Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Again, it just has to do with rules changes. Zone defense was illegal during most of the time jordan was playing, so players had to play a lot more iso/on-ball play. They also didn't call technicals or flagrants as much. So in a way, defense was more physical, but tactically it was nowhere near what it is today. Iso plays are mostly gone, making any play on offense requires tons of off-ball movement and feints, it's tactically on a completely different level. There are a lot more moving parts. Jordan played a lot of 1-on-1 with other players standing around, which is why he didn't win until Jackson had them start the triangle, incorporating more off-ball movement. The triangle is outdated as fuck now, except when (guess who) LeBron and Pat Riley ran a version of it in Miami. And that was almost a decade ago.

 

You're really impressing me your knowledge of the NBA. Fantastic post and I agree with everything you said. Minus Reddick averaging 40 a game in the 80's.

I understand your point, though.

 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do love how so many of the pro basketball “era” discussions essentially start in the mid - late 80’s since that’s what most of the people talking hoops today, myself included, remember. Wilt, Russell, Kareem are just chilling over here as if the GOAT discussion is somehow a 2 way contest between Jordan and LeBron.

 

Good point. I'd put Wilt in my top 5. I've seen tons of footage from his HS, college, and NBA career and he would absolutely dominate even in today's game. He was an INCREDIBLE athlete for his size. Kareem is in my top 10 and his sky hook is still the greatest shot in NBA history. As for Russell, he was an excellent rebounder and defender and kept even Wilt in check. I'm not sure how he would fair in today's game, though. He paved the way for big men and is a legend for sure.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

 

You're really impressing me your knowledge of the NBA. Fantastic post and I agree with everything you said. Minus Reddick averaging 40 a game in the 80's.

I understand your point, though.

 

Just watch those videos of JR Smith playing in China, it's not too far fetched to say Reddick would be doing the same thing to '80s American players.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Again, it just has to do with rules changes. Zone defense was illegal during most of the time jordan was playing, so players had to play a lot more iso/on-ball play. They also didn't call technicals or flagrants as much. So in a way, defense was more physical, but tactically it was nowhere near what it is today. Iso plays are mostly gone, making any play on offense requires tons of off-ball movement and feints, it's tactically on a completely different level. There are a lot more moving parts. Jordan played a lot of 1-on-1 with other players standing around, which is why he didn't win until Jackson had them start the triangle, incorporating more off-ball movement. The triangle is outdated as fuck now, except when (guess who) LeBron and Pat Riley ran a version of it in Miami. And that was almost a decade ago.

 

I stand by what I said that if you put JJ reddick in a time machine to the 80's he'd score 40 a game. Not because he's better than Larry Bird, but he knows the importance of feints and off ball movement better than anyone else did at the time. That's how he made his career.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Nothing will ever beat the Heat/Knicks grudge matches of the 1990s.

Did you mean the Pacers/Knicks grudge matches? I still remember that game when Reggie Miller scored 8 straight points with like 5 seconds left and beat the Knicks. The NY press CRUCIFIED Spike Lee because they said he egged Miller on :lol:

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you mean the Pacers/Knicks grudge matches? I still remember that game when Reggie Miller scored 8 straight points with like 5 seconds left and beat the Knicks. The NY press CRUCIFIED Spike Lee because they said he egged Miller on :lol:

 

I swear that dude was a Ferengi!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you mean the Pacers/Knicks grudge matches? I still remember that game when Reggie Miller scored 8 straight points with like 5 seconds left and beat the Knicks. The NY press CRUCIFIED Spike Lee because they said he egged Miller on :lol:

 

Oh no - I definitely meant the Heat and the Knicks!

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Knicks had rivalries with everyone. That's what happens when you have Charles Oakley, Latrell Sprewell, John Starks, and Larry Johnson on your team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

Oh no - I definitely meant the Heat and the Knicks!

 

 

 

Yeah the Pacers rivalry was before that... much more classic rivalry to me than the heat one. I used to always root AGAINST the Knicks because everyone in the area was a Knick's fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Nothing will ever beat the Heat/Knicks grudge matches of the 1990s.

 

What about the Bulls and Pistons grudge matches in the late 80s/early 90s? That shit was down right dirrty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do love how so many of the pro basketball “era” discussions essentially start in the mid - late 80’s since that’s what most of the people talking hoops today, myself included, remember. Wilt, Russell, Kareem are just chilling over here as if the GOAT discussion is somehow a 2 way contest between Jordan and LeBron.


Because it is a two way discussion. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

 

What about the Bulls and Pistons grudge matches in the late 80s/early 90s? That shit was down right dirrty.

They had Pippen shitting in his pants... The Pistons were basically a Hockey team that could play basketball :lol: Those dudes were BRUTES and they had a very deep bench.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They had Pippen shitting in his pants... The Pistons were basically a Hockey team that could play basketball :lol: Those dudes were BRUTES and they had a very deep bench.

 

I literally laughed out loud about your pippen comment. He was such a pussy in that time period. He definitely got tougher mentally and physically after the piston days. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brick said:

I know nothing of basketball. What happened to the discussion of Space Jam? 

 

Someone brought up the J word and I don't mean "Jam"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...