Assassin's Creed is bloated, unfocused, and needs to shed some systems (PC Gamer)

The further along I get with Valhalla the more I'm liking it which is surprising me. I'd thought I'd get bored of it's mission structure etc....but nope. Plus, as I said before, some the scenery in this game is down right gorgeous. I love Eivor as the protagonist and the combat is always fun. I love using my bow an arrow. 

Anyone who hasn't played this do yourself a favor and play it! Best Assassin's Creed game yet.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

The further along I get with Valhalla the more I'm liking it which is surprising me. I'd thought I'd get bored of it's mission structure etc....but nope. Plus, as I said before, some the scenery in this game is down right gorgeous. I love Eivor as the protagonist and the combat is always fun. I love using my bow an arrow. 

Anyone who hasn't played this do yourself a favor and play it! Best Assassin's Creed game yet.

What makes it better than Odyssey? As you know I’m playing Odyssey now, and really enjoying it. I have Valhalla, but I’m not going to play it directly after finishing Odyssey because I will want to take a break from Assassin’s Creed after it.

12 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think ACIII’s homestead is much better realized than Valhalla’s settlement. Getting ACIII’s homestead filled out is problematic, but I think the characters and the space are much more interesting. 

I wouldn't know. I played through the entire game and never touched the homestead. I also never upgraded any of my weapons. I cared so little for anything in that game yet was able to beat it pretty easily. Nothing you did in that game mattered.

13 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

What makes it better than Odyssey? As you know I’m playing Odyssey now, and really enjoying it. I have Valhalla, but I’m not going to play it directly after finishing Odyssey because I will want to take a break from Assassin’s Creed after it.

Well for one, it's not nearly as congested in terms of side quests. The map is smaller but still has plenty of optional activities to take part in but not overally saturated like Odyssey. The story is more focused and the characters and Eivor are more interesting than I found in Odyssey.

However, I haven't played Odyssey in 3 years and I also played as Alexios and not as Kassandra who I hear was a fantastic character. So I forget some things. There is also no grinding required to progress the story. In Odyssey, I was forced to do lots of side quests to get to a a certain level to continue on with the main storyline. 

The quests in Valhalla are very organized and not nearly as bloated like Odyssey. I recall just an over abundance of quests in Odyssey that it became extremely overwhelming. In Valhalla, they did an excellent job in condensing quests and made it more reasonable to tackle the main storyline. 

In general, Valhalla is much more organized, not an overwhelming amount of quests, and a reasonable size map that for the most part that doesn't require you to use a boat to reach. It's just a better made game imo. I also vastly prefer the environment (England) compared to Odyssey. It's so beautiful and relaxing to explore the world. As far as combat, I think Valhalla is improved over Odyssey but it still has a few issues.

Like I said though, it's been 3 years since I played Odyssey so I'm forgetting things I disliked I'm sure.

Also, yes, after beating Odyssey take a BIG break form the franchise and play smaller scaled games. 

Oh, and the enemy and friendly AI are pretty bad in Valhalla. I can't remember how that was in Odyssey. I have gotten used to it and usually have a good laugh on occasions.

Odyssey is still a very cool game and I put serious amount of time with it. 

This is just my opinion so what the hell do I know, right? :p

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, best3444 said:

I also played as Alexios and not as Kassandra

:badass:

23 hours ago, best3444 said:

after beating Odyssey take a BIG break form the franchise and play smaller scaled games. 

I finished Odyssey, and despite saying that I wasn’t going to play Valhalla right after it... I am. :p

7 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

:badass:

I finished Odyssey, and despite saying that I wasn’t going to play Valhalla right after it... I am. :p

Yea, I screwed up playing as Alexios in Odyssey. I read multiple times Kassandra was the best protagonist in an Assassin's Creed game. 

Hey, more power to you to keep playing more Assassin’s Creed. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Be sure to give it time before posting impressions. 

I would agree that Valhalla is the best in the series.  The main issues I had with the game were technical ones - my saves did not function well at all.  There were multiple times that I lost hours of playtime.  The good thing about that in this game is that once you have seen something and experienced it once you can blaze through it the second time.  I could literally catch up on 4 hours lost in about 30 minutes by just running from point to point directly and skipping all conversations.  However the save issues did kind of sour me on the game by the end.  I don't think I will be picking up the expansions.  I played on the Series X.

56 minutes ago, number305 said:

I would agree that Valhalla is the best in the series.  The main issues I had with the game were technical ones - my saves did not function well at all.  There were multiple times that I lost hours of playtime.  The good thing about that in this game is that once you have seen something and experienced it once you can blaze through it the second time.  I could literally catch up on 4 hours lost in about 30 minutes by just running from point to point directly and skipping all conversations.  However the save issues did kind of sour me on the game by the end.  I don't think I will be picking up the expansions.  I played on the Series X.

I'm playing on the One X as well and I'm approximately 50 hours in. I haven't had any save issues at all. That's interesting and sorry to hear.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, best3444 said:

Yea, I screwed up playing as Alexios in Odyssey. I read multiple times Kassandra was the best protagonist in an Assassin's Creed game.

If I had to play as Alexios, I wouldn’t have played the game.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm playing on the One X as well and I'm approximately 50 hours in. I haven't had any save issues at all. That's interesting and sorry to hear.

He played it on the Series X, not the One X. I’m playing it on the PS4 Slim, and I haven’t had any save issues yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

If I had to play as Alexios, I wouldn’t have played the game.

He played it on the Series X, not the One X. I’m playing it on the PS4 Slim, and I haven’t had any save issues yet.

Shit, I mistead that he played on the Series X. Yea, you'll be fine with your saves. Keep playing and it gets better as you move forward. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.