Updated: all three of Ahmaud Arbery's murderers sentenced to life in prison, two without the possibility of parole

I’m still unsure about the charges against Bryan. While I don’t think his actions are OK, it seems pretty clear that he did what he did because the McMichaels lied about what Arbery did. The McMichaels should definitely go to prison, there is simply no legitimate reason for them to have confronted Arbery in the first place even though Arbery had been trespassing. It’s not your property, so mind yo business.

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Taking more than a year for charges? Better late than never. Let’s hope justice isn’t served. 

They were all charged by the state last year and the court cases are probably a month or so out from trial at this point. Federal charges usually come later than state charges.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There’s been some new homes in development in my neighborhood and I often think of this case when passing them on our daily runs. It’s absurd a man was murdered over something so harmless. 

In the lot next to my home a new home was being built last year and I was honestly shocked at how many people would just walk up and walk around the site. My wife, who grew up in a fast growing suburb, said this behavior wasn't unusual. News to me, there

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In the lot next to my home a new home was being built last year and I was honestly shocked at how many people would just walk up and walk around the site. My wife, who grew up in a fast growing suburb, said this behavior wasn't unusual. News to me, there

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. I really wouldn't think anything of it if I saw someone looking around an unfinished site. Hard to imagine any malicious intent.

It is a pretty common behavior. A lot of people do it when their own house is being built in a subdivision to see what the floor plan they chose looks like a few months further down the construction road than theirs, as an example.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. I really wouldn't think anything of it if I saw someone looking around an unfinished site. Hard to imagine any malicious intent.

Residential and commercial construction sites get raided quite a bit, of course this doesnt absolve the people involved in this shit.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A lone guy in running shorts, I’m not thinking he’s on a raid. 

Thats not what I was implying , 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

if I saw someone looking around an unfinished site. Hard to imagine any malicious intent.

I was just giving insight to this in general , not in this specific case.

One of the things I always think about with this case is that if Bryan had not decided to record the thing on his own phone, they would have 100% got away with it. A real own goal.

• 6 months later...

Kevin Goff has been saying crazy stuff the entire time. He is the attorney for the guy who recorded the video that is likely the only reason they are on trial.

Reminder: if you are going to commit crimes you should not record yourself committing said crimes.

If you haven’t listened to it, the Atlanta Journal Constitution has a podcast called “Breakdown” that covers these high profile cases in the state. The current season is covering the trial of Arbery’s murderers.

One thing that always strikes me, more than people using the N word, is white people referring to Black people are “colored”. In 2020. The owner of the house that was under construction that Arbery had been going into over the past few months was questioned and they played a 911 call he made on one of the occasions Arbery had been walking around his house. He referred to Arbery as a “colored guy”. I think I let out an audible gasp when he said it.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

If you haven’t listened to it, the Atlanta Journal Constitution has a podcast called “Breakdown” that covers these high profile cases in the state. The current season is covering the trial of Arbery’s murderers.

One thing that always strikes me, more than people using the N word, is white people referring to Black people are “colored”. In 2020. The owner of the house that was under construction that Arbery had been going into over the past few months was questioned and they played a 911 call he made on one of the occasions Arbery had been walking around his house. He referred to Arbery as a “colored guy”. I think I let out an audible gasp when he said it.

“What is the difference between colored and people of color,” is a take that I have encountered more than once and I don’t know what to do with myself when it happens.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

“What is the difference between colored and people of color,” is a take that I have encountered more than once and I don’t know what to do with myself when it happens.

I legit made this face 😬😬😬 reading that sentence

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I legit made this face 😬😬😬 reading that sentence

My wife’s great uncle used colored up until he passed away, but he was in his 90’s and just never made the mental shift to more modern terms. If you’re not pushing the century mark I dunno that there’s an excuse. :p

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

My wife’s great uncle used colored up until he passed away, but he was in his 90’s and just never made the mental shift to more modern terms. If you’re not pushing the century mark I dunno that there’s an excuse. :p

I mean, there are obviously worse things. It mostly just takes me by surprise. I think it is pretty clear people dropping N bombs mean it bad, but colored is just a weird one for the olds where I think well meaning dinosaurs say it without any direct animosity. 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I mean, there are obviously worse things. It mostly just takes me by surprise. I think it is pretty clear people dropping N bombs mean it bad, but colored is just a weird one for the olds where I think well meaning dinosaurs say it without any direct animosity. 

My wife’s great uncle used it to refer to Shaquille O’Neal as part of his conspiracy that in his Buick commercials, they made him a special, larger Buick, because there was no way he could fit in a normal one. So… you know, not all the cylinders were firing in sync. :p

This case is really odd because of the Georgia citizen’s arrest law, which was repealed due to this case actually. The McMichaels are alleging that they were making a lawful citizens arrest under the statutes at the time, and there is evidence that plays in their favor and evidence that goes against.

We really should erase our law books about once every 20 years and rewrite them with our current notions in mind. A ton of old and really troubling laws remain on the books across the country and a clever enough defense attorney can potentially get these terrible people off because what they did was legal-ish.