Jump to content

Dog lick caused infection

Recommended Posts



But because his body had decreased circulation to his limbs in response to the infection, doctors had to amputate Manteufel’s legs. Two weeks later, they removed his forearms, as well.

Dawn Zwicker-Manteufel, Manteufel’s wife, has been a constant presence at the hospital as he recovers — and will continue to be as he prepares for at least three more surgeries expected in the coming days.

After Manteufel’s hospitalization, a GoFundMe was set up to help the family with medical costs, and Manteufel hopes to be fitted for leg and hand prosthetics once he leaves the hospital.

Manteufel says he and the family will have to sell their two-story home to look for a place that will be more suitable to his needs going forward.

Despite how quickly his life changed forever, Manteufel is in good spirits.

“I’m good to go. My mind is right, I’m not looking back one minute,” he says. “It sucks, but what are you gonna do, you know? My mind’s been 100 percent positive through all of this. Looking back is going to get you nowhere.”


Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

I mean, I've had a pomeranian a few years ago that licked me constantly.  Didn't have any issues. 


Wisconsin, you guys okay there with your dogs?



Have you seen the people on Making A Murderer? Personally, I hope when North Korea’s nuke misses its target, it wipes out Wisconsin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

How is that possible what the hell 


As Manteufel’s family rushed him to a local hospital, his face began to turn black and blue. Doctors at the hospital evaluated Manteufel and transferred him to Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee, where he was treated for a blood infection caused by capnocytophaga, a bacteria found in the mouths of many dogs and cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

While the bacteria doesn’t make animals ill, if it’s spread to humans through saliva — which is extremely rare, the CDC notes — it can cause fevers, diarrhea, headaches and vomiting. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the infection can also lead to “severe sepsis and fatal septic shock, [and] gangrene of the digits or extremities.”


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...