TOP 5 METROIDVANIA GAMES

stepee

I don't know if it would make my five, but since my favorites have been mentioned plenty already, I would like to shout out Dust: An Elysian Tail. Really fun game made almost entirely by one dude. I haven't played it since it came out (almost 9 years ago, yikes!) but I have fond memories of it. 

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

That's probably the game mentioned I'd be least likely to consider for a list.  It's, alright?  I don't have any fond memories of it, moreso just grinding for monsters abilities.  Might be the reason I haven't gotten arround to SoTN yet.

Metroid Fusion is another I'm pretty meh about.  Controls are ace, boss fights are great, and SA-X is awesome.  But otherwise, its even more straight-jacked than Other M was.  Much, much, much too linear.

Probably why I love Hollow Knight more than some of you all.  Backtracking across the map comes with the territory with Metroidvanias, IMO.  Otherwise, you might as well make it a game with world map and isolated dungeons, like Zelda II.

The map is quite large though.  So I get the complaints about distant warp points and such.  I could see someone loving Ori but disliking Hollow Knight for that reason.

Yeah Aria and Dawn are both good but grinding for souls sucks. SOTN doesn't have that problem or any other kind of filler and that's one of the main reasons I think it's better than the other Metroidvania Castlevanias so don't let your memories of Dawn of Souls keep you from it.

What bothered me about Fusion is that in some ways it's not a Metroidvania. As you mentioned, backtracking comes with the territory, so there shouldn't be missables in a Metroidvania since even if you get temporarily locked out of an area you can come back for what you missed eventually. In Fusion you can permanently miss upgrades. I can't remember if the game had an actual time limit or just a story one (i.e. that game says you have a hour but the time in the story doesn't advance until the next story event even if you take 3 hours to get there) but either way I didn't like feeling rushed. 

I remember when Other M came out, and everyone was rightly shitting the trashy characterization and plot.  Controls were also love or hate.  But gradually that disappointment started to creep into negative opinions about the world structure, and I got more and more bewildered by some of it.

Like, did no one realize it was basically doing Fusion one better?  It's still rail guided at times, but peeled back the layers and artificial locks the further in you got.  Unlike Fusion, there's also plenty worth backtracking for.  You didn't feel as if you had completed areas the moment you got back in the elevator. 

Everyone was spoiled by the Prime series by that point.  I kind of wish Sakamoto and Team Ninja got a second chance, with the lessons learned.  But not as badly as I want Prime 4 done right.

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Probably why I love Hollow Knight more than some of you all.  Backtracking across the map comes with the territory with Metroidvanias, IMO.  Otherwise, you might as well make it a game with world map and isolated dungeons, like Zelda II.

The map is quite large though.  So I get the complaints about distant warp points and such.  I could see someone loving Ori but disliking Hollow Knight for that reason.

I know it comes with the territory, but there is a point where every prominent feature of the genre can go too far. Hollow Knight rides that line for better or worse when it comes to exploration. The warp points definitely do not help the situation much. I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I really did enjoy the game, but I felt like me having to either backtrack a huge map with little to guidance on the next step or pull out google is just a bad design choice. It held the game back for me from being a 9-10/10 and I hated the game the first 2 times I tried to play it.

3 hours ago, Nokt said:

I know it comes with the territory, but there is a point where every prominent feature of the genre can go too far. Hollow Knight rides that line for better or worse when it comes to exploration. The warp points definitely do not help the situation much. I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I really did enjoy the game, but I felt like me having to either backtrack a huge map with little to guidance on the next step or pull out google is just a bad design choice. It held the game back for me from being a 9-10/10 and I hated the game the first 2 times I tried to play it.

All is fair.  I don’t actually think the warp points are bad, it’s more that it can get overwhelming given the size of the map in general.  Hopefully Silksong can address this.

I beat it without a guide, though I understand why some would resort to it.  I don’t think it’s that much more cryptic in its progression than Super Metroid was though.  I’d go so far to say the Prime games are probably worse about it at points.  (Anything to do with ‘keys’)

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

All is fair.  I don’t actually think the warp points are bad, it’s more that it can get overwhelming given the size of the map in general.  Hopefully Silksong can address this.

I beat it without a guide, though I understand why some would resort to it.  I don’t think it’s that much more cryptic in its progression than Super Metroid was though.  I’d go so far to say the Prime games are probably worse about it at points.  (Anything to do with ‘keys’)

I think a lot of my problem with Hollow Knight is that it all kind of looks the same, and the level design is more convoluted than necessary. When I think about Super Metroid, I can visualize every room in my head because it's so unique. Hollow Knight has great art and atmosphere, but everything just blends together and you're constantly in your map trying to navigate.

Another thing with Super Metroid, as long as you're not sequence breaking, it really funnels you down the critical path as long as you're being the slightest bit observant. In Hollow Knight, you can go a lot of places with only a few select upgrades. I don't even think I got the second in-air dash upgrade until like 25 hours in or something, because I went one way and not another.

2 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

I think a lot of my problem with Hollow Knight is that it all kind of looks the same, and the level design is more convoluted than necessary. When I think about Super Metroid, I can visualize every room in my head because it's so unique. Hollow Knight has great art and atmosphere, but everything just blends together and you're constantly in your map trying to navigate.

Definitely disagree there.  For remaining committed to a somber tone throughout, I think the visual diversity is actually one of the game's strongest points.

The only two areas that kind of bleed together in my mind visually are: Queen's Gardens and Greenpath.  Otherwise, there's no way I'm mistaking Deepnest for Ancient Basin, Fungal Wastes and Fog Canyon, City of Tears for Kingdom's Edge, etc.

The transition may be gradual in some screens, but that's a good thing.  And there's all sorts of neat layout touches in there, like the City of Tears' rain being caused by the lake resting above it.

2 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

Another thing with Super Metroid, as long as you're not sequence breaking, it really funnels you down the critical path as long as you're being the slightest bit observant. In Hollow Knight, you can go a lot of places with only a few select upgrades. I don't even think I got the second in-air dash upgrade until like 25 hours in or something, because I went one way and not another.

I think this is more due to the size of it.  Super Metroid's heavy hand does takes a back seat for a while, after you get the Ice Beam.  There's several points in Hollow Knight I'd consider to have similar divergent paths before it narrows again.

Hollow Knight can force you down a path unwillingly.  Deepnest in particular.  I actually love that about it.  Shit feels dangerous in a 'what have I got myself into' way.  But you're still making progress regardless.  They spread the major powerups and abilities evenly around, for the most part.  You're going to pick up some abilities much earlier or later than other folks because of that.

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Definitely disagree there.  For remaining committed to a somber tone throughout, I think the visual diversity is actually one of the game's strongest points.

The only two areas that kind of bleed together in my mind visually are: Queen's Gardens and Greenpath.  Otherwise, there's no way I'm mistaking Deepnest for Ancient Basin, Fungal Wastes and Fog Canyon, City of Tears for Kingdom's Edge, etc.

The transition may be gradual in some screens, but that's a good thing.  And there's all sorts of neat layout touches in there, like the City of Tears' rain being caused by the lake resting above it.

What I meant was, within each area it all blends together. The rooms aren't memorable enough and everything is so dense that I was in my map for half the game.

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

What I meant was, within each area it all blends together. The rooms aren't memorable enough and everything is so dense that I was in my map for half the game.

I sorta see it in places, there are repeating design ideas in parts.  But I think  it's more confusing remembering what connects to what than just remembering where you are.  That's also because everything is so big.  The point A to point B across the map can get daunting.  It's often hard to figure what is the most optimal route.

As far as similar looking corridors and vertical hubs, it's got a handful, but then again so do most Metroidvanias.  I beat NES Metroid without a map.  It was total bullshit, don't get me wrong.  But perhaps that speaks to my personal tolerance.  Navigating Hollow Knight is a cakewalk by comparison.  I did get to a point where I felt like I knew it.

Part of me also thinks that if Hollow Knight were as generous about the map features as other Metroidvanias, people would think differently about the structure.  For better or worse.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, crispy4000 said:

Its hard to say. Still just a small nitpick in a great game. I haven't beaten Prime since near its release and I've played SM too many times to remember how cryptic anything was my first couple times playing it. It could have just been the fact that I started looking on the wrong half of the map for one of the two items I needed to get to the final dreamer. Maybe I didn't pick up on some subtle hints on where I should have been going.

Assuming we just mean classic 2D style:

1. Hollow Knight, by a landslide.

2. Shadow Complex This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but I thought it was pure fun, especially back when it came out.

3. Dead Cells

4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

5. Bloodstained

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I’ll shout out a few that don’t get much praise:

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance 

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse

Metroid: Samus Returns

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue

Blaster Master Zero

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Now that I'm 7 hours into Ori and the Will of the Wisps I'm gonna bump this. I'm going to check out some of the favorites in this thread. Metroidvania games have me interested now.

I’d recommend giving Metroid Prime 1 a shot then.  So many of these games are 2D sidescrollers. First person ones are rare.  And few come close to it, 2D or 3D.  Plus the emulation enhancements are incredible, if you go that route.

Try Yoku’s Island Express if you want something inventive that’s also close to Ori.  Or just play the sequel.

30 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d recommend giving Metroid Prime 1 a shot then.  So many of these games are 2D sidescrollers. First person ones are rare.  And few come close to it, 2D or 3D.  Plus the emulation enhancements are incredible, if you go that route.

Try Yoku’s Island Express if you want something inventive that’s also close to Ori.  Or just play the sequel.

I played a beat MP1 on GameCube. Complete masterpiece. I'll have to look up Yoku's Island Express. Never heard if it. Thanks.

Edit: Looked it up and that looks like a lot if fun. @Keyser_Soze I think I'm going to try Carrion down the road to. 

• Shocked 1

I’m actually playing metroid prime right now. The Wiimote controls are innovative for what they are, but man they’ve kinda aged poorly. The down on the dpad is a stretch from the A button, and everything is just a bit too sluggish. Still an expertly designed game, but I can’t help but wonder how much better the experience would be on a modern VR controller. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Who here has played Hollow Knight? I searched for reviews for the PS4 and Xbox One X and there isn't any. Only for Switch (didn't look for PC) but is it available on Xbox or PS4 and how did you like it?

I think it’s an incredible game. 

A lot of people are turned off because it makes you go through large portions of the game before you locate the guy who sells the map in each area, and the fast travel system is rather limited, so essentially you are going to be doing a lot of back tracking and trial and error navigating in the game - like, a lot, more than other games in a genre where that’s already a thing. It’s a valid complaint and I found myself frustrated at times as well, but overall the rest of the experience outweighed that for me. 

In terms of atmosphere I think it’s second to none. The opaque story and setting are very haunting, the sound design is so so good, and the story actually is pretty good as you piece it all together. The combat is pretty deep for one of these - it’s more old school pattern recognition mixed with kind of dark soulsish boss design and at times difficulty level. 

I think it’s a game a person should go into with plenty of time on their hands and with the attitude of just soaking it all in. If you go in to try to complete it quickly, I don’t think you’d enjoy it as much. 

• Thanks 1

1. Super Metroid

2. SOTN

3. Hollow Knight

4. Axiom Verge

5. one of the handheld CV games but don’t remember which one 

I guess for this list a) I consider 3D versions of this format a different genre pretty much, b) I don’t think things like rogue legacy and dead cells are metroidvanias, c) I have played bloodstained, didn’t like it, d) have NOT played Ori, e) I think the definition is just a little loose if you’re including stuff like dark souls even if I already mentioned I don’t wanna include 3D games, but y’all do you. 

30 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think it’s an incredible game. 

A lot of people are turned off because it makes you go through large portions of the game before you locate the guy who sells the map in each area, and the fast travel system is rather limited, so essentially you are going to be doing a lot of back tracking and trial and error navigating in the game - like, a lot, more than other games in a genre where that’s already a thing. It’s a valid complaint and I found myself frustrated at times as well, but overall the rest of the experience outweighed that for me. 

In terms of atmosphere I think it’s second to none. The opaque story and setting are very haunting, the sound design is so so good, and the story actually is pretty good as you piece it all together. The combat is pretty deep for one of these - it’s more old school pattern recognition mixed with kind of dark soulsish boss design and at times difficulty level. 

I think it’s a game a person should go into with plenty of time on their hands and with the attitude of just soaking it all in. If you go in to try to complete it quickly, I don’t think you’d enjoy it as much. 

I might have to wait on this when I have no games to play. Sounds really interesting and this will be on my radar. Sounds terrific.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:49 PM, crispy4000 said:

Just posted yesterday.

Looks like I'm playing the number 2 game in this top 10 list. I'll try Hollow Knight soon but I will take a break from Metroidvania games. It sounds a bit difficult from what I read and heard.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Looks like I'm playing the number 2 game in this top 10 list. I'll try Hollow Knight soon but I will take a break from Metroidvania games. It sounds a bit difficult from what I read and heard.

Take a break after you beat Ori IMO.  Best to go into Hollow Knight fresh when you do.

Hollow Knight is #1 on my list too.  If you liked Super Metroid and Ori both, you’d probably dig it.  If you haven’t played Super Metroid yet, maybe do that first.

Also, Hollow Knight isn’t as hard it’s reputation.  The DLC gets nutty, and so do some optional remixed (dream) bosses.  But overall, it’s not brutal to see to completion.

45 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Take a break after you beat Ori IMO.  Best to go into Hollow Knight fresh when you do.

Hollow Knight is #1 on my list too.  If you liked Super Metroid and Ori both, you’d probably dig it.  If you haven’t played Super Metroid yet, maybe do that first.

Also, Hollow Knight isn’t as hard it’s reputation.  The DLC gets nutty, and so do some optional remixed (dream) bosses.  But overall, it’s not brutal to see to completion.

Well one video review showed just how gigantic the map can be with so many different ways to go. I struggle with that so if there isn't a clear path in beating the game it will be difficult for me. I watched gameplay and it looks really stylish and cool. I definitely will try it out soon enough. I'm not interested in Super Metriod. 

On 3/31/2021 at 11:35 AM, best3444 said:

I should have put Metroid Prime above. That was so awesome when I beat it at it's initial release. A masterpiece.

At the time I still preferred the 2D Metroid games, like Fusion and Zero Mission, but there was “something” about Prime. Such a feeling of immersion and being transported to another world. The music too. It was damn good. So few games sense can even match the sensation that enveloped you from the very moment you went behind the visor.