Dog lick caused infection

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/man-who-lost-his-limbs-after-dog-lick-caused-infection-speaks-out-i-m-not-looking-back/ar-BBLLjdP?ocid=AMZN

But because his body had decreased circulation to his limbs in response to the infection, doctors had to amputate Manteufel’s legs. Two weeks later, they removed his forearms, as well.

Dawn Zwicker-Manteufel, Manteufel’s wife, has been a constant presence at the hospital as he recovers — and will continue to be as he prepares for at least three more surgeries expected in the coming days.

After Manteufel’s hospitalization, a GoFundMe was set up to help the family with medical costs, and Manteufel hopes to be fitted for leg and hand prosthetics once he leaves the hospital.

Manteufel says he and the family will have to sell their two-story home to look for a place that will be more suitable to his needs going forward.

Despite how quickly his life changed forever, Manteufel is in good spirits.

“I’m good to go. My mind is right, I’m not looking back one minute,” he says. “It sucks, but what are you gonna do, you know? My mind’s been 100 percent positive through all of this. Looking back is going to get you nowhere.”

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

I mean, I've had a pomeranian a few years ago that licked me constantly.  Didn't have any issues. 

Wisconsin, you guys okay there with your dogs?

Have you seen the people on Making A Murderer? Personally, I hope when North Korea’s nuke misses its target, it wipes out Wisconsin. 

18 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

How is that possible what the hell 

As Manteufel’s family rushed him to a local hospital, his face began to turn black and blue. Doctors at the hospital evaluated Manteufel and transferred him to Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee, where he was treated for a blood infection caused by capnocytophaga, a bacteria found in the mouths of many dogs and cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

While the bacteria doesn’t make animals ill, if it’s spread to humans through saliva — which is extremely rare, the CDC notes — it can cause fevers, diarrhea, headaches and vomiting. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the infection can also lead to “severe sepsis and fatal septic shock, [and] gangrene of the digits or extremities.”