Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Komusha said:

 

A gang of rapists in a kid's movie is a fun little reference.

 

I haven't seen the movie. :shrug:

 

"The little kids probably haven't seen the movie" is still presumably the point. That or the actual intended market for this is people old enough to have nostalgia for the 1996 movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Komusha said:

This is basically HBO Max: The Movie.

 

Why are the Droogs from A Clockwork Orange in this? Or Barry Lyndon? Or the war boys from Fury Road? This is a kids movie, right?

 

Oh wow that's hilarious. WTF indeed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s just a brilliant chess move that no one could have ever predicted. 
 

Whiny incels and chuds - “Space Jam 2 is nothing but woke cancel culture bullshit because they got rid of Lola Bunny’s fat titties!

 

WB - “So Alex and his droogs are courtside at the big game along with pennywise the child eating clown.”  

 

Whiny incels and chuds - “Uh...”

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jason said:

 

I haven't seen the movie. :shrug:

 

"The little kids probably haven't seen the movie" is still presumably the point. That or the actual intended market for this is people old enough to have nostalgia for the 1996 movie.

 

So this is an interesting debate: Is it okay to place imagery connected with violence and rape against women in a kid's movie as long as they don't understand the meaning behind it? And if that's okay, where do we draw the line? Kids don't know who Charles Manson is. Why not put him in the movie? It would be a fun little reference for the parents.

 

Also, I think it's important to make the distinction that these are barely even references, these are more like cameo appearances. This isn't a parody or an allusion to those characters, these are, as far as I can tell, the actual characters themselves showing up to cheer on Lebron and the Tunes. Looney Tunes does have a history of containing references that only adults could pick up on, but the difference is that those references were transformative, either a joke acknowledging the existence of that thing or a cartoony version of that thing. The first Space Jam had a Pulp Fiction joke. What it didn't feature, however, was a live action version of the gimp from that movie showing up to interact with Jordan and Bugs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jason said:

I haven't seen the movie. :shrug:

You Disappoint Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

The little kids probably haven't seen the movie" is still presumably the point.

Yup and its fine, its poor taste but nothing harmful. I mean Spongebob got caught watching "porn" in one episode and he had French bad guy named "The Tickler"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the original for the first time since my childhood, and it is not one of those kids movies that plays to adults. There's a Pulp Fiction reference and maybe one or two jokes that are obviously aimed at adults, but it is very much a kids movie and not something I was thrilled by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, Komusha said:

 

So this is an interesting debate: Is it okay to place imagery connected with violence and rape against women in a kid's movie as long as they don't understand the meaning behind it? And if that's okay, where do we draw the line? Kids don't know who Charles Manson is. Why not put him in the movie? It would be a fun little reference for the parents.

 

Also, I think it's important to make the distinction that these are barely even references, these are more like cameo appearances. This isn't a parody or an allusion to those characters, these are, as far as I can tell, the actual characters themselves showing up to cheer on Lebron and the Tunes. Looney Tunes does have a history of containing references that only adults could pick up on, but the difference is that those references were transformative, either a joke acknowledging the existence of that thing or a cartoony version of that thing. The first Space Jam had a Pulp Fiction joke. What it didn't feature, however, was a live action version of the gimp from that movie showing up to interact with Jordan and Bugs.

 

You could definitely argue it's in poor taste, but as far as "is it ok?" Well, who is actually harmed by this? The kids aren't actually being shown anything harmful. So it's only adults who are affected, who know the implication, and who are being offended by this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Reputator said:

You could definitely argue it's in poor taste, but as far as "is it ok?" Well, who is actually harmed by this? The kids aren't actually being shown anything harmful. So it's only adults who are affected, who know the implication, and who are being offended by this.

 

I'm with you here. The Droogs are less problematic to me than Pennywise. No kid is going to know who they are or what they're called unless they've seen the movie and that there is some questionable parenting. Pennywise is a lot more of a problem for me, but about equal to how inappropriate it was to market Alien, Robocop, Terminator, and the Toxic Avenger to kids. Man, the 80s were fucked up. I was a fan of all of those as a kid. Then again, I had a copy of Killer Clowns from Outer Space on VHS that I hid at my cousin's.

 

That said, I don't want to be the exec that greenlit that in 2021. That screams rich dude that's never seen the movie.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 4:17 PM, best3444 said:

It really makes me dislike LeBron even more for trying to be like Mike once again. His entire career has been him trying to one up Jordan and it will never happen. He's a wannabe and Michael Jordan is a legend that can't be touched. This will be an awful film.

The thing about Lebron is that unlike Jordan he actually gives a shit about social causes. From all accounts I've heard, Jordan is a TERRIBLE human being.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine hating on LeBron for wanting to be like Mike when there’s literally an entire industry dedicated to letting people buy a slice of that pie.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine hating on LeBron for wanting to be like Mike when there’s literally an entire industry dedicated to letting people buy a slice of that pie.

It's not like it was his brand slogan or anythin... wait wut? Also anyone who actually is a student of the game knows that Lebron's Idol is Magic Johnson and he patterns his game after HIM... for better or worse. Kobe Bryant was more of a Mini Mike gamewise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 9:10 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Now I'm trying to imagine what Lebron, with his build, could do as a goon in the 80s and 90s. Lawd, he'll steamroll everyone and he'd be known as the best defensive player ever before even getting into his offensive game.

Lebron basically has the physical build of a Charles Oakley with the skills of a Magic Johnson and athleticism of a Michael Jordan. Dude is a phenom for sure. Jordan didn't start winning championships until The Lakers, Pistons and Celtics were all old and in decline.  The 80's era when Jordan first got into the league was far tougher than when Jordan started wnning championships. Also for all the defense that was played back then, you had "the Jordan rules" where basically if you looked at him wrong you were getting called for a foul :p

 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:14 PM, johnny said:

zone defense was illegal for almost all of michael jordan’s career, resulting in it being easier to get to the hoop. lebron would excel even more lol. and take one look at lebron and tell me that guy wouldn’t be able to handle more physical defense lol. give me a break. defense back then favored stars even more. 

 

 the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The thing about Lebron is that unlike Jordan he actually gives a shit about social causes. From all accounts I've heard, Jordan is a TERRIBLE human being.

 

Yea. I said all of that earlier in the thread. Michael Jordan is a selfish man. LeBron is a good person and an athletic freak of nature. Like I also said earlier in the thread, Michael and LeBron are the 2 best to ever play. Arguing over who is better is just a waste of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lebron basically has the physical build of a Charles Oakley with the skills of a Magic Johnson and athleticism of a Michael Jordan. Dude is a phenom for sure. Jordan didn't start winning championships until The Lakers, Pistons and Celtics were all old and in decline.  The 80's era when Jordan first got into the league was far tougher than when Jordan started wnning championships. Also for all the defense that was played back then, you had "the Jordan rules" where basically if you looked at him wrong you were getting called for a foul :p

 

Pretty much, yeah. I grew up a Celtics fan. I remember the league in the 80s. Sure, Lebron isn't Lebron without modern medicine and training, but that's besides the point. Lebron with more permission to body people isn't something I'd bet against in any era.

 

That said, Lebron doesn't even play like Jordan, so the comparisons are silly. If you want to see a player that played like Jordan, anyone can go pull up an old Kobe highlight reel.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

Pretty much, yeah. I grew up a Celtics fan. I remember the league in the 80s. Sure, Lebron isn't Lebron without modern medicine and training, but that's besides the point. Lebron with more permission to body people isn't something I'd bet against in any era.

 

That's said, Lebron doesn't even play like Jordan, so the comparisons are silly. If you want to see a player that played like Jordan, anyone can go pull up an old Kobe highlight reel.

Exactly... Lebron plays more like Magic than anything else.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 4:17 PM, best3444 said:

It really makes me dislike LeBron even more for trying to be like Mike once again. His entire career has been him trying to one up Jordan and it will never happen. He's a wannabe and Michael Jordan is a legend that can't be touched. This will be an awful film.

Jordan > LeBum

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The thing about Lebron is that unlike Jordan he actually gives a shit about social causes. From all accounts I've heard, Jordan is a TERRIBLE human being.

 

Surely you don't mean Michael "Republicans Buy Sneakers Too" Jordan?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

Surely you don't mean Michael "Republicans Buy Sneakers Too" Jordan?!?

That's not even the worst of it... I've heard stories from people who have had interactions with him. He seems like a REAL Asshole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's not even the worst of it... I've heard stories from people who have had interactions with him. He seems like a REAL Asshole.

 

I'd say his incredibly petty and bitter Hall of Fame induction speech all but confirms that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's not even the worst of it... I've heard stories from people who have had interactions with him. He seems like a REAL Asshole.

 

Yep, I heard that as well. I've been a student of the game since I was 10yrs old and played basketball all the way up to age 30. I played Division 2 basketball in college and was quite good. I used to study every NBA film ever released. I know ALOT about the NBA's history.

 

I'm not comparing LeBron to Michael Jordan in their play style. LeBron has and still is trying to one up Jordan’s legacy and he is getting damn close. LeBron plays nothing like Jordan. I fully understand that.

 

You are all correct that Kobe was the real Jordan wannabe in not only his game but how he conducted himself in general. Like he literally was emulating Michael Jordans way of speech, body language, and his game was modeled after the Jordan 1996-1998. 

 

Overall, it's great to be able to have watched 2 of the greatest players to ever do it. LeBron is extremely special that's for sure.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Wait, was an argument just made that Jordan faced easier defenses than LeBron??? Because LOL if so. 

Again, it just has to do with rules changes. Zone defense was illegal during most of the time jordan was playing, so players had to play a lot more iso/on-ball play. They also didn't call technicals or flagrants as much. So in a way, defense was more physical, but tactically it was nowhere near what it is today. Iso plays are mostly gone, making any play on offense requires tons of off-ball movement and feints, it's tactically on a completely different level. There are a lot more moving parts. Jordan played a lot of 1-on-1 with other players standing around, which is why he didn't win until Jackson had them start the triangle, incorporating more off-ball movement. The triangle is outdated as fuck now, except when (guess who) LeBron and Pat Riley ran a version of it in Miami. And that was almost a decade ago.

 

I stand by what I said that if you put JJ reddick in a time machine to the 80's he'd score 40 a game. Not because he's better than Larry Bird, but he knows the importance of feints and off ball movement better than anyone else did at the time. That's how he made his career.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do love how so many of the pro basketball “era” discussions essentially start in the mid - late 80’s since that’s what most of the people talking hoops today, myself included, remember. Wilt, Russell, Kareem are just chilling over here as if the GOAT discussion is somehow a 2 way contest between Jordan and LeBron.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...