Any Destiny fans? What are the major differences between Destiny and Destiny 2?

Hurdyb1

1 with all the DLC is better. In the end if you were not a fan of D1, D2 will not win you over either. You may still find entertainment like you did with D1. 

I do not know how many people still play D1, so some activities may be a pain or impossible to do now. 

Vanilla D2 may be so cheap because there is currently $30 of DLC out now with another $40 DLC coming in Sept that will require all existing DLC. 

I think there is a trial of D2 you can download. Maybe try that first. 

One major difference between the two from a casual player of both was the way they handled weapons / armor. In Destiny 1, when you got a rare named weapons, it would / could have random stats I think. (Forgive me, I'm probably off on the finer details). In two, the named guns / armor were the same stats for everyone. So once you had that gun, you had the same gun every other idiot had. 

It didn't really bother me, but I think it annoyed the diehards. 

If you don't plan on playing the game like a psycho, there's not a huge difference. They'll feel generally the same with some quality of life improvements in 2. 

Destiny in my opinion is a game that people could probably love if you went in with low expectations. I bought into the hype (twice) and was massively disappointed both times. There's a game in there somewhere, but damn if they don't totally miss the mark outside the gameplay itself. 

In terms of things to do, like missions, story, end game content, etc. It really hasn't changed all that much. Still have raids to do, still have weekly nightfalls, iron banner pops up every once in awhile, weekly Trials of Osiris, still have a story to rush through.

Gameplay has changed a little bit, like you have two "main" weapons (hand cannon, pulse/scout/auto rifle, sub machine gun, sidearm) and one Heavy (sniper, shotgun, fusion, rocket, grenade launcher). PvP is 4v4 instead of 6v6 (with the exception being Iron Banner). New supers. Though a lot of changes are happening in the next expansion. PvP is going back to 6v6, you'll be able to equip any weapon to any slot (you can run 3 snipers if you want).

$10 for D2 will get you a decent campaign and a bunch of stuff to do post-game if you're into it. They've made big strides improving the game, and while not all of them require the dlc, Warmind has been a really solid expansion. September would probably be the time to jump in as they'll probably be selling a complete edition. 

Having put in 1000 hours into D1, I was burned out and burnt by what D2 offered initially at launch. That said, after the reveal of Cayde's fate with the incoming Awoken DLC, I was compelled to get back in and I went through the campaign and 2 DLC's fairly quickly. It's like an old flame reignited and I'm loving my time with it to be sure.

As for differences, the static stat rolls will be null and void come September as they are re-integrating random rolls again (YAY!) and bringing back 6v6 across the board (thank fuck!) but aside from that it's pretty close to the original but far prettier with the 4K/HDR capabilities.

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Having put in 1000 hours into D1, I was burned out and burnt by what D2 offered initially at launch. That said, after the reveal of Cayde's fate with the incoming Awoken DLC, I was compelled to get back in and I went through the campaign and 2 DLC's fairly quickly. It's like an old flame reignited and I'm loving my time with it to be sure.

As for differences, the static stat rolls will be null and void come September as they are re-integrating random rolls again (YAY!) and bringing back 6v6 across the board (thank fuck!) but aside from that it's pretty close to the original but far prettier with the 4K/HDR capabilities.

The biggest problem with 6v6 right now is that they don’t work with the maps at all, especially after the speed update. There is a very small selection of the maps we have the fit a 6v6 battlefield. I hope they plan on introducing a good selection of maps for the DLC. 

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

The biggest problem with 6v6 right now is that they don’t work with the maps at all, especially after the speed update. There is a very small selection of the maps we have the fit a 6v6 battlefield. I hope they plan on introducing a good selection of maps for the DLC. 

That is one thing they haven't got right - the PVP is just not fun, in any mode, for a variety of reasons. I've never once loaded into the crucible just to play a few matches for fun. I only play it to achieve some sort of in game goal, then I quit as soon as it's achieved, even mid-match. I really hope the fall update fixes it. 

13 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

That is one thing they haven't got right - the PVP is just not fun, in any mode, for a variety of reasons. I've never once loaded into the crucible just to play a few matches for fun. I only play it to achieve some sort of in game goal, then I quit as soon as it's achieved, even mid-match. I really hope the fall update fixes it. 

Honestly I think 6v6 isn't going to fix anything. Neither is allowing any weapon in any slot. Even the speed update was the right intention with the wrong implementation.

The problem with PvP is that kill times were far to slow, there was never an opportunity for individual skill. That was the amazing thing about thorn and TLW, everyone had one, but if you were good you could pull double or triple plays with it. You can't do that in D2, the speed update never should have been about the actual speed of the character, but about the weapons.

Agreed. The current kill times with vigilance and Graviton should be what they're aiming for with all guns. There's really not much that stacks up against them right now. Making it rain heavy ammo was also not a solution, it's further intensifying the problem. 

It's also not just that I don't like it and wish it was D1 crucible, I wish it was like any other pvp game so long as it's good. If I'm in the mood to play an online shooter, Destiny 2 would be my absolute last choice. It's in a bad place. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Agreed. The current kill times with vigilance and Graviton should be what they're aiming for with all guns. There's really not much that stacks up against them right now. Making it rain heavy ammo was also not a solution, it's further intensifying the problem. 

It's also not just that I don't like it and wish it was D1 crucible, I wish it was like any other pvp game so long as it's good. If I'm in the mood to play an online shooter, Destiny 2 would be my absolute last choice. It's in a bad place. 

I've been playing PvP on PC and it honestly feels better on PC to me.  I just can't do PvP on console for some reason.  I played IB all weekend and I was actually enjoying it.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, eggydoo said:

I've been playing PvP on PC and it honestly feels better on PC to me.  I just can't do PvP on console for some reason.  I played IB all weekend and I was actually enjoying it.

60 FPS makes the game feel so much better. I'm better on console than I am PC, but I'm getting better.