Do you like watching movies with your SO

johnny

I watched Batman Begins and it reminded me of the time I tried to watch that movie with an ex. She was bored after an hour and I was pissed because I love that movie. Ive never really dated a girl that appreciates movies and can sit through something that’s not a comedy or blockbuster movie. 

I almost always watch everything I watch with my wife, she's an actress/director so I guess I lucked out that way. However, I watch a lot more things than she does so I do end up watching plenty of things by myself, which I'm perfectly happy with. I love watching things with her too, though she has a bad tendency to be on her phone a bit too much while we watch things and she will quickly check out of things that she isn't enjoying (even when it still deserves a chance, I think) and she doesn't like to do rewatches much, whereas I love rewatching things I really enjoy. 

So it's all a bit of a mix. 

Nope. Our tastes are so different that we don’t watch much together outside a few shows.  It is hard for us not be snarky at each other’s shows and movies so for the sake of the marriage we keep apart. 

Plus my wife is easily scared and when it happens, she screams. I wanted to go see Mission Impossible Fallout because Tom Cruise is my man crush and she insisted on coming even though I explained the movie is 2hr 30mins long (she hates movies over 1:45) and that it may have scenes that are “scary” and I don’t need you screaming. She said it will be fine. We went and at least twice she got scared and screamed. We got shushed and of course my wife is annoyed and said something. They said something back. I tell her “This is why I wanted to come alone.”

• Haha 2

There are certain movies that I won't watch without her, and there are a lot of things that I know she doesn't care about and wouldn't enjoy.

We saw Eighth Grade this weekend and it was a much better experience having her there. Later I watched The Meg and Infinity War and she has zero interest in those and would more than likely fall asleep. She'd be upset with me if I saw a new Coen Brothers film without her, but I know I can book a single ticket to anything in the MCU.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

IKR? Kinda pisses me off.

It would certainly frustrate me. 

To relate to you though, my wife can binge a TV show endlessly but can't binge a single movie series or just binging on watching movies. She simply can't do it. It's the strangest distinction to me. The same amount of time is put in watching the TV, what does it matter if it's a film or a TV show playing? :p 

Not really. We have almost completely opposite tastes when it comes to media. Usually one of us is watching what we want on the TV while the other is either playing phone games (me) or watching boring ass women yammer on endlessly about their pointless bullshit lives on youtube (her).

I don't like watching anything I really care about with her. She's just not into it and her dislike of it and sensitivity to violence (just about everything I watch) makes me unable to relax and enjoy it.

17 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

No. My wife doesn't like movies. Loves TV shows. Hates movies.

I'm becoming like that. Movies are a long ass commitment and aren't necessarily better these days. Have you seen previews lately? It's all the same movie.

Robot dog

Robot car

You have a gift you didn't know

Something about using it against evil 

Wow so cool 

I can’t imagine life where you and your partner don’t share an affinity similar entertainment. Not that we always fee the same about movies/TV, but we like to watch a lot of the same stuff. It’s like if I married somebody who wasn’t into trying new cuisine, I’d be so sad :p

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I can’t imagine life where you and your partner don’t share an affinity similar entertainment. Not that we always fee the same about movies/TV, but we like to watch a lot of the same stuff. It’s like if I married somebody who wasn’t into trying new cuisine, I’d be so sad :p

I had the same thought but didn't want people feeling like I was calling out their marriages/relationships. :p 

My wife is open to pretty much anything and tries my anime, films, etc. We don't watch everything together, as I said, but we have a lot of the same interests, tastes, hobbies, etc. Obviously we got our own stuff too, but for two people not to overlap much when one if a huge film/TV fan? I can't fathom that heh. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Well, we do enjoy a lot of the same TV at least. And in terms of other entertainment we enjoy similar music. Movies are where we differ though.

10 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

IKR? Kinda pisses me off.

My friend is like this. She basically refuses to watch movies unless it’s a Disney animated film or Harry Potter. She won’t even watch the movies that come from books that she likes because she thinks it’ll ruin the book for her (besides HP obvs) 

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Its not bad. My wife and I have little to no cross over when it comes to entertainment . We never have the same music taste. I like electronics and tech while she perfers arts/crafts and gardening. Outside of TWD and GOT we never watch the same shows. We do occasionly watch movies together but its stuff that fairly shallow, anything that requires paying attention is a no go because she constantly interupts "pause it I need a refill","pause it I need a snack","pause it I think my phone was ringing".

13 hours ago, johnny said:

My friend is like this. She basically refuses to watch movies unless it’s a Disney animated film or Harry Potter. She won’t even watch the movies that come from books that she likes because she thinks it’ll ruin the book for her (besides HP obvs) 

Time to dump this friend. :p 

I like that my wife and I are vastly different in our tastes. It exposes us to things that we wouldn’t normally see/do without the other person and those moments are truly great regardless if we like it or not. I don’t think we would have grown as much as people without it. 

Almost always, yeah. We both share a love for basically every era of film including silent and so on. 

The only thing she can't deal with is when I get into some seriously 'what does it all mean............' deals like the French New Wave cinema, Andrei Tarkovsky and what not. 

One of our favorite date activities is actually going to the movies, usually the little art house places around town.