Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

On 8/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jwheel86 said:

If we had kept Bagram, easy. But for some reason we decided to evacuate via an airport in a dense urban city. Every aircraft on the tarmac is RPG bait. Black Hawk Down could get a sequel tonight. 

I've been pondering this for quite some time and the main reason I can come up with declining to use Bagram to execute the evacuation is the fact that Bagram is 30 miles from Kabul which would require thousands of people to make an overland trek from Kabul to Bagram or the use of far more helicopters than we could possibly have available to shuttle them to Bagram.

As defensible a perimeter as Bagram possesses (though let's face it - there really ain't no such thing as a defensible perimeter against a jihadist with a bomb strapped to their body), there are simply some pretty significant logistical challenges for an evacuation scenario that Bagram inherently has that KIA does not.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As of this morning, the US has evacuated 105,000 people from KIA, the UK is about to end its operation, and Turkey is in discussions with the Taliban about taking over the running of KIA.

That's a massive amount. Really puts into perspective the media's portrayal of it all.

God, I forgot how mentally painful it is to listen to Trump speak. I mean, I remember very well... but sometimes, when you haven't heard him in a while, you can forget just what a colossal dipshit he really is.

He sounds exactly like someone drunk uncle at thanksgiving who thinks he knows the answer to everything. The fact that anyone, and I mean ANYONE can listen to LITERALLY ANYTHING that man says and take it seriously makes me fear for all of humanity.

How did 74 million people vote for that man? We're completely fucked. The world is done.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: death toll from Kabul International Airport atrocity increases to 170

I can't handle all the dumb fucking takes. Just look at this:

To compare troops in Afghanistan to troops in Korea??? Like, I've been to the main base in Seoul. I took a dance class there with my wife and had an adequate Philly cheese steak at a restaurant there. I had a Thanksgiving dinner there once with friends. I don't believe I'm getting onto the Kabul army base so easily. All the dumbfucks who were wrong about Afghanistan and Iraq in the first place continue to be given airtime and newspaper columns. If there were any justice in the world they'd be strung up by their thumbs.

6 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

To compare troops in Afghanistan to troops in Korea??? Like, I've been to the main base in Seoul. I took a dance class there with my wife and had an adequate Philly cheese steak at a restaurant there. I had a Thanksgiving dinner there once with friends. I don't believe I'm getting onto the Kabul army base so easily. All the dumbfucks who were wrong about Afghanistan and Iraq in the first place continue to be given airtime and newspaper columns. If there were any justice in the world they'd be strung up by their thumbs.

Yeah, super dumb take.  I got shit faced out in town in both Korea and Japan when I was in the Navy.  There is no way in hell that Afghanistan, even in 50 years of "presence" is going to resemble Germany, Japan, or Korea. 

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah, super dumb take.  I got shit faced out in town in both Korea and Japan when I was in the Navy.  There is no way in hell that Afghanistan, even in 50 years of "presence" is going to resemble Germany, Japan, or Korea. 

The base was right in downtown Seoul! There were bus stops 5 feet from the wall. But sure, Afghanistan is the same thing.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

Rep-Darrell-Issa-Getty.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

California Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Cali., on Friday announced the rescue of two additional San Diego families who were stranded in Afghanistan.

Behold, the stupidest thing ever written in the history of mankind.

This totally redeems him now!

But what did he do? Nothing?

I did a little bit of follow up on it. He got contacted by the people who knew the families and then passed the information on to government. That's what he did. Or in other words, absolutely nothing at all. This man made a phone call to the government who flew them out.

https://www.kusi.com/rep-darrell-issa-discusses-getting-san-diego-families-out-of-afghanistan/

So that gets him a headline of "He rescued Families!" in a sea of headlines saying "Biden is murdering families!" "Biden did all of this" "Bad Bad Bad, Biden Bad!"

You could easily take this article, scratch out Issa's name and put in Bidens and it would actually be more true.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Lol, I don't know much about the situation in Germany, but SK only wants us there because of NK, and the Japanese sure as shit don't want us there at all.

This is wild stuff, but basically Ghani was a fucking idiot and he should be flown back to Kabul and executed.

HXRK2NQGQUI6ZM6EYRRLD3OPZA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The fall of Kabul brought military defeat to the U.S. and its Afghan allies. It could have gone very differently.

U.S. officials were as surprised as anyone. The Americans had expected Ghani would stay for an orderly transition to an interim authority, as the agreement that negotiators in Doha had struck promised. News of Ghani’s departure, received secondhand, meant that hope had been crushed.

“He not only abandoned his country, but then unraveled the security situation in Kabul,” said a senior U.S. official. “People just simply melted away, from the airport to everywhere else.” In the void, law and order began to break down, with reports of armed gangs moving through the streets. In a hastily arranged in-person meeting, senior U.S. military leaders in Doha — including McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command — spoke with Abdul Ghani Baradar, head of the Taliban’s political wing. “We have a problem,” Baradar said, according to the U.S. official. “We have two options to deal with it: You [the United States military] take responsibility for securing Kabul or you have to allow us to do it.”

McKenzie, aware of those orders, told Baradar that the U.S. mission was only to evacuate American citizens, Afghan allies and others at risk. The United States, he told Baradar, needed the airport to do that.

On the spot, an understanding was reached, according to two other U.S. officials: The United States could have the airport until Aug. 31. But the Taliban would control the city.

Fighters were now on the move throughout Kabul, with the group’s spokesman issuing a revision of his earlier guidance: The Taliban hadn’t intended to take Kabul that day. But Ghani’s exit gave the group no choice.

“The government has left all of their ministries; you have to enter the city to prevent further disorder and protect public property and services from chaos,” read a message that pinged on Muhammad Nasir Haqqani’s phone.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

This is wild stuff, but basically Ghani was a fucking idiot and he should be flown back to Kabul and executed.

HXRK2NQGQUI6ZM6EYRRLD3OPZA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The fall of Kabul brought military defeat to the U.S. and its Afghan allies. It could have gone very differently.

U.S. officials were as surprised as anyone. The Americans had expected Ghani would stay for an orderly transition to an interim authority, as the agreement that negotiators in Doha had struck promised. News of Ghani’s departure, received secondhand, meant that hope had been crushed.

“He not only abandoned his country, but then unraveled the security situation in Kabul,” said a senior U.S. official. “People just simply melted away, from the airport to everywhere else.” In the void, law and order began to break down, with reports of armed gangs moving through the streets. In a hastily arranged in-person meeting, senior U.S. military leaders in Doha — including McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command — spoke with Abdul Ghani Baradar, head of the Taliban’s political wing. “We have a problem,” Baradar said, according to the U.S. official. “We have two options to deal with it: You [the United States military] take responsibility for securing Kabul or you have to allow us to do it.”

McKenzie, aware of those orders, told Baradar that the U.S. mission was only to evacuate American citizens, Afghan allies and others at risk. The United States, he told Baradar, needed the airport to do that.

On the spot, an understanding was reached, according to two other U.S. officials: The United States could have the airport until Aug. 31. But the Taliban would control the city.

Fighters were now on the move throughout Kabul, with the group’s spokesman issuing a revision of his earlier guidance: The Taliban hadn’t intended to take Kabul that day. But Ghani’s exit gave the group no choice.

“The government has left all of their ministries; you have to enter the city to prevent further disorder and protect public property and services from chaos,” read a message that pinged on Muhammad Nasir Haqqani’s phone.

webp.net-resizeimage%20(23).jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Detailed notes of three classified calls provided to POLITICO show top Pentagon officials knew of imminent threat, but struggled to close Abbey Gate.

On a separate call at 4 that afternoon, or 12:30 a.m. on Thursday in Kabul, the commanders detailed a plan to close Abbey Gate by Thursday afternoon Kabul time. But the Americans decided to keep the gate open longer than they wanted in order to allow their British allies, who had accelerated their withdrawal timeline, to continue evacuating their personnel, based at the nearby Baron Hotel.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Afghanistan Update: the final US military aircraft have departed KIA, Taliban now control airport