Ok guys, I need a game to play starting today!

best3444

On 3/27/2021 at 8:14 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

If you're looking at shooters on Game Pass, I would recommend Wolfenstein: The New Order.  I liked it more than Doom + Doom Eternal, and it's got a legitimately excellent story.

I looked up reviews on this and it's not the greatest scores. However, I looked up Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and that got rave reviews. Have you played that? Better than The New Order?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I looked up reviews on this and it's not the greatest scores. However, I looked up Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and that got rave reviews. Have you played that? Better than The New Order?

New Colossus is really good, but New Order is much better in my opinion.  I'd assume that it wasn't reviewed as well because it was a cross-gen title and doesn't stand up graphically like other games that came out later.  It also released early on in the retro shooter cycle that we're still thankfully experiencing (pre Doom 2016 and lots of other retro FPS games), so perhaps critics weren't warmed to a game like this yet.

New Order also has a much stronger story than New Colossus, and it has a perfect ending.  It's best approached as more of an action-adventure game than a shooter, but the shooting is still pretty good and very old school in its approach.  The big knock on these games in my opinion is that they're very close to having amazing gameplay but fall just short of the mark.  The surprisingly deep and effective narrative is really the draw.  Pretty much the reverse of the recent Doom games.

Also The Old Blood is really good as well, but that's an expansion for The New Order and sort of a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

New Colossus is really good, but New Order is much better in my opinion.  I'd assume that it wasn't reviewed as well because it was a cross-gen title and doesn't stand up graphically like other games that came out later.  It also released early on in the retro shooter cycle that we're still thankfully experiencing (pre Doom 2016 and lots of other retro FPS games), so perhaps critics weren't warmed to a game like this yet.

New Order also has a much stronger story than New Colossus, and it has a perfect ending.  It's best approached as more of an action-adventure game than a shooter, but the shooting is still pretty good and very old school in its approach.  The big knock on these games in my opinion is that they're very close to having amazing gameplay but fall just short of the mark.  The surprisingly deep and effective narrative is really the draw.  Pretty much the reverse of the recent Doom games.

Also The Old Blood is really good as well, but that's an expansion for The New Order and sort of a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Well I didn't get to read this post until now. When I got home from work I immediately went to the Xbox store to re-download New Colossus. I played for about 3 hours and I really like it. Visually it's pretty incredible for a 2017 game. I like the cinematic narrative and the gameplay is fun. It had a video recap of New Order but I really didn't follow it to closely. 

Maybe I'll try New Order after I'm finished with Colossus. I have Doom Eternal to play as well. I may go back to Prey when I get my XSX.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed response. If I would have read that earlier I would have played New Order first. Oh well. :)

4 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Yeah I can't put it down 10 months later, it actually gets better on every play through. I couldn't careless about GTA at this point, RDR is my franchise now.

RDR2 is so amazingly detailed in EVERY aspect. The NPC's are really impressive, the game world is my favorite I ever played in, and regardless what others say I think the gameplay is great. 

I agree that I'd rather see more Red Dead than GTA but that's not happening any time soon. GTA is the next game coming from them and we will probably only see that game only from them this new generation. :(

@ShreddieMercuryRising I'm about 8 hours into Wolfenstein Colossus and I'm not overaly impressed. The enemy AI is brain dead unfortunately. All I do is shoot a nazi, run and hide in a corner, and wait for all of the enemies in that particular area to run right into my bullets. It reminds me of Goldeneye on N64.

The story is ok and the characters and voice acting are great. The visuals are amazing as well. Whenever a game does water and fire really well that always makes me happy. I'm just kinda going through the motions to beat the game since I did buy it. I'm passing on New Order. Overall just a solid title. 7.5ish.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

@ShreddieMercuryRising I'm about 8 hours into Wolfenstein Colossus and I'm not overaly impressed. The enemy AI is brain dead unfortunately. All I do is shoot a nazi, run and hide in a corner, and wait for all of the enemies in that particular area to run right into my bullets. It reminds me of Goldeneye on N64.

The story is ok and the characters and voice acting are great. The visuals are amazing as well. Whenever a game does water and fire really well that always makes me happy. I'm just kinda going through the motions to beat the game since I did buy it. I'm passing on New Order. Overall just a solid title. 7.5ish.

Star Trek Reaction GIF

On 3/29/2021 at 7:30 AM, best3444 said:

@BlueAngel I keep getting feeds of RDR2 on YouTube and it really has me wanting to go back and play again. I absolutely love that game and the world they created. I can understand your desire to keep playing now. :p

Just imagine what Rock* will be able to push out on these new consoles. I mean it's going to be truly amazing. I'm thinking GTA6 in 2023 at the earliest. 

I bought RDR2 the other day, and I've had a really weird experience with it that I can't seem to solve. I started the night before playing through the solo campaign, and I got to the first house where you fight the first bandits (not really a spoiler as it's mostly in the initial moments of the playthrough), but I went back to play it again the next day, and for some reason, my guy can't shoot ANYTHING. Oh, I aim and hit them, but they do no damage, so I just keep shooting and shooting until they kill me.

I can't seem to fix this, and the game is completely stuck at this moment because there's just no reason for this whatsoever.

I've completely restarted and tried to play through, but it just hits that point and basically the enemies are completely invincible.

The graphics for this game are AWESOME, and I suspect I'd really like this type of game, but I'm completely stuck and incapable of moving forward.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I bought RDR2 the other day, and I've had a really weird experience with it that I can't seem to solve. I started the night before playing through the solo campaign, and I got to the first house where you fight the first bandits (not really a spoiler as it's mostly in the initial moments of the playthrough), but I went back to play it again the next day, and for some reason, my guy can't shoot ANYTHING. Oh, I aim and hit them, but they do no damage, so I just keep shooting and shooting until they kill me.

I can't seem to fix this, and the game is completely stuck at this moment because there's just no reason for this whatsoever.

I've completely restarted and tried to play through, but it just hits that point and basically the enemies are completely invincible.

The graphics for this game are AWESOME, and I suspect I'd really like this type of game, but I'm completely stuck and incapable of moving forward.

Wow. I NEVER heard of an issue like that for that game. I have no idea what to tell you. Maybe do some research on it and maybe others ran into the same issue. I'm really sorry you're experiencing that. It must be extremely frustrating. The game has spectacular visuals and the world you get to explore after the first act is the best I've ever played in. RDR2 is my favorite game from last generation. 

Are you playing on console or PC?

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wow. I NEVER heard of an issue like that for that game. I have no idea what to tell you. Maybe do some research on it and maybe others ran into the same issue. I'm really sorry you're experiencing that. It must be extremely frustrating. The game has spectacular visuals and the world you get to explore after the first act is the best I've ever played in. RDR2 is my favorite game from last generation. 

Are you playing on console or PC?

I'm playing on PC.

And I totally agree on the visuals, and I can't tell you how much I wanted to play this when I finally bit the bullet and purchased it. I've checked through forums, but so far I've never seen anyone else with the same problem.

It was so bizarre because the first guy went down quickly and then everyone after that took no damage. No matter what I did, it would end up cutting to the "you're dead" screen after a certain amount of time of them constantly shooting back.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, brucoe said:

Okay, I completely reinstalled and now it is playing through. Looks like I might be able to keep playing this.

That's awesome news. Hope it continues to work for you and enjoy the game. It's a masterpiece imo but can take patience with the slow methodical movements of the character etc. They went for total realism and I think they accomplished that in spades. It's such an incredibly detailed game with so much to discover. 

52 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I'm a little further into the story, but I keep waiting for the open world part of it to open up. Seems very much on rails right now.

It takes some time but don't worry, it opens up and you can literally do whatever you want once you hit a particular part in the story. It's more focused in the beginning just to setup everything. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It takes some time but don't worry, it opens up and you can literally do whatever you want once you hit a particular part in the story. It's more focused in the beginning just to setup everything. 

Well, that's good to know.

14 hours ago, brucoe said:

Well, that's good to know.

One thing I really enjoyed and I think @BlueAngel did as well is hunting the legendary animals. That was so much fun because the map they offer you in the game is not exactly precise compared to the in-game map in the menu screen (hope that's not confusing).

Meaning, you have to really explore the gigantic areas they claim the animal is in to find the animal. I spent hours doing that and you are rewarded with different types of clothing etc by turning in their pelts. 

My advise is to just explore the world and interact with the gangs not only for the incredibly fun interactions and fights with them, but also for loot. 

Good thing about the game once it opens up is that you have an unlimited amount of time just doing your thing. I really hope you enjoy it. 

It is really hated here on the boards (I can understand some complaints) but I played the game as though I was Arthur Morgan and it was so fucking amazing 👏 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

One thing I really enjoyed and I think @BlueAngel did as well is hunting the legendary animals. That was so much fun because the map they offer you in the game is not exactly precise compared to the in-game map in the menu screen (hope that's not confusing).

Meaning, you have to really explore the gigantic areas they claim the animal is in to find the animal. I spent hours doing that and you are rewarded with different types of clothing etc by turning in their pelts. 

My advise is to just explore the world and interact with the gangs not only for the incredibly fun interactions and fights with them, but also for loot. 

Good thing about the game once it opens up is that you have an unlimited amount of time just doing your thing. I really hope you enjoy it. 

It is really hated here on the boards (I can understand some complaints) but I played the game as though I was Arthur Morgan and it was so fucking amazing 👏 

You played Red Dead Redemption II the way that I’m playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. The story and characters were the main draw of RDR2 for me, not the gameplay. It was serviceable enough to drive the story and characters, but I never found it to be all that engaging or fun TBH. The way that I played it was more like an interactive movie than a virtual world that I lived in. But it’s the opposite with Odyssey, the gameplay is the main draw for me and I feel like I’m living as a mercenary for hire in a virtual world while playing it. The main storyline is actually a somewhat small part of the game, the side stuff that you can do in it makes up a good amount of the overall experience. I’ve played it for roughly 90 hours now, and I haven’t progressed the story all that much in that time.

19 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

You played Red Dead Redemption II the way that I’m playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. The story and characters were the main draw of RDR2 for me, not the gameplay. It was serviceable enough to drive the story and characters, but I never found it to be all that engaging or fun TBH. The way that I played it was more like an interactive movie than a virtual world that I lived in. But it’s the opposite with Odyssey, the gameplay is the main draw for me and I feel like I’m living as a mercenary for hire in a virtual world while playing it. The main storyline is actually a somewhat small part of the game, the side stuff that you can do in it makes up a good amount of the overall experience. I’ve played it for roughly 90 hours now, and I haven’t progressed the story all that much in that time.

That's cool. I didn't necessarily play it that way but I'm glad you're really enjoying it. Gameplay in Odyssey is phenomenal for the most part. Level grinding is the one thing that bothered me but overall it's AAA game. After you beat it I suggest you take a big break from the series then eventually play Valhalla. You'll like that, too.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's cool. I didn't necessarily play it that way but I'm glad you're really enjoying it. Gameplay in Odyssey is phenomenal for the most part. Level grinding is the one thing that bothered me but overall it's AAA game. After you beat it I suggest you take a big break from the series then eventually play Valhalla. You'll like that, too.

I love the gameplay in Odyssey, it’s fun and satisfying. Traversal is smooth, and combat is visceral with a good variety of weapons and skills. Since there’s level scaling you don’t really need to grind too much except to fight the higher level mercenaries. I just do most of the side quests available which reward me with loot, and XP.

A better name for the game would be The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer, because you’re constantly going on different side adventures that have their own mini-stories not connected to the main story. It reminds me of a TV series.

I assume that I still have a lot to play since I’m doing just about everything in it, so when I do eventually finish it I won’t be playing Valhalla for a while since I will want to take a break from big lengthy open world games and play some shorter more linear games instead.

• Like 1