Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The insatiable bloodlust Americans will have when the first casualties at the hands of China come in will inevitably lead to nuclear war

My concern about any war with China is someone looking at the disparity between our nuclear arsenal and their nuclear arsenal and thinking "I think we can take their counter strikes "

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know if I'd go that far yet. Defense of Taiwan would start WW3. I don't think China would go there... yet.

Probably in my lifetime, though.

Not actually defending Taiwan, just buying all the stuff needed to in theory to defend Taiwan.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jason said:

Trump would have done the same as Biden, only he would have done it while shooting out abrasive tweets about “needing to get out of sh*thole countries”, and the right-wing—minus Lynne Cheney and the National Review crowd—would be cheering our speedy exit and his ‘straight talk.’

Honestly I had hoped the anti-military interventionist shift on the right (anti-Trump neocon holdouts aside) during the Trump years signaled a larger, authentic, long-term ideological change, but it’s clear now as I watch the broader reaction to the troop pullout that it was just taken up as part of Trump boosterism —the alt-right went along with it because, well, they’ll go along with anything just to watch Trump ‘own the libs’…even adopt the libs’ positions.

The Economist published quite a few articles from these "intellectual luminaries":

20210821_opd005.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

As it leaves Afghanistan in chaos, America’s decline mirrors Britain’s a century ago. It may also invite wider conflict, warns a historian | By Invitation

20210821_opd004.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

Afghanistan does not mark the end of the American era; the challenge to its global standing is political polarisation at home, says a foreign-policy expert | By Invitation

20210828_opd006.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

A favourable geography gives the United States many advantages over its rivals, including the freedom to make calamitous mistakes | By Invitation

This was the appropriate response to them:

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Economist published quite a few articles from these "intellectual luminaries":

20210821_opd005.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

As it leaves Afghanistan in chaos, America’s decline mirrors Britain’s a century ago. It may also invite wider conflict, warns a historian | By Invitation

20210821_opd004.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

Afghanistan does not mark the end of the American era; the challenge to its global standing is political polarisation at home, says a foreign-policy expert | By Invitation

20210828_opd006.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

A favourable geography gives the United States many advantages over its rivals, including the freedom to make calamitous mistakes | By Invitation

This was the appropriate response to them:

I regret ever having subscribed to this magazine

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: suicide bombing attack outside gate of Kabul International Airport
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: suicide bombing attacks outside gate of Kabul International Airport

From The Guardian:

A journalist in Kabul has translated and sent this statement from the Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, saying the Americans had been told about a possible Isis attack on Kabul airport.

“The Taliban are committed to the international community and will not allow terrorists to use Afghanistan as a base for their operations. The Taliban have warned US troops about possible terrorist groups such as ISIS,” Mujahid said.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: suicide bombing attacks outside gate of Kabul International Airport, IS-KP is the prime suspect
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: IS-KP suspected in twin suicide bombings near Kabul International Airport