Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

• b_m_b_m_b_m changed the title to Biden to withdraw all US forces from Afghanistan by 9/11/21
4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Rudy is highly upset over this obvious stunt move of doing it on 9/11

200.gif

i4s9i0t6zj1drz3ezimq.jpg
POLITICS.THEONION.COM

NEW YORK—At a well-attended rally in front of his new Ground Zero headquarters Monday, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani officially announced his plan to run for president of 9/11.

I72VHMEC2YI6XPRCGLJTDWDVGA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Biden must pray that the troops he is bringing home will never have to go back.

There's absolutely nothing in this op-ed explaining what better conditions to leave under would look like, how we would get to those conditions, or how much longer it would take. It's just like a dozen paragraphs to write, "Yeah, but what if it's bad though"

5 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:
I72VHMEC2YI6XPRCGLJTDWDVGA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Biden must pray that the troops he is bringing home will never have to go back.

There's absolutely nothing in this op-ed explaining what better conditions to leave under would look like, how we would get to those conditions, or how much longer it would take. It's just like a dozen paragraphs to write, "Yeah, but what if it's bad though"

Ohh it’ll be bad alright

I'm in the camp of, "This is great, but I honestly don't know if things will get really bad there. Or if there are any circumstances where it'll be good enough to not have troops deployed."

And while I haven't read as much into this, maybe that's the point: we shouldn't have been in there for so long in the first place since it would take forever to have a stable country.

Step 1--draw loose border around an anarchic desert, call it a 'country'

Step 2--invade said country, say you're doing it to bring 'peace' to it and to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century

Step 3--fail massively in your 'civilizing mission' for 20 years

Step 4--promise to leave for about 10 of said 20 years, fail massively at actually fulfilling that promise, too

Step 5--Look for silver lining in the whole affair, fail massively once more

Step 6--declare success, learn nothing

Foolproof plan I tell you, followed to perfection and, best of all in these divided times, planned and executed in a bipartisan manner!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Step 2--invade said country, say you're doing it to bring 'peace' to it and to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century

To be fair that was more Iraq. The messaging was this for Afghanistan too, but it was much more: "we're invading to get Al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden for 9/11 since the Taliban are resisting giving him up and harboring him" than it was helping Afghanistan at all and freeing them from Taliban rule. 

9 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The appropriate response after 9/11 would have been for the US to pay Iran and Pakistan to go into Afghanistan and fight the Taliban and Al Qaeda.  And after they get done with those two groups, we could've turned Iran and Pakistan against each other. 

The Taliban were the creation of Pakistan's ISI - there is no way Islamabad would've agreed to that 

10 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Step 1--draw loose border around an anarchic desert, call it a 'country'

Step 3--fail massively in your 'civilizing mission' for 20 years

Step 4--promise to leave for about 10 of said 20 years, fail massively at actually fulfilling that promise, too

Step 5--Look for silver lining in the whole affair, fail massively once more

Step 6--declare success, learn nothing

Foolproof plan I tell you, followed to perfection and, best of all in these divided times, planned and executed in a bipartisan manner!

You just described the White Man's experience in any failures.