Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

No idea how we have this intel, but...

Note, this isn't "Putin told his commanders to attack on the 16th." It's "be prepared in case you get the order."

In other words, it's a "Warning Order" which is preparatory order issued to indicate that an "Operations Order" may be forthcoming.

Time to take bets? 

1. Redeploy Russian ground forces away from the Ukrainian border but continue to aid pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine, conduct offensive cyber operations, and engage in other irregular activity in Ukraine and the region.
  2. Send Russian troops into the breakaway regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.
  3. Seize Ukraine as far west as the Dnepr River.
  4. Seize Ukraine up to the Dnepr River and an additional belt of land to connect Russia with Transdniestria along the Black Sea.
  5. Seize just a belt of land between Russia and Transdniestria along the Black Sea.
  6. Seize all of Ukraine.

I'm going with 3

None of the above. I think they launch an entire operation to go into Kyiv and oust Ze. This will involve armored and air assault attacks supported by missile and rocket artillery in the north along the paths from Belarus to Kyiv, in the east in the occupied territories, and towards Kharkiv. The goal will be to remove Ze from power and to eliminate Ukraine's ability to fight a defensive war. 

I'm definitely leaning towards these posts from ResetERA:

So I would think if Russia is not going to call up reserves then their goal is most definitely not the whole of Ukraine, at most East of Dnieper, most plausible would be limited incursions, securing Kharkiv, and a land bridge to Crimea.

That would align with the 1st guard tank division currently getting in place at belgograd. I reckon they’d want to cut off and encircle the ukranian forces in the east quite fast so they’d probably push through kharkiv towards crimea and vice versa.

Just now, Derek said:

So will the Ukraine present any opposition when Russia invades? Or is it more of a 'Whelp, we're Russia now' when the troops cross the border?

I expect that some units will resist fiercely, but the vast majority will probably simply consider discretion to be the better part of valor and simply melt away.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I expect that some units will resist fiercely, but the vast majority will probably simply consider discretion to be the better part of valor and simply melt away.

I think it also depends on what Russia does. If they make it clear that they are cutting off the eastern regions then units are far more likely to just surrender. If Russia is advancing on Kyiv or Lviv or something, then perhaps there would be greater resistance. Also depends on morale if there is a 2-3 day period of bombardment. 

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it also depends on what Russia does. If they make it clear that they are cutting off the eastern regions then units are far more likely to just surrender. If Russia is advancing on Kyiv or Lviv or something, then perhaps there would be greater resistance. Also depends on morale if there is a 2-3 day period of bombardment. 

Exactly.

As I do believe that any Russian incursion will be limited to the eastern regions, I fully expect that the Russians will seek to encircle rather than outright destroy the Ukrainian forces in those areas and will open corridors for them to withdraw (minus any heavy weapons) to the western part of the country beyond the Dneiper.

What's fascinating about all of this is that the same thing happened in 2008 with Georgia. But the open source satellite pics and tiktok videos didn't exist. Twitter barely existed. 

It's incredibly interesting to see a war get started over the course of weeks right before our eyes. 

34 minutes ago, CayceG said:

What's fascinating about all of this is that the same thing happened in 2008 with Georgia. But the open source satellite pics and tiktok videos didn't exist. Twitter barely existed. 

It's incredibly interesting to see a war get started over the course of weeks right before our eyes. 

Today we are all Ukrainians. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I get it

I didn't at first, but lemme see if I connected the dots right in my head....

The Japanese one is referring to a fault that caused or made Fukashima worse.

Which caused Germany to over extend on clean energy due to an overreaction on nuclear power.

And due to pandemic influenced supply shortages it caused Germany to fall back on dirty power sources like gas and oil.

Which is supplied largely by Russia, making Germany much more pliable at the negotiating table.

Did I get that right?

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Which caused Germany to over extend on clean energy due to an overreaction on nuclear power.

And due to pandemic influenced supply shortages it caused Germany to fall back on dirty power sources like gas and oil.

Which is supplied largely by Russia, making Germany much more pliable at the negotiating table.

Did I get that right?

Yes. 

Though it is a meme and it takes Russia's agency completely out of the equation. 

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Did I get that right?

Yes.  It's very meme-y, but has some truth to it.  However, even if Germany completely went away from fossil fuel usage for power generation, they still heat their homes with natural gas.  Converting an entire nation from natural gas heating to electric heating would take a huge amount of time, money and effort that they just weren't prepared to do.