

1413328817863659529.jpg
THREADREADERAPP.COM

Thread by @SarahTaber_bww: this.....we talk about tomorrow the short answer is "probably not, but the OTHER fuckery surrounding this is an even better story" My guess is no. It's not immediately obvious that "lots ...…

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

It isn't hard to read a twitter thread either. I get irritated when people at threadreader in reply just because they're lazy :p 

What's garbage is how you have to click on each tweet to see replies individually. They really need to do it reddit style and let you expand the replies under each tweet.

lake-mead-01-ap-jef-210816_1629150249618
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Federal officials have declared a shortage in Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the country, amid a historic decadeslong megadrought in the region.

Federal officials have declared a shortage in Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the country that serves tens of millions of residents in the West and northern Mexico, amid a historic decadeslong "megadrought" in the region.

The Bureau of Reclamation announced the first-ever water shortage for the lower Colorado River basin on Monday, which will prompt a reduction in water releases to Arizona, Nevada and Mexico in 2022 to make sure there is enough water in the reservoir to keep generating power and provide water for essential uses.

Lake Mead will be under a Tier 1 shortage, meaning that starting next year, Arizona will receive about 18% less water from the Colorado River than in a typical year. Nevada's water allowance will be reduced by about 7%, and Mexico's by about 5%, according to the Bureau of Reclamation. States, local agencies, tribes and water users will negotiate which users see the most reductions.

51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's raining!

8260.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Precipitation was so unexpected, scientists had no gauges to measure it, and is stark sign of climate crisis

Rain has fallen on the summit of Greenland’s huge ice cap for the first time on record. Temperatures are normally well below freezing on the 3,216-metre (10,551ft) peak, and the precipitation is a stark sign of the climate crisis.

Scientists at the US National Science Foundation’s summit station saw rain falling throughout 14 August but had no gauges to measure the fall because the precipitation was so unexpected. Across Greenland, an estimated 7bn tonnes of water was released from the clouds.

The rain fell during an exceptionally hot three days in Greenland when temperatures were 18C higher than average in places. As a result, melting was seen in most of Greenland, across an area about four times the size of the UK.

Meanwhile, in the Northeast...

082121_HurricaneHenri_11am.jpg
WEATHER.COM

Henri is now a hurricane, and will threaten portions of the Northeast while it is near hurricane strength. - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

On 8/20/2021 at 6:10 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

It's raining!

It also rained here last night. Rainfall in August is almost unheard of here. It's also been pretty chilly. I'm pretty sure this unusual weather also has something to do with the fires east of the mountains, though.

Nothing makes sense anymore.