Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (22 Mar 2024) - Poland: If America is an unreliable ally, then nations must begin building their own nuclear weapons for deterrence

13 hours ago, CayceG said:

I don't believe it. 

I don't believe that the Kremlin has the intention of invading. What I do believe is that they have a contingency plan in place if they decide they need to launch an invasion. That does not mean they will do it, want to do it, or intend on doing it. 

The Western press has revealed it really has no clue when it comes to reporting on geopolitics involving non-Western countries.

It’s bad with Russia and worse with China.  On the latter subject even non-mainstream outlets who are typically skeptical of the ‘consensus narrative’ have no idea what’s really going on.  Hence why the whole press corps, from the NYT to ZeroHedge, still think the Chinese viewed Trump as some kind of ‘threat’, when the Chinese leadership and the Chinese population in general were more supportive of him than they’ve been of any president since Clinton.

38 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The Western press has revealed it really has no clue when it comes to reporting on geopolitics involving non-Western countries.

It’s bad with Russia and worse with China.  On the latter subject even non-mainstream outlets who are typically skeptical of the ‘consensus narrative’ have no idea what’s really going on.  Hence why the whole press corps, from the NYT to ZeroHedge, still think the Chinese viewed Trump as some kind of ‘threat’, when the Chinese leadership and the Chinese population in general were more supportive of him than they’ve been of any president since Clinton.

You just have to look at how few foreign press offices there are compared to 50 years ago. Now you have people like Lopez writing stories about countries they've never visited, instead of veteran reporters who have lived and worked in those places for a decade.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

You just have to look at how few foreign press offices there are compared to 50 years ago. Now you have people like Lopez writing stories about countries they've never visited, instead of veteran reporters who have lived and worked in those places for a decade.

"if it's important we'll pick it up on the wire"

Guess who's getting sold out by the US?

4391.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Concern among officials about US reaching ‘accommodation’ with Putin over Ukraine

Joe Biden’s announcement that a group of Nato countries will hold talks with Moscow has caused concern on the alliance’s eastern flank, where members close to Russia have long insisted that any agreements about European security must not be negotiated over their heads.

Officials in Poland and other eastern Nato countries have privately bristled at Biden’s description of seeking an “accommodation” with Russia, worrying that any trade-off could increase the danger they face from an expansionist Russia.

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Guess who's getting sold out by the US?

4391.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Concern among officials about US reaching ‘accommodation’ with Putin over Ukraine

When you find out you are on the council but weren't granted the rank of master.

• Haha 3

The head of the Estonian parliament's foreign affairs committee is not amused:

"I hope I'm wrong but I smell 'Munich' here," Marko Mihkelson, head of the foreign affairs committee of Estonia's parliament, told the Financial Times in reference to the 1938 agreement in Europe to try to avoid conflict with Nazi Germany by ceding the Sudetenland. "Starting talks under the guns [of Ukraine] about the future of Nato, or even more so about involving Russia in the European security architecture with a veto right — this is completely the wrong way and will ignite appetite for further aggression," Mihkelson added.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In fact, NONE of the former Warsaw Pact states should be in NATO: not Poland, not Hungary, not Czechia, not Slovakia, not Romania, not Bulgaria.

Yes, I'm well aware that's my pro-Western European, anti-Slav/Magyar/Romanian bias talking, but I don't give a shit :p

One day when we're face to face you'll have to explain this one to me. It's always mystified me :p

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The US has information that indicates Russia has prepositioned a group of operatives to conduct a false-flag operation in eastern Ukraine, a US official told CNN on Friday, in an attempt to create a pretext for an invasion.

The official said the US has evidence that the operatives are trained in urban warfare and in using explosives to carry out acts of sabotage against Russia's own proxy forces.

"The Russian military plans to begin these activities several weeks before a military invasion, which could begin between mid-January and mid-February," the official said. "We saw this playbook in 2014 with Crimea."

The US has also seen Russian influence actors begin to prime Russian audiences for an intervention, the official said, including by emphasizing narratives about the deterioration of human rights in Ukraine and increased militancy of Ukrainian leaders.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to US Intel: Russia planning false flag operation as pretext for invasion of Ukraine

I believe that the US has been handed this intel from Ukraine. I don't believe that this makes it necessarily incorrect, but we should be doing our due diligence and it doesn't seem that we are. 

But that doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility that it is true. Provocations can come from army units too--like in Georgia. 

The group that is allegedly prepositioned is a special operations urban warfare group. They do more than just provocations. If they are there, that doesn't mean this supposed purpose is a slam dunk. 

Although, looking at the wider situation, the talks with the US have failed and I don't know that anyone knows what comes next. The avenues for a diplomatic solution are decreasing quickly. 

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The United States and Western Europe have zero strategic interests in Ukraine.

End of story.

It's the unfortunate reality for Ukrainians. It's about time the US (and west) move on from promoting "freedom" and self-determination as something they will actually support. The reality is that most of the world can't be "saved" by euro-centric ideals, even if we consider them to be good ideals. Unless the west is willing to start wars, it can't protect these types of places, and shouldn't give them hope.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's the unfortunate reality for Ukrainians. It's about time the US (and west) move on from promoting "freedom" and self-determination as something they will actually support. The reality is that most of the world can't be "saved" by euro-centric ideals, even if we consider them to be good ideals. Unless the west is willing to start wars, it can't protect these types of places, and shouldn't give them hope.

Absolutely 100%!

The US and Western Europe should be encouraging Ukraine, Georgia, et al. to seek accommodation with Moscow because that's the only way they're ever going to have any sense of stability and security.

17dc-russia-ukraine-top2-facebookJumbo.j
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The slow evacuation may be part propaganda, part preparation for a conflict or part feint, Ukrainian and U.S. officials say. It could be all three.

Apparently mostly children and spouses of Russian embassy officials going back to Russia.

The Ukrainian president was rather displeased with what Biden said at his press conference:

200215073006-ukrainian-president-volodym
WWW.CNN.COM

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky publicly pushed back Thursday on US President Joe Biden's comments that a "minor incursion" by Russia into Ukraine would prompt a lesser response than a full-scale invasion, in an implicit rebuke of Biden's comments.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky publicly pushed back Thursday on US President Joe Biden's comments that a "minor incursion" by Russia into Ukraine would prompt a lesser response than a full-scale invasion, in an implicit rebuke of Biden's comments.

"We want to remind the great powers that there are no minor incursions and small nations," Zelensky wrote on Twitter in an apparent response Biden's remarks on Wednesday. "Just as there are no minor casualties and little grief from the loss of loved ones."

3589.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Move comes amid ‘frank and substantive’ talks in Geneva and announcement by Russia of new military exercises

The US has offered to hold a summit between Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin as a last-ditch effort to stop the slide to a new war in Europe, as Russia continued to build up its forces along the Ukraine border and announced new naval exercises in the Black Sea.

The US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, said Washington and its allies were also ready to respond in writing next week to Russian demands on the future of Nato and European security, which Moscow has said must be addressed to avoid it taking “military measures”. But, speaking in Geneva where he held talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, Blinken repeated the US and Nato position there could still be no compromise on the central issue of the right of Ukraine and other countries to join Nato in the future.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official "Who Really Gives A Damn About Ukraine?" Thread*~

This is a really well done article (especially on mobile):

NEWS.SKY.COM

The largest temporary Russian base near the Ukrainian border has seen more activity, according to an analysis of the latest satellite imagery.

21 hours ago, CayceG said:

My buddy in Kyiv says he doesn't think the Russians are going to invade. It's being talked about, but he's sort of low on anything happening. 

He previously was displaced from his hometown of Donetsk in 2014 when the Russians took that city.

I'm guessing not a straight invasion but i wouldn't be surprised if there was sabotage on infrastructure and other fuckery.