Updated: all three of Ahmaud Arbery's murderers sentenced to life in prison, two without the possibility of parole

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This case is really odd because of the Georgia citizen’s arrest law, which was repealed due to this case actually. The McMichaels are alleging that they were making a lawful citizens arrest under the statutes at the time, and there is evidence that plays in their favor and evidence that goes against.

We really should erase our law books about once every 20 years and rewrite them with our current notions in mind. A ton of old and really troubling laws remain on the books across the country and a clever enough defense attorney can potentially get these terrible people off because what they did was legal-ish.

The Constitution itself should be scrapped and completely rewritten once a generation.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Constitution itself should be scrapped and completely rewritten once a generation.

Jefferson, as flawed as he was, would probably have argued for that (maybe he actually did, I can't remember)

As much chaos as it would cause, I think there's something to the idea of rewriting the constitution every ~35 years. When the second amendment was written, things like machine guns and high explosives hadn't been invented yet (I've argued before on here about the logical fallacy that we have a "right to bear arms" unless it's nitroglycerin or a fighter jet - only the government or people with specific licenses for specific purposes can have those... so clearly the second amendment does have a limit set in precedence). Shit, income tax didn't exist when the constitution was written, which has led many a right wing crazy to claim income tax is unconstitutional ever since, despite the fact that it was passed by constitutional amendment, which, y'know... by definition makes it constitutional. And funny enough, income tax was only passed because at the time, the federal government made a significant part of its money through taxes on alcohol, so a big argument against Prohibition was that they government would be broke. That's why Prohibition and income tax came in a pair. 

And on top of that, when income tax was passed, they couldn't imagine a time when most wealthy people really don't have an "income." Their wealth does not really exist until they need it to, outside of things like real estate, which is also nebulous. I would definitely be down to reevaluate what should be taxed and what shouldn't.

... I'm on a roll with the tangents today, apparently.

Case is in the jury’s hands now.

The cases against the McMichaels appears to be a slam dunk. The case against Bryan continues to make me feel uneasy. “Party to a crime” laws are too broad. There is a distinct difference between something like planning a burglary and one person being the getaway driver who is then also charged with the burglary despite themselves not entering and taking anything.

In the case of Bryan, he incorrectly believed his neighbors were in need of help but didn’t have any logical basis for assuming they were committing a crime in their pursuit of and Travis’ eventual shooting of Arbery.

58 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Case is in the jury’s hands now.

The cases against the McMichaels appears to be a slam dunk. The case against Bryan continues to make me feel uneasy. “Party to a crime” laws are too broad. There is a distinct difference between something like planning a burglary and one person being the getaway driver who is then also charged with the burglary despite themselves not entering and taking anything.

In the case of Bryan, he incorrectly believed his neighbors were in need of help but didn’t have any logical basis for assuming they were committing a crime in their pursuit of and Travis’ eventual shooting of Arbery.

Yeah I'm not a fan of any of these guilt by association laws. Like if two people burglarize a house and one of them kills someone in the process both can be charged with murder. I think people should only be charged with the crimes they actually commit. 

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of any of these guilt by association laws. Like if two people burglarize a house and one of them kills someone in the process both can be charged with murder. I think people should only be charged with the crimes they actually commit. 

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Updated: all three men CONVICTED for death of Ahmaud Arbery

Like I said, the father and son should have been a slam dunk, but I’m really unsure about Bryan who couldn’t have known that he was participating in a crime at the time he joined in the chase of Arbery. He didn’t even talk to the McMichaels, he just saw them chasing Arbery and jumped his truck and started following.

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Here’s a rundown from abc 

If anybody is unaware, Travis McMichael is the one who who actually shot Arbery. That is the reason he was convicted of malice murder.

Felony murder is attached when somebody dies in the commission of a separate felony. The separate felonies were aggravated assault, false imprisonment, and attempted false imprisonment.

The jury actually did a fantastic job of following the logic of the charges and crimes in laying out what each man was found guilty of. The judge in this case did an exceptional job of charging the jury after closing arguments. Very detailed instructions on each count.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

If anybody is unaware, Travis McMichael is the one who who actually shot Arbery. That is the reason he was convicted of malice murder.

Felony murder is attached when somebody dies in the commission of a separate felony. The separate felonies were aggravated assault, false imprisonment, and attempted false imprisonment.

The jury actually did a fantastic job of following the logic of the charges and crimes in laying out what each man was found guilty of. The judge in this case did an exceptional job of charging the jury after closing arguments. Very detailed instructions on each count.

Now that makes sense because they kept reading felony murder charges and I wasn't sure how many times they killed him.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Never forget this whole thing originally started with police not charging anyone and a DA not filing charges and an attorney got a hold of the video and released it to the media.

THREE DA's not charging, before the fourth (thr redhead who prosecuted) got her hands on it.

15 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Never forget this whole thing originally started with police not charging anyone and a DA not filing charges and an attorney got a hold of the video and released it to the media.

More specifically, the now convicted murderer Gregory McMichael *directed his own attorney friend* to send the video to a local news outlet because he believed it exonerated him. Very well could have gotten away with it if they didn't do that, which created the groundswell to get the GBI involved. 

200.gif

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

What's the Chudosphere saying?

Aside from the extreme Breitbart wing, most feel it was justice. And even there, its like 1 in 4 who are full on "he was a long toe nailed criminal", the rest are fine. . Even the vast majority of fox news commenters feel it was the right verdict.  I specifically checked those two to see what they were saying.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

What's the Chudosphere saying?

I haven’t seen anything from my conservative family members about it. When it all first went down the video seemed so clearly evil that most people accepted it for what it was. None of the details that emerged over the course of the investigation, trial, and conviction, changed any of the underlying wrong.

You pretty much have to out right hate Black people to think it wasn’t murder, not the more soft levels of prejudice or bigotry that the average person tends to harbor towards “others”.

4 hours ago, vaxick said:

Glad to see actual justice served.  Nothing will bring Ahmaud Arbery back, but I'm glad his family will be able to see these men put behind bars forever, where they belong.

In Georgia, those men will serve time with a majority black population. East coast prisons do not have the racial politics of west coast prisons. Unless you're an AB member or something, your race will not protect you.

Granted, given the high profile nature of their crime, I'd be surprised if they EVER wind up in gen-pop.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

In Georgia, those men will serve time with a majority black population. East coast prisons do not have the racial politics of west coast prisons. Unless you're an AB member or something, your race will not protect you.

Granted, given the high profile nature of their crime, I'd be surprised if they EVER wind up in gen-pop.

On top of the nature of the crime, the dad is a retired cop. So yeah, definitely no gen pop.

• 1 month later...
AG3ACVTP3EI6ZMPCAU45VD2EKE.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Travis McMichael, his father Greg McMichael and their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan all faced at least life in prison for the killing of Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man. Only Bryan will have the opportunity for parole.

The three White men convicted of murdering Ahmaud Arbery nearly two years ago were sentenced Friday to life in prison, two of them without the possibility of parole.

Travis McMichael, his father Greg McMichael and their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan all faced at least life in prison for the killing of Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man. They chased and cornered Arbery with their pickup trucks in suburban Satilla Shores near Brunswick, Ga. The five-minute pursuit ended with Travis McMichael fatally shooting Arbery, who was unarmed.

Prosecutors sought to remove the possibility of parole for the McMichaels, but not for Bryan, and the judge agreed. Members of Arbery’s family took the stand earlier Friday to tearfully urge the maximum penalty for all involved.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Updated: all three of Ahmaud Arbery's murderers sentenced to life in prison, two without the possibility of parole