Matt Gaetz pays to have sex with kids and Roger Stone tried to sell his pedo buddy a pardon.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Gaetz will never resign. Republican voters don't care about accountability and the kept conservative media won't bother reporting it anyways. And even if they did, Republicans are awful people who expect and demand that their representatives are just as bad as they are.

The only way he will leave office is in cuffs.

I think there is a very real possibility that none of these girls were under 18 and it turns out no actual crimes had been committed and he will just continue on because neither his party nor the constituents who vote for him actually care about any of this at all.

I know there isn't much value in a "if Matt Gaetz was a Democrat.." post, but dammit, it makes me feel better.

If Matt Gaetz was a Democrat he would have been forced to resign weeks ago and completely ostracized by Democratic Party leadership. The fact Gaetz hasn't resigned, hasn't been pressured to resign, is fundraising and writing op-eds, is infuriating.

Dems are afraid of backlash that never actually comes. Maybe they have learned from the Blackface Trio that you don’t apologize because nobody actually cares about any of this stuff.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Dems are afraid of backlash that never actually comes. Maybe they have learned from the Blackface Trio that you don’t apologize because nobody actually cares about any of this stuff.

Weeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll

Justin fairfax wasn't caught doing blackface because 1) he's Black and 2) he was alleged to have done a sexual assault and most importantly 3) if Northam and Fairfax and Herring would have resigned at that time we would have a Republican governor. And saying nobody actually cares about this stuff really overlooks the work that Herring and Northam did to regain the trust of the Black communities of Virginia. And given that Herring is going to cruise to the nomination and much more likely than not to reelection is an indication of this.

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Weeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll

Justin fairfax wasn't caught doing blackface because 1) he's Black and 2) he was alleged to have done a sexual assault and most importantly 3) if Northam and Fairfax and Herring would have resigned at that time we would have a Republican governor. And saying nobody actually cares about this stuff really overlooks the work that Herring and Northam did to regain the trust of the Black communities of Virginia. And given that Herring is going to cruise to the nomination and much more likely than not to reelection is an indication of this.

I don’t doubt your post, but can you think of many cases where personal bad behavior resulted in elected officials losing elections? Most of the time it is a choice to resign that leads them out of office, not the will of the people.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t doubt your post, but can you think of many cases where personal bad behavior resulted in elected officials losing elections? Most of the time it is a choice to resign that leads them out of office, not the will of the people.

There's a decent argument that Cal Cunningham's campaign underperformed Biden enough to lose because of his affair. Not 100% sold on it but there's an argument to be made here.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's a decent argument that Cal Cunningham's campaign underperformed Biden enough to lose because of his affair. Not 100% sold on it but there's an argument to be made here.

I can imagine scenarios in which a race that is destined to be close could tip one way or the other on such issues. It does seem as though female voters over time are being more likely to hold bad men accountable at the ballot box.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can imagine scenarios in which a race that is destined to be close could tip one way or the other on such issues. It does seem as though female voters over time are being more likely to hold bad men accountable at the ballot box.

It's interesting to look at NC last year as they had Senate, Governor, and Presidential elections on the same ballot. Dem governor won reelection with a clear majority of votes and got more raw votes than Trump even. Gov Cooper got about 250k more votes than Biden, who got about 100k more votes than Cunningham the Dem senate candidate. 

On 4/9/2021 at 1:14 PM, sblfilms said:

On 4/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's probably research into this and how it changes with polarization (maybe people care more when we're less polarized).

But Roy Moore is a HUGE example of this. It was competitive to begin with, but there were plenty of Republicans willing to let him lose and get someone else in 2020 (as shitty as what they picked), or were completely frightened by his pedophilia issues, not to mention turnout from Democrats.

When I was first getting into politics, we had Mark Foley, who made headlines here in Florida in 2000, who either resigned in disgrace or decided not to run, and the Democrat won. The Democrat, Mahoney, was embroiled in his own scandal in 2008 for domestic abuse and lost in a year when Democrats swept nationwide.

I would think there are probably many factors: how far away from an election it happened, is it still in people's minds by Election Day (different "scandal," but Hillary's emails is a good example), what kind of scandal it is, etc. etc.

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

But Roy Moore is a HUGE example of this. It was competitive to begin with, but there were plenty of Republicans willing to let him lose and get someone else in 2020 (as shitty as what they picked), or were completely frightened by his pedophilia issues, not to mention turnout from Democrats.

They were willing to let him lose but only by a 50 to 48% margin!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They were willing to let him lose but only by a 50 to 48% margin!

This doesn't make any sense. :p Republicans in the state didn't coordinate who would vote for Moore and who would vote for Jones.

Indications were that it would be a close race a few weeks prior to the election, and that was before the accusations and being banned from the mall came out. Moore is a good example of candidate quality mattering, a mix of increased turnout, especially among African-American women, and Republican defectors.

28 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

giphy.gif

Two people familiar with the matter said Gaetz tried to schedule a visit with Trump after it was first revealed that he was being investigated, but the request was rejected by aides close to the former President, who have urged Trump not to stick his neck out to defend Gaetz.

I bet you he calls Gaetz directly and/or demands the meeting happens once he finds out about this.

On 4/1/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jason said:

Remember how he was the only Congressperson to stick up for Katie Hill? 

1617929051463_n_hayes_katiehill_210408_1
WWW.MSNBC.COM

“I feel betrayed by him. And I have to wonder about his motivations for defending me in the first place,” says former Rep. Katie Hill on Rep. Matt Gaetz.