Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (16 Apr 2024) - Ukraine "ran out of missiles" around Kyiv, which allowed Russia to destroy major power plant

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official "Who Really Gives A Damn About Ukraine?" Thread*~ - update: Biden informs NATO officials that Putin has authorized the invasion to begin next week
4616.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Invasion could come within a few days, diplomats say after White House holds situation room meeting

Joe Biden has told other Nato and EU leaders that the US believes Vladimir Putin has decided to carry out an invasion of Ukraine, which could happen in the next few days, according to diplomatic sources.

Biden’s call to allies followed a situation room meeting at the White House to discuss the latest intelligence on the Russian military buildup, and on Putin’s thinking.

The US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, said on Friday there were “very troubling signs of Russian escalation”.

“We’re in a window when an invasion could begin at any time – and to be clear, that includes during the Olympics,” Blinken said.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official "Who Really Gives A Damn About Ukraine?" Thread*~ - update: Biden informs NATO/EU officials that Putin has authorized the invasion to begin next week
6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also...what do we think are the chances of at least some connection of the timing of the large-scale "trucker" protests in North America/Europe with this? My bet is that Russia has been fomenting/supporting this for months and triggered it to happen now in order to create more chaos.

It would certainly fit the Russian playbook to foment domestic chaos in NATO countries to try to distract us from their military adventurism.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Depending on what happens, I expect Poland to be on the receiving end of a massive humanitarian refugee crisis, with Ukrainians fleeing across the border to escape Russian invasion. I guess it all depends on what Russia does (make it clear they are only taking the east, etc).

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official "Who Really Gives A Damn About Ukraine?" Thread*~ - update: CIA/DoD estimates invasion to begin on February 16
1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Depending on what happens, I expect Poland to be on the receiving end of a massive humanitarian refugee crisis, with Ukrainians fleeing across the border to escape Russian invasion. I guess it all depends on what Russia does (make it clear they are only taking the east, etc).

That's the immediate expectation.

Everything I've seen is that Russia will invade Ukraine within the next 2 weeks , and if they don't by then, then it probably won't happen.

The thing that fucks me up is that Russia has to know that Ukraine's strategy will basically be like Finland in the winter war. "We know we can't win a protracted fight, but every inch will have to be paid for in blood."

The Winter War was kind of a pyrrhic victory for Russia.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Everything I've seen is that Russia will invade Ukraine within the next 2 weeks , and if they don't by then, then it probably won't happen.

The thing that fucks me up is that Russia has to know that Ukraine's strategy will basically be like Finland in the winter war. "We know we can't win a protracted fight, but every inch will have to be paid for in blood."

The Winter War was kind of a pyrrhic victory for Russia.

An alternate take on the "Finlandization" talk. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's not even going to be remotely close to the "Winter War".

Outside of a few thousand (if that) die-hard nationalists, the vast majority of the Ukrainian military will shrug their shoulders, simply decide that "This shit ain't worth it", and melt away.

I hope that's the case.

• True 1

It's going to be interesting to see how well the rest of the world keeps to their word on sanctions and ending existing deals with Russia after they invade. If they fail then I really think China will finally make their move on Taiwan in the not too distant future (HK has been a warmup).