The White Nationalists Are Winning

Instead, as Kessler stood before news cameras after the Klan event, he denounced antifa, an anti-fascist group, as a “terrorist organization.” As for the Klan, Kessler gave them the benefit of the doubt.

“No one wanted them here,” Kessler said, “but they at least came and peaceably assembled.”

But Kessler knew there could be clashes at the rally, according to his private messages with other white nationalists on Discord, a group-chat app popular among far-right radicals.

“We should bring picket signs that can be used as sticks to bludgeon our enemies if they get violent,” he wrote in June, according to batches of the messages leaked to the alternative media site, Unicorn Riot — some of which are being used against Kessler and his cohorts in a federal suit accusing them of violating civil rights laws.

One of the movement’s key figures — Christopher Cantwell, better known from Charlottesville as “The Crying Nazi” — wrote a blog post in late June warning, “Follow Kessler At Your Peril.” Spencer also declared he was out. Even Andrew Anglin, founder of the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, recently told readers to avoid the event, saying that “everyone knows that there will be violence” and that participants will “look like ruffians” and that no matter what “we get blamed for it.” He added: “You need to protect yourselves. You need to lay low.”

Both sides, many sides.

Mobile, I can't edit out the tweet. Here's what I meant to put

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/inside-jason-kesslers-hate-fueled-rise/2018/08/11/335eaf42-999e-11e8-b60b-1c897f17e185_story.html?utm_term=.54b8e2e86fbfhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/local/inside-jason-kesslers-hate-fueled-rise/2018/08/11/335eaf42-999e-11e8-b60b-1c897f17e185_story.html?utm_term=.54b8e2e86fbf

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I agree with most people here that Scape's opinion is wrong on some of this, but there is no need to call him stupid and make fun of him.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if he didn't have a history of doing exactly what he's doing in this thread—arguing until he's blue in the face despite copping to having no fucking clue what he's talking about. And if you try to point him at actual information he refuses to read it. So why bother typing a serious reply to him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scape was wrong about this particular issue, but I think he’s correct that there has been an increase in extremism on both sides of the political spectrum.  Right now it’s more apparent on the right because Trump has energized them by getting elected despite championing politically incorrect opinions, spouting hatred and violating basic public norms about decency—but there’s also been more far left activity than there was in the early 2000s.

Leaving aside the argument as to who is worse—the far left or far right—I think the cause is a confluence of factors, including continued universal dissatisfaction caused by the Lesser Depression that began in 08 and the rise of social media amplifying the political Balkanization that has stemmed from globalization and the lack of a national, pan-political uniting cause and common enemy since the end of the Cold War.

Unlike Scape, I don’t think we can reverse the trend by being nicer to each other.  When you are dug deep into an ideological enclave and possessed by the belief that you are under siege by everyone outside of it—and when this becomes an essential part of how you socialize and bond with peer groups—any attempt by outsiders to ‘understand’ and ‘empathize ‘ with you will be viewed as patronizing, dishonest ‘concern trolling’.

Thence the right’s response to, for example, Obama’s ‘I see your perspective and disagree, but let’s come together’ rhetoric—unabashed hatred—and and their unabashed love for Trump’s “f*ck everyone who disagrees with me, they’re nasty

people who hate America” rhetoric.

The quickest way out of the conundrum is another uniting cause and enemy—some kind of WWIII .  And I’m not sure that we’ll find it, and don’t think it’s worth the destruction and loss of life that would inevitably follow. We had a flash of it after 9/11, I suppose—but not even that lasted very long.

Buckle in, folks, it’s going to get a lot worse, IMO.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...