Space Jam : Return of the Hairline

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Again, it just has to do with rules changes. Zone defense was illegal during most of the time jordan was playing, so players had to play a lot more iso/on-ball play. They also didn't call technicals or flagrants as much. So in a way, defense was more physical, but tactically it was nowhere near what it is today. Iso plays are mostly gone, making any play on offense requires tons of off-ball movement and feints, it's tactically on a completely different level. There are a lot more moving parts. Jordan played a lot of 1-on-1 with other players standing around, which is why he didn't win until Jackson had them start the triangle, incorporating more off-ball movement. The triangle is outdated as fuck now, except when (guess who) LeBron and Pat Riley ran a version of it in Miami. And that was almost a decade ago.

You're really impressing me your knowledge of the NBA. Fantastic post and I agree with everything you said. Minus Reddick averaging 40 a game in the 80's.

I understand your point, though.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do love how so many of the pro basketball “era” discussions essentially start in the mid - late 80’s since that’s what most of the people talking hoops today, myself included, remember. Wilt, Russell, Kareem are just chilling over here as if the GOAT discussion is somehow a 2 way contest between Jordan and LeBron.

Good point. I'd put Wilt in my top 5. I've seen tons of footage from his HS, college, and NBA career and he would absolutely dominate even in today's game. He was an INCREDIBLE athlete for his size. Kareem is in my top 10 and his sky hook is still the greatest shot in NBA history. As for Russell, he was an excellent rebounder and defender and kept even Wilt in check. I'm not sure how he would fair in today's game, though. He paved the way for big men and is a legend for sure.

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You're really impressing me your knowledge of the NBA. Fantastic post and I agree with everything you said. Minus Reddick averaging 40 a game in the 80's.

I understand your point, though.

Just watch those videos of JR Smith playing in China, it's not too far fetched to say Reddick would be doing the same thing to '80s American players.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Again, it just has to do with rules changes. Zone defense was illegal during most of the time jordan was playing, so players had to play a lot more iso/on-ball play. They also didn't call technicals or flagrants as much. So in a way, defense was more physical, but tactically it was nowhere near what it is today. Iso plays are mostly gone, making any play on offense requires tons of off-ball movement and feints, it's tactically on a completely different level. There are a lot more moving parts. Jordan played a lot of 1-on-1 with other players standing around, which is why he didn't win until Jackson had them start the triangle, incorporating more off-ball movement. The triangle is outdated as fuck now, except when (guess who) LeBron and Pat Riley ran a version of it in Miami. And that was almost a decade ago.

I stand by what I said that if you put JJ reddick in a time machine to the 80's he'd score 40 a game. Not because he's better than Larry Bird, but he knows the importance of feints and off ball movement better than anyone else did at the time. That's how he made his career.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Nothing will ever beat the Heat/Knicks grudge matches of the 1990s.

Did you mean the Pacers/Knicks grudge matches? I still remember that game when Reggie Miller scored 8 straight points with like 5 seconds left and beat the Knicks. The NY press CRUCIFIED Spike Lee because they said he egged Miller on :lol:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you mean the Pacers/Knicks grudge matches? I still remember that game when Reggie Miller scored 8 straight points with like 5 seconds left and beat the Knicks. The NY press CRUCIFIED Spike Lee because they said he egged Miller on :lol:

I swear that dude was a Ferengi!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh no - I definitely meant the Heat and the Knicks!

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do love how so many of the pro basketball “era” discussions essentially start in the mid - late 80’s since that’s what most of the people talking hoops today, myself included, remember. Wilt, Russell, Kareem are just chilling over here as if the GOAT discussion is somehow a 2 way contest between Jordan and LeBron.

Because it is a two way discussion. 

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What about the Bulls and Pistons grudge matches in the late 80s/early 90s? That shit was down right dirrty.

They had Pippen shitting in his pants... The Pistons were basically a Hockey team that could play basketball :lol: Those dudes were BRUTES and they had a very deep bench.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They had Pippen shitting in his pants... The Pistons were basically a Hockey team that could play basketball :lol: Those dudes were BRUTES and they had a very deep bench.

I literally laughed out loud about your pippen comment. He was such a pussy in that time period. He definitely got tougher mentally and physically after the piston days. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I could feel the very essence of my being slowly being drained into the ether with each passing second of that trailer.

No, no, no, you meant to say that you feel absolutely compelled to buy Nike shoes, Coca-Cola products, and Beats by Dre!

33 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

A bunch of old men yelling at clouds over something not intended for them at all.  If The original space jam came out when I was in my mid-thirties I’d probably hate it too.

Excuse me. I'm a straight white American man, age 18-35, with disposable income. I'm pretty sure all media is supposed to be aimed at me and only me and I take any suggestion otherwise to be an attack on me personally.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, ort said:

I wonder if kids today even know who these looney tunes characters are.

So I asked my kids... my 11 year old knew Bugs Bunny by name, but none of the others... my 8 year old had no idea who any of them were.

5 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

A bunch of old men yelling at clouds over something not intended for them at all.  If The original space jam came out when I was in my mid-thirties I’d probably hate it too.

It is pretty easy to tell what is garbage and what is quality even if it isn't for you.  This is easy to spot for what it is.  There is much love on this board for a variety of entertainment that is directed at children.  

11 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Eh, a movie can’t hide behind the “but it’s for children!” defense while also featuring appearances of characters from Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, and The Devil. You gotta pick one.

Also, the Looney Tunes aren’t solely for kids - their humor is universal. If anything I appreciate the old shorts more as an adult. Unfortunately this doesn’t even look like it’s made by people who understand what made the Tunes work so well in the first place, which is pretty much how the first Space Jam was too tbh.