Jordan Vogt-Roberts has been tapped to direct a live action Gundam movie for Netflix...

Netflix doesn't have the best track record for live action adaptation of anime, but Gundam also isn't really your typical anime. Vogt-Roberts could be a pretty good fit, but we'll see. A good Gundam movie should be primarily political drama with crazy cool mechs. I'm going to assume that this will be his next film after Metal Gear Solid.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was always aware of Gundam but never watched any of the series. Did they ever come to the states officially? I'd there an order in which to watch them?

There's no order for lot of Gundam. Many of the most popular series are self contained stories in alternate timelines. There are a good number of series that take place in the Universal Century timeline. Those are the closest any anime gets to something like Star Wars, with a single linking storyline covered in movies and TV series starting in 1979 with the original Gundam series up through this year's Gundam Hathaway.

If the Universal Century stuff is what you're most interested in, there are timelines out there, but it is VERY much mostly a war drama...just with mechs. I always feel the need to earn people because they remember Gundam Wing and think it's all big robot go boom. A lot of the Gundam UC stuff is political/war drama. Only instead of trench warfare, they're flying mechs around in space and trying to blow up space stations. My favorite of the UC stuff is 08th MS Team. You can watch that series on Hulu. The original 1979 Gundam series is on Crunchyroll, but you can get an updated summary series on Hulu with Gundam The Origin. A great newer entry in the UC timeline is Gundam Unicorn. That one is on Netflix.

If so if that sounds way too damn complicated, here are my favorite Gundam series outside of the main storyline: Gundam 00 (Hulu), Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans (Hulu and Netflix), Gundam Seed (Hulu).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

There's no order for lot of Gundam. Many of the most popular series are self contained stories in alternate timelines. There are a good number of series that take place in the Universal Century timeline. Those are the closest any anime gets to something like Star Wars, with a single linking storyline covered in movies and TV series starting in 1979 with the original Gundam series up through this year's Gundam Hathaway.

If the Universal Century stuff is what you're most interested in, there are timelines out there, but it is VERY much mostly a war drama...just with mechs. I always feel the need to earn people because they remember Gundam Wing and think it's all big robot go boom. A lot of the Gundam UC stuff is political/war drama. Only instead of trench warfare, they're flying mechs around in space and trying to blow up space stations. My favorite of the UC stuff is 08th MS Team. You can watch that series on Hulu. The original 1979 Gundam series is on Crunchyroll, but you can get an updated summary series on Hulu with Gundam The Origin. A great newer entry in the UC timeline is Gundam Unicorn. That one is on Netflix.

If so if that sounds way too damn complicated, here are my favorite Gundam series outside of the main storyline: Gundam 00 (Hulu), Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans (Hulu and Netflix), Gundam Seed (Hulu).

Yeah, the original "UC" timeline of Gundam is one interlocking, deeply connected universe with lots of TV shows, movies, and OVA's. It's the best timeline with the most interesting stories (for the most part). Most other Gundam shows not part of the UC (universal century) timeline are basically standalone shows in their own universes/timelines (though they often borrow many ideas, etc. from the original UC timeline and shows for their concepts, etc. so it still is Gundam in its way). 

I highly recommend the UC timeline from the beginning, in terms of production order. Almost all of the Gundam shows (UC and not UC) have been released in the states, many of them with dubs if one needs that.

38 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, the original "UC" timeline of Gundam is one interlocking, deeply connected universe with lots of TV shows, movies, and OVA's. It's the best timeline with the most interesting stories (for the most part). Most other Gundam shows not part of the UC (universal century) timeline are basically standalone shows in their own universes/timelines (though they often borrow many ideas, etc. from the original UC timeline and shows for their concepts, etc. so it still is Gundam in its way). 

I highly recommend the UC timeline from the beginning, in terms of production order. Almost all of the Gundam shows (UC and not UC) have been released in the states, many of them with dubs if one needs that.

I'm, honestly, shocked how much Gundam is on Hulu. I watched a lot of this stuff on VHS and DVD way back when. I had no idea all the major series are on Hulu. They have the original series and Origin, 08th MS Team, 00, Seed, Wing, and Iron Blooded Orphans. Netflix has Iron Blooded Orphans and Unicorn. Crunchyroll also has the original series plus the Gundam Build stuff that we can totally pretend don't exist.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm, honestly, shocked how much Gundam is on Hulu. I watched a lot of this stuff on VHS and DVD way back when. I had no idea all the major series are on Hulu. They have the original series and Origin, 08th MS Team, 00, Seed, Wing, and Iron Blooded Orphans. Netflix has Iron Blooded Orphans and Unicorn. Crunchyroll also has the original series plus the Gundam Build stuff that we can totally pretend don't exist.

A lot of them, even the older ones, have even gotten physical blu-ray releases! 

On 4/13/2021 at 2:45 PM, Greatoneshere said:

A lot of them, even the older ones, have even gotten physical blu-ray releases! 

Thanks God for that. 

Also in regards to UC series the ones that deal with the later UC (0120+) are stand alone. F91 is a movie but wad supposed to be a TV series. Victory Gundam is a bit wonky in that Bandai forced the first five episodes to be reshuffled however beyond that it ranks as one of the best series. 

Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn, and Narrative are all pretty related. Origin is related as well but it isn't a retelling of Mobile Suit Gundam. The anime is more back story then anything else. The manga it's based on is a retelling but Sunrise seems opposed to redoing Gundam 0079. The animation is bad but the story is good. There is a movie trilogy for Gundam 0079. The animation is improved but that is more for the 2nd and 3rd movies. The OVAs 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083 are pretty stand alone. Though 0083 provides back story to Zeta Gundam. Thunderbolt is good too.

I'd say Iron Blooded Orphans is a good start but be warned it's grim darker then it first appears. G Gundam is also fun. Gundam Wing is enjoyable but jt is melodramatic. Gundam 00 is pretty good as well. Need to watch Turn A.

For Zeta you may want to sail the high seas of the internet. The US release doesn't include the opening, insert, and ending music. The UC shows not dubbed are Double Zeta and Victory Gundam. The alternate universe shows not dubbed are Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Reconguista in G.

There is a new series called Build Fighters. It's not a traditional gundam show. It's based around the idea of Gundam model kits having a VR battle game. I enjoyed what I have watched but your interest in Gundam model kits and the series will probably determine if it's for you.

If you like reading check out the Gundam novel. We only have the original 0079 trilogy in the US but it's an excellent novel. Basically what Gundam would have been if Sunrise didn't need to sell toys to children.

If you like Gundam mecha and enjoy model kits I recommend trying out Gunpla. They have a wide range of kits available. In terms of gaming SD Gundam is on steam. It's like Fire Emblem with mecha as your units. The only on steam is all alternate universe series based. You can also get Super Robot Wars. Same idea as SD Gundam only it's a crossover series with other mecha anime. Best to get it on a Switch. You can either import them or set up a Hong Kong account and buy them. They are on steam but are region locked and I think VPNs can get you banned from steam.