Sign in to follow this  
ManUtdRedDevils

Anime One-Punch Man Season 2 Announced For April 2019

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Stronger disagree. S1 focused on building Saitama, this season focused on building other heroes, villains, and the world itself. The animation was fine, not omgwtfbbq, but fine.

If I'm going to watch a season that's not specifically focused on Saitama and how he interacts with the other characters, villains, and world, then don't call it One Punch Man

Just now, darkness35 said:

If I'm going to watch a season that's not specifically focused on Saitama and how he interacts with the other characters, villains, and world, then don't call it One Punch Man

That would be a one note boring thing. It needs to build a proper villian.

6 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

I'm okay with more Garou to be honest.  He was the only saving grace for OPM S2.

If you view OPM as a spoof/dissection of the shounen action genre, just picture Genos and Garou as your typical shounen leads. Genos just always falls short and Garou is fighting to protect the honor of the wrong people...things? ...monsters.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

That would be a one note boring thing. It needs to build a proper villian.

.... And who was Boros then?  And even before him, the villains from the first season still had a proper build-up and villain that had destructive and menacing elements.

Garou, so far, has been treated as a joke.  There's no momentum, no build-up, only a slap-shot humor that makes Saitama just a side-character of not giving a damn, which the first season emulated perfectly WHILE providing that tension and buildup. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If you view OPM as a spoof/dissection of the shounen action genre, just picture Genos and Garou as your typical shounen leads. Genos just always falls short and Garou is fighting to protect the honor of the wrong people...things? ...monsters. 

I mean.. sure?  But at that point you could just take Saitama out and call it something else, and at least that would be moderately fine.

My point being is that I'd rather watch OPM for Saitama, not OPM for Garou and Genos and friends.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Ghost_MH where do you go to read the translated manga? I think I’m going to start because I can’t wait 2 years or whatever for S3. :p 

Viz carries One Punch Man in their $2/mo Shounen Jump subscription. Viz is pretty good at keeping you up to date versus the Japanese releases in most cases...other than for One Punch Man. However, One Punch Man also gets weird revisions after release. The whole situation with One Punch Man is weird since the manga is an adaptation of the web comic. The web comics is just...you know...

Image result for one punch man webcomic

5 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

.... And who was Boros then?  And even before him, the villains from the first season still had a proper build-up and villain that had destructive and menacing elements.

Garou, so far, has been treated as a joke.  There's no momentum, no build-up, only a slap-shot humor that makes Saitama just a side-character of not giving a damn, which the first season emulated perfectly WHILE providing that tension and buildup. 

You’re kidding right? Boros had no build up in-terms of character development and neither did any other villain in S1 unless unless you consider the Sea King beating up some heroes before being killed an episode later as “build up”. If you think Garou has been treated like a joke then we watched two different shows.

2 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

I mean.. sure?  But at that point you could just take Saitama out and call it something else, and at least that would be moderately fine.

My point being is that I'd rather watch OPM for Saitama, not OPM for Garou and Genos and friends.

Saitama is the comic relief and deus ex machina of his own series. All of One Punch Man is just so backward compared to most shounen series.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Viz carries One Punch Man in their $2/mo Shounen Jump subscription. Viz is pretty good at keeping you up to date versus the Japanese releases in most cases...other than for One Punch Man. However, One Punch Man also gets weird revisions after release. The whole situation with One Punch Man is weird since the manga is an adaptation of the web comic. The web comics is just...you know...

Image result for one punch man webcomic

Does that sub have an app or is it via web browser?

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Does that sub have an app or is it via web browser?

They have apps in Android, at least. I'd assume the same is true for iOS.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re kidding right? Boros had no build up in-terms of character development and neither did any other villain in S1 unless unless you consider the Sea King beating up some heroes before being killed an episode later as “build up”. 

Honestly not kidding.  Again, probably due to the adaptation, the only development that was noteworthy was just Garou.  Anything else season 1 did it in one episode, minus the Sea King and Boros arc, minimally but concisely enough to see why specific instance was a threat to non-Saitama (and maybe Tatsumaki) characters.

To be fair, like @Ghost_MHsaid, Saitama is the series focal strength and weakness, and I'm probably just going to concede and agree to disagree here.

5 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Honestly not kidding.  Again, probably due to the adaptation, the only development that was noteworthy was just Garou.  Anything else season 1 did it in one episode, minus the Sea King and Boros arc, minimally but concisely enough to see why specific instance was a threat to non-Saitama (and maybe Tatsumaki) characters.

To be fair, like @Ghost_MHsaid, Saitama is the series focal strength and weakness, and I'm probably just going to concede and agree to disagree here.

Yea, that’s not character development which is what I was referencing. By “building” (not build-up) I don’t mean just showing how dangerous/powerful a villain is, that can be done in 5 seconds. :p 

I actually like how Garou is this sad loser to start with. Not 100% bad and fighting what he thinks is the good fight. He's getting what you'd typically see a hero character get in terms of story arc. It's actually a very OPM sort of thing to do, flipping a cliche on its head.

I mean we already got a whole season focused on Saitama. The show runs a serious risk of being one-note if it doesn't take the camera off Saitama for a while, which has the added side effect of making his appearances more exciting.

Verdict

Season 2 of One-Punch Man is a half-baked jumble of poor and lazy animation that is far more concerned with staying relevant than being crafted into something worthy of the season that came before it. If you’re only in it for the advancement of the plot, it’s all here. But it’s also all in the manga, and that looks an awful lot better than this season. So, really, there’s not much of a reason to watch Season 2. Instead, watch Season 1, then re-watch it because it’s that good.

5/10 - IGN “The voice of the people”

15 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Saitama is the comic relief and deus ex machina of his own series. All of One Punch Man is just so backward compared to most shounen series.

Exactly. I haven't seen season two yet, but the entire point of One Punch Man is to viciously and hilariously turn its inspirations on their collective head. The level of subversion in One Punch Man is next level - Garou is a similar example. The show is divisive for this very reason.

Season 2 is probably worse than season 1 on a production level, but we all knew that would be the case. But the above will always hold true about the show, and that will always remain divisive for those it doesn't click with. 

I binge-read the manga via the Shonen Jump app. The anime follows it beat for beat. There was absolutely no filler this season, the issue was that they planned this season SUPER poorly as it should have gone several more chapters, I'd argue at least until 

Spoiler

The Hero Association goes in to attack The Monster Association HQ

Ending it where they did was ending it RIGHT when it starts to ramp up to an insane degree.

Saitama definitely takes a backseat after the alien-invasion from S1. One of the manga covers even jokes about it with Saitama laying down, staring at the sky, saying "I'm never the focus anymore" or something. :lol: . This isn't a bad thing, though, as it allows for some absolutely amazing fights that don't end instantly, with Saitama being used as he should be: coming in nonchalantly and basically unaware of the "threat" or "challenge" or "fear" the others have been getting pummeled by, and ending it with a not-even-serious punch, leaving everyone in shock (ie: the Centichoro/Elder Centipede fight that S2 ended on). :p 

Anyway, S3 should be balls-out incredible and something to look forward to. I cannot wait to see some of the fights from the manga in motion 

Spoiler

The fights on the initial push to get to the MA HQ, Flashy Flash's fight, Phoenix Man vs Child Emperor, Garou vs Orochi. Dear god!

That being said - I'm having a hard time waiting for the next manga chapter, I'm not sure if the Japanese version is ahead or if it's just the Web Comic that's ahead, but @Ghost_MH, how can I go about reading the Web Comic? :batting:

@Spork3245 The webcomic you're on your own with. I think there's a fan translation on KissManga, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. I just know that it's ahead of the manga and was recently started up again after a very long hiatus that would make even Kentaro Miura blush.

I do agree, though. This season ended in a weird place. If it wasn't going to go ~24 episodes, it shouldn't have gone up to Elder Centipede. He should have been the opener for season three.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is a season 3 confirmed?

The guys behind season 2 have said that we should expect a third season, but that's it. No release date or release window. They haven't even actually begun work. If it remains with JC Staff, we'd probably not see something until late 2019 or, more realistically, 2020. If we see a change in animation studios, that could be pushed out further.

Wait that was the end? I can't believe that! They were clearly taking Garou to..

Take the monster cell or something

Wow, OK. Now I'm pissed at it.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Wait that was the end? I can't believe that! They were clearly taking Garou to..

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, OK. Now I'm pissed at it.

That's why I was complaining earlier in this thread that a season this short has no good place to end. It wouldn't be so bad if season 3 was set for later this same year. Unfortunately, that's not the case here.

18 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

@Spork3245 The webcomic you're on your own with. I think there's a fan translation on KissManga, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. I just know that it's ahead of the manga and was recently started up again after a very long hiatus that would make even Kentaro Miura blush.

I do agree, though. This season ended in a weird place. If it wasn't going to go ~24 episodes, it shouldn't have gone up to Elder Centipede. He should have been the opener for season three.

Found the webcomic. Apparently the manga is quite a bit different (Orochi doesn’t even exist in the webcomic) so I’m probably not going to read it. HOWEVER, it seems like the Japanese manga is something like 15 chapters ahead of the Viz Shōnen Jump release :|