James Bond Producers Are Reportedly Leaning Toward Idris Elba as the Next 007

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But how angry would you have been if she was black and deaf?

Shit I would have loved that.

Michelle Banks would have been awesome for that part.  She was one of the possible actresses who I initially suggested during the Oscars discussion I believe.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Why does James Bond need to be a man?

Because masculinity is integral to the character; he is meant to be the personification of the male (specifically, British) id. Unlike skin tone - which has no bearing on who or what Bond is as a character - changing Bond's gender would fundamentally change the underlying character.

That said, I would totally be fine with a 'Jane Bond', because I'm not a nerd and I don't give a shit about casting purity. But regardless of how I feel, it's a bad comparison.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

Because masculinity is integral to the character; he is meant to be the personification of the male (specifically, British) id. Unlike skin tone - which has no bearing on who or what Bond is as a character - changing Bond's gender would fundamentally change the underlying character.

That said, I would totally be fine with a 'Jane Bond', because I'm not a nerd and I don't give a shit about casting purity. But regardless of how I feel, it's a bad comparison.

I would say that you are tiptoeing the line here.   The character is a product of the cold war era British Agent...the first novel came out in 1953....so your assessment is semi correct in that "he is meant to be the personification of the male (specifically, British) id"...but color plays into that.....  unless you think MI-6 had prominent black agents post WW2.  

Even today MI5 and MI6 are trying to shake off that very image that you just connected with Bond

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5766701/MI6-attempts-shake-macho-James-Bond-image-bid-encourage-women.html

So any Bond in the modern world can be anything really...because it doesn't have to be tied to the cold war Bond Image of an MI-6 Agent.  

My take...a modern bond  in the modern worldcan be open to interpretation.......a Bond based on the cold war era fictional creation....not so much.  Personally..I like the take of creating another Agent persona and running with it.  Heck..really make it fun and have Bond die.....and pass the torch.     )I don't know...once the boomers are gone is the Bond Franchise really relevant?

But this is definitely a fun discussion.

I just saw this and thought..hmm..

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/people-outraged-jack-whitehalls-playing-disneys-first-openly-gay-character-jungle-cruise-damn-shame-150335651.html

2 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I would say that you are tiptoeing the line here.   The character is a product of the cold war era British Agent...the first novel came out in 1953....so your assessment is semi correct in that "he is meant to be the personification of the male (specifically, British) id"...but color plays into that.....  unless you think MI-6 had prominent black agents post WW2.  

Even today MI5 and MI6 are trying to shake off that very image that you just connected with Bond

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5766701/MI6-attempts-shake-macho-James-Bond-image-bid-encourage-women.html

So any Bond in the modern world can be anything really...because it doesn't have to be tied to the cold war Bond Image of an MI-6 Agent.  

My take...a modern bond  in the modern worldcan be open to interpretation.......a Bond based on the cold war era fictional creation....not so much.  Personally..I like the take of creating another Agent persona and running with it.  Heck..really make it fun and have Bond die.....and pass the torch.     )I don't know...once the boomers are gone is the Bond Franchise really relevant?

I'm not tip-toeing a line, you are conflating characterization and historical accuracy. Fictional characters are not defined by their fidelity to reality, let alone a character who has been played by seven different people over the past five decades. You could make a 60s Cold War-era Bond film with a black actor, and it may not be historically accurate, but it wouldn't change the underlying narrative or character arcs.

14 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

But this is definitely a fun discussion.

I just saw this and thought..hmm..

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/people-outraged-jack-whitehalls-playing-disneys-first-openly-gay-character-jungle-cruise-damn-shame-150335651.html

NOW you're getting it... to me if they REALLY wanted a Bond that reflected modern times, they would cast an British Bond of Middle Eastern decent rather than a Black Bond (although I'm not opposed to that) OR...  a Bi-sexual Bond :shock:

Bond was quite defined as a white man in the books and he's the same character throughout every film. Casting any other race or sex would be weird. Idris Elba could do it but why would he want to? He could play the part of another double-O agent in the next 007 film or a spin off. He could make that character into a better Agent and better film than any of the past 007 movies. He shouldn't have to play the part of a white man. He should be original. Established characters should stay how they are. No one wants a white Blade or a Asian Black Panther. 

7 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Bond was quite defined as a white man in the books and he's the same character throughout every film. Casting any other race or sex would be weird. Idris Elba could do it but why would he want to? He could play the part of another double-O agent in the next 007 film or a spin off. He could make that character into a better Agent and better film than any of the past 007 movies. He shouldn't have to play the part of a white man. He should be original. Established characters should stay how they are. No one wants a white Blade or a Asian Black Panther. 

This is the point I was trying to make. I keep hearing things like "it's time for a black bond" or whatever. No, it's not. What it's time for is for people to accept that some things shouldn't be changed because of reasons. What's sad is there were plenty of actors eagerly waiting for this role. But now they will be dismissed because we have to endure this experiment where we appease the bloggers, activists, commentators and other pejorative termed groups.

The fact that they let an Irishman from the Republic of Ireland play a British agent should put to rest any arguments about who can or cannot play James Bond.

Hell, I'd rather have a black Limey playing 007 than a white Paddy who is probably an IRA sympathizer at heart.p

A fucking Irishman should NEVER play 007.  NEVER!

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've never watched a Bond movie and I probably never will...

Most people who are trying to get this to happen don't care about the series either. They don't care about the character at all and just want to change things for no good reason I can think of than to stir shit up and piss off fans. That's dumb. I like the Bond films and want them to stay pure. I also love the Blade films and would complain if an Asian or white man tried play the part. 

4 minutes ago, nublood said:

This is the point I was trying to make. I keep hearing things like "it's time for a black bond" or whatever. No, it's not. What it's time for is for people to accept that some things shouldn't be changed because of reasons. What's sad is there were plenty of actors eagerly waiting for this role. But now they will be dismissed because we have to endure this experiment where we appease the bloggers, activists, commentators and other pejorative termed groups.

Two things.

1. "some things shouldn't be changed because of reasons."? Really? maybe not any good reasons. Especially for a modern Bond, there's no particularly good reason the actor needs to be white. I think the actor needs to have charisma, and needs to be physically capable, but there's no good reason they need to be white.

2. There is actually a worthwhile reason to change an established character, rather than invent new ones out of whole cloth. There's a good reason that when you make a spy movie, the ones with new characters get made for $30M, new franchises based on existing properties get double that, and proven franchises  get $150M+. You're getting a fundamentally different film when you put someone in "cool new spy movie" for $30M vs putting them in a $150M Bond movie. We can complain about the facts of franchise filmmaking, but it's a reality that should be considered.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Elba is English...

I will allow for Bond to be from the constituent parts of the United Kingdom, which would allow for actors from England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

But an actor from the bloody Republic of Ireland?!?!  That was bullshit and he it showed because he TOTALLY SUCKED as 007.

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Most people who are trying to get this to happen don't care about the series either. They don't care about the character at all and just want to change things for no good reason I can think of than to stir shit up and piss off fans. That's dumb. I like the Bond films and want them to stay pure. I also love the Blade films and would complain if am Asian or white man tried play the part. 

Were you one of the people who were angry that we got a Bond with blue eyes?

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Most people who are trying to get this to happen don't care about the series either. They don't care about the character at all and just want to change things for no good reason I can think of than to stir shit up and piss off fans. That's dumb. I like the Bond films and want them to stay pure. I also love the Blade films and would complain if an Asian or white man tried play the part. 

Nothing about Blade necessitates him being black or even being a dude, so an Asian or female Blade wouldn't be a problem. Black Panther is different since he's you know... an African Prince. There HAS been a female Black Panther though so...

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

and I STILL haven't been told what the guillotine means. 

We're not sure either, but it looks cool!

It doesn't have an impact on your reputation score, but most people use it for either (a) disapproval of the comment, (b) approval of a comment that involves how terrible the ultra-rich are and what should be done with them, or (c) it looks cool.

• Haha 1