Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

My guess at this point is hung jury. I just don't see a unanimous verdict in either direction. There was enough solid stuff from both sides that I think preconceived notions heading in will be backed up in the minds of the jurors.

It's too bad the prosecution was not allowed to enter into evidence the carbon monoxide blood test results.  But I also understand the Judge's position on it, and was quite shocked that he would immediately call a mistrial if it was brought up during closing arguments.  Harsh.  But fair. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My guess at this point is hung jury. I just don't see a unanimous verdict in either direction. There was enough solid stuff from both sides that I think preconceived notions heading in will be backed up in the minds of the jurors.

lmao

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

LMAO

i think there could be some jurors who are blue lives matter enough to create a hung jury  but it won’t be because the defense showed solid stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I think he will probably get 3rd degree murder.

Both second degree murder or second degree manslaughter make more sense, but it could be a split the baby option to go third degree murder.

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

LMAO

i think there could be some jurors who are blue lives matter enough to create a hung jury  but it won’t be because the defense showed solid stuff. 

All you need is reasonable doubt, and the defense certainly provided what would give somebody who is biased in favor of police reasonable doubt. Have you actually watched any of the trial, or is this typical CEB “didn’t read the article” stuff :p 

19 hours ago, johnny said:

LMAO

Thats the thing about court, the prosecutions professionals are not more valid than the defenses. And there was plenty (opiates and fentanyl cause respiratory depression) of professional testimony that helped him. 

I 100% believe Chauvin deserves prison and is a racist murderer, but I don't really believe that will be the outcome.

If there is a mistrial, or he gets off, I expect April 21, 1992 LA, except country wide. Probably with a genuine race war in the streets. In fact, Chauvin getting off, and it causing real mass riots and unrest, might be the only thing that will trigger real change, for better or worst.

20 hours ago, johnny said:

LMAO

Common bro, the crowd was distracting him cause they were mad he was killing Floyd and he ended up killing him!

Nothing I saw or read from the defense explained how or why a grown man digging his knee into a suspect’s neck for 8 minutes is incapable of contributing to that man’s death...George Floyd might have been a walking cardiac event waiting to happen loaded up on dope, but that doesn’t explain away the root issue (i.e. just because it was easier for him to die doesn’t mean Chauvin didn’t cause it). George Floyd being in poor health doesn’t negate Chauvin causing his death. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Nothing I saw or read from the defense explained how or why a grown man digging his knee into a suspect’s neck for 8 minutes is incapable of contributing to that man’s death...George Floyd might have been a walking cardiac event waiting to happen loaded up on dope, but that doesn’t explain away the root issue (i.e. just because it was easier for him to die doesn’t mean Chauvin didn’t cause it). George Floyd being in poor health doesn’t negate Chauvin causing his death. 

They showed one of the other camera angles where even the prosecution witnesses agreed that it appeared to show Chauvin release the neck hold and move his knee to the shoulder of Floyd.

53 minutes ago, Chris- said:

“Even if Eric Chauvin’s knee to the neck killed Floyd, it was only a matter of time before the bullets from an officer’s gun accidentally flew into his body anyway...”

I don’t know how it’s gonna go, but I thought the prosecution built a strong case, getting law enforcement and health professionals to talk about the excessive force and cause of death, and getting ahead of the defense on the “It was his health” argument.

I know I’m biased, of course. Just my two cents that I didn’t watch thinking I was watching 2016 Democrats.

It’ll be in the jury’s hands soon and their opinions will be what actually count.