~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

Just now, BloodyHell said:

I mean, except its not. Millions of gun owners have never hurt anybody, and cops have Millions of interactions with the public daily where all goes well. Pretending bad cops/gun owners is the norm is absurd. But you all know that..

And yet more guns means more gun deaths. It's a societal and systemic issue not one of individual actions. By making guns so widely available it increases the likelihood that road rage ends in a shooting, or a misunderstanding ends in a death, or that an innocent bystander gets caught in the crossfire in a minor dispute that gets out of hand. It doesn't determine that there will be a death or a shooting in a particular instance, but the law of large numbers applies.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And yet more guns means more gun deaths. It's a societal and systemic issue not one of individual actions. By making guns so widely available it increases the likelihood that road rage ends in a shooting, or a misunderstanding ends in a death, or that an innocent bystander gets caught in the crossfire in a minor dispute that gets out of hand. It doesn't determine that there will be a death or a shooting in a particular instance, but the law of large numbers applies.

This I definitely agree with. I just bristle at ACAB, all gun owners are bad, because its not true. Both should certainly be held accountable when they commit a crime, but committing crimes is not the norm for either.

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

This I definitely agree with. I just bristle at ACAB, all gun owners are bad, because its not true. Both should certainly be held accountable when they commit a crime, but committing crimes is not the norm for either.

The problems with both guns and police are systemic issues and not individual actors. For police there are plenty of well meaning cops, but the culture of policing is incredibly reactionary and toxic so as to protect the so called bad apples (which remember, "a few bad apples spoils the bunch") from any sort of accountability

8 hours ago, osxmatt said:
60c3e4ab3b0000b608ec29de.jpg?ops=1778_10
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

At 15, he shot and killed his parents, two classmates at his school, and wounded 25 others. He’s been used as the reason to lock kids up for life ever...

I have a sister who suffers with schizophrenia and it is absolutely heart breaking. Our gun culture failed this boy, failed his class mates, and to some degree even failed his parents. It just doesn’t have to be like this. A really stunning read.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I have a sister who suffers with schizophrenia and it is absolutely heart breaking. Our gun culture failed this boy, failed his class mates, and to some degree even failed his parents. It just doesn’t have to be like this. A really stunning read.

Man I feel ya. My brother has been committed a few times for bipolar/schizophrenia and shits it's fucking rough. I'm almost glad he can't hold down a job long enough to afford a gun, his anger and paranoia just wouldn't be a good combination with a deadly weapon

• Like 1

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Man I feel ya. My brother has been committed a few times for bipolar/schizophrenia and shits it's fucking rough. I'm almost glad he can't hold down a job long enough to afford a gun, his anger and paranoia just wouldn't be a good combination with a deadly weapon

I feel for you two. My step aunt who I don’t have much love for (I know it’s mean but she’s from France and shows no real emotion back) Anyways about 20 years ago her sister had some mental breakdown back home in Paris, and went back to help take care of her. Sister started talking about their mother who has had episodes herself. Skip a few years later and my uncle found my aunt walking and talking to the walls and rubbing olive oil on the walls to keep the voices away. Turns out this type of behaviour is hereditary and the little episodes her mom had were worse then what she was dealing with. So were her sister and her episodes being scarier then she initially told her. My uncle had to have her hospitalize for I think just over 2-3 months. She has had a blip or 2 since then but has overall faired well since then. Which is very surprising because my uncle is now suffering his own memory issues from a car crash, and is not an easy man to be around. (That’s for another time) This doesn’t seem to be passed down to men, but I do have 2 nieces from her. . . . well one is I guess considered transgender now. They have shown small issues here and there, but sadly it might just be a matter of time for them to have THEIR moment too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

more than just Gun culture, but society’s stigma of mental health failed him. He was afraid to get help, because he didn’t want to be branded “retarded”, and the public could consider he could get better, because once crazy always crazy, and he may not want to get better and not take his meds. So best to just lock him up and throw away the key. 

Mental health being another one of those things Republicans really want to do anything about. Despite using it as one of the “real problems” causing gun violence. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:49 PM, thewhyteboar said:

Responsible gun owners!

I remember reading that the trajectory of a bullet to remain in a spiral with lethal energy is shockingly high. Like basically you can shoot a bullet straight up or at an angle of like 5 degrees and it will fall down at terminal velocity, which either won't even hurt or will leave you a nasty bruise depending on the gauge, but any wider of an angle than about 10 degrees from vert and there's a good chance the bullet remains in a spiral with lethal force on whatever it ends up hitting, depending on the wind.

20 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I need to read the complaint, because it seems absolutely bananas to try and hold the manufacturer responsible for the unlawful way the item is used.can’t imagine the marketing angle they used that would create reasonable linkage to murdering a bunch of 1st graders.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I need to read the complaint, because it seems absolutely bananas to try and hold the manufacturer responsible for the unlawful way the item is used.can’t imagine the marketing angle they used that would create reasonable linkage to murdering a bunch of 1st graders.

Pretty sure its claiming that remington's marketing was advertising the weapons for "combat" or "offensive" purposes, which would be like if an opioid manufacturer was advertising them for recreational uses.