Official Thread of Soccer Greed - update: RIP in Peace, European Super League

43 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

UEFA is probably our ally in this. It's never enough for capitalists. They will eventually make a 18-22 league and leave their domestic leagues if you don't kill this now. 

If UEFA is our ally then we are fucked.   We are getting a fucking winter World Cup in Qatar because oil money greased the pockets of FIFA and UEFA while they gave no fucks to slave labor. Fuck FIFA and UEFA. 

I honestly don’t see them leaving the domestic leagues. If anything, they will try to grab more power in the league  and use it to redistribute the money in favor of the top half of the league.  If anything, they are doing a favor by preventing Everton from wasting more money on trash players 

Basically for people that don't understand European bullshit soccer, each season there are three competitions, unlike in American sports. Here we have a regular season and then playoffs that determines a winner. There they have 3 different competitions basically:

1. The regular season. In Spain, it's called La Liga (the league). Like it's an actual honor to just finish the regular season in first place unlike here. This is the second most important title a team can win.

2. The league cup. In Spain it's called La Copa Del Rey. All the Spanish teams compete in a tournament to crown the winner of Spain. Interestingly, this is less prestigious than winning the regular season.

3. Champion's League. This is what this new league would potentially be replacing. The higher ranked teams from the many different European soccer leagues compete in a tournament to crown the winner of Europe. This is the most important title.

All three of these things happen concurrently which I always thought was fucking weird, too. 

I'm not an avid follower, but that is how I understand soccer to work.

25 minutes ago, Comet said:

To me this is eerily similar to college conference realignment rumors of mega conferences made up of the top schools from the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC, and BIGXII. Down to the same talking points of “oh the NCAA will kick them out of their association!” Just like FIFA, UEFA and domestic leagues are talking about - but that’s the point for both of these scenarios. Consolidate power and make your own rules and your own media deals and revenue sharing structures. 

I still think this is shite, and I say it as a die hard City fan. 

I still think they need to do what they have been threatening. It's the big EU teams now but could be big international teams in the future.

Also lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Iculus said:

The biggest disconnect for American sports fans is the concept of teams competing for multiple trophies. I didn't get it until Atlanta United won the MLS cup, and then participated in Copa, Gold Cup, and concacaf. Even then, while I understand the concept, I still don't understand where the leagues exist as far competition/prestige in Europe. This post may not make any sense. 

And the concept of relegation/promotion. The Mariners have been bad for like 20 years now, but they are under no threat of losing their status as a member of the top tier league in the sport.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Basically for people that don't understand European bullshit soccer, each season there are three competitions, unlike in American sports. Here we have a regular season and then playoffs that determines a winner. There they have 3 different competitions basically:

1. The regular season. In Spain, it's called La Liga (the league). Like it's an actual honor to just finish the regular season in first place unlike here. This is the second most important title a team can win.

2. The league cup. In Spain it's called La Copa Del Rey. All the Spanish teams compete in a tournament to crown the winner of Spain. Interestingly, this is less prestigious than winning the regular season.

3. Champion's League. This is what this new league would potentially be replacing. The higher ranked teams from the many different European soccer leagues compete in a tournament to crown the winner of Europe. This is the most important title.

All three of these things happen concurrently which I always thought was fucking weird, too. 

I think that's the way it works for the American leagues as well. I honestly only care about the MLS cup, but ATLUTD have also competed in the Concacaf Chanpions League, U.S. Open Cup,  and the Campeones Cup.I have no idea where the prestige lies.

1 minute ago, Iculus said:

I think that's the way it works for the American leagues as well. I honestly only care about the MLS cup, but ATLUTD have also competed in the Concacaf Chanpions League, U.S. Open Cup,  and the Campeones Cup.I have no idea where the prestige lies.

I don't count MLS as an American sport lol.

I might be fine with a separate league replacing the current champions league format. It would still fuck over teams from smaller countries. Like as it stands now, top teams from Austria, netherlands, etc at least stand a theoretical shot at making it through qualifying (didn't an Israeli club make it decently far this year?). 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Yep.

The one thing I would add, and I think you hit on it with "All the Spanish teams," is that domestic cups, in this case La Copa Del Rey, are open to all Spanish football teams, from top flight (La Liga) all the way down to sometimes tier 10 amateur teams. Same with the FA Cup in UK and US Open Cup in the US.

8 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I still think they need to do what they have been threatening. It's the big EU teams now but could be big international teams in the future.

Also lol

And they just sacked Mourinho. Maybe if PSG miss out on the Super League they can get Poch back.

Since UEFA never enforced the FFP rules and reined in the agents, this is the outcome. The largest teams are in massive debt that has worsened due to the pandemic and need ways to increase revenue. This is their solution. This all starts because UEFA is a failure of an organization. Fuck them. 

American Horror Story Burn GIF by AHS

All this is because the “big” clubs are responsible for drawing most of the revenue and now want a bigger slice of the pie.. this is mostly due because their spending is out of control and they overpay for players in the global market..,

fans are mad and demand clubs are loyal to traditions, at the same time they want clubs to compete at high levels... clubs overspend to compete and go broke lol..

On 4/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, Iculus said:

MLS Cup- Mls post season tournament seeded based on standings.

Supporters Shield- Award to MLS team who amassed the most points in the season. 

US Open Cup- competition to crown best club in the US open to teams at all levels in the US. Mls is top of pyramid so they enter as well.. in a dream scenario a lowly 3rd string local team bucks the odds and makes a big run.

Concacaf Champions League- Same concept as UEFA in that it takes the top teams from various leagues from the region and puts them into a tournament... If you win this you play in the “Club World Cup” where winners of other Champion Leagues (including UEFA) play to determine best club in the world... 

Campeones Cup- BS cash grab where previous season MLS and Liga MX play a one off game for a trophy..

Honestly the Concacaf Champions League should be the most prestigious in the same way that UEFA CL is... but its a hard sell given the lack of exposure... lack of quality teams etc... Mexico owns this competition... the main draw right now is the wait for an MLS team to finally break through and win. Its been close (agonizingly so) but the spending differences between leagues is still evident. 

5 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

MLS Cup- Mls post season tournament seeded based on standings.

Supporters Shield- Award to MLS team who amassed the most points in the season. 

US Open Cup- competition to crown best club in the US open to teams at all levels in the US. Mls is top of pyramid so they enter as well.. in a dream scenario a lowly 3rd string local team bucks the odds and makes a big run.

Concacaf Champions League- Same concept as UEFA in that it takes the top teams from various leagues from the region and puts them into a tournament... If you win this you play in the “Club World Cup” where winners of other Champion Leagues (including UEFA) play to determine best club in the world... 

Campeones Cup- BS cash grab where previous season MLS and Liga MX play a one off game for a trophy..

Honestly the Concacaf Champions League should be the most prestigious in the same way that UEFA CL is... but its a hard sell given the lack of exposure... lack of quality teams etc... Mexico owns this competition... the main draw right now is the wait for an MLS team to finally break through and win. Its been close (agonizingly so) but the spending differences between leagues is still evident. 

And it doesn’t help that the MLS follows their own calendar schedule separate from the rest of the soccer world - which means many MLS clubs are nowhere near their best form when the CONCACAF CL tournament comes around. 

4 hours ago, Comet said:

And it doesn’t help that the MLS follows their own calendar schedule separate from the rest of the soccer world - which means many MLS clubs are nowhere near their best form when the CONCACAF CL tournament comes around. 

Yeah the MLS calendar has always been an issue.. but getting on the global calendar is a no-go with the cold in the northern states.. MLS clubs/fans have used that as a reason for the CCL struggles.. this is the first seadon using a new format... it spreads the games out more favorably now... honestly the CCL caters a little too much to the MLS vs Liga MX narrative.. they are the most “profitable” matches