Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

17 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

kevin mccarthy having a normal one on the floor of the house, over 40 minutes just ranting and raving like a madman, and we get this comment

holy hell he went for eight fucking hours

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/11/19/kevin-mccarthy-derided-over-unhinged-8-hour-speech-against-build-back-better-act

Slowly going back into the office and it's obvious that my daughter misses my presence and it makes it hard for her to rest. My wife just went back this week and although she's full time telework it's still hard. And that's just to merely take care of her. Bonding takes time and repetition and absence is felt. Paid family leave shouldn't even be merely available, it should be required. 

We've even talked about the off chance of having another but this one was so hard from the pregnancy on that just ends the fantasy. If we could just take time off and focus on making a family maybe things would be different. Do we, as a society, want to encourage family development?

One of the best things about my work history has been the ability to be home a lot. My wife hasn’t worked outside of the home essentially the entirety of our children’s lives beyond going to one of the theaters from time to time to help out. My work being more evening oriented has made it easy to be around for all sorts of things without the strain it puts on a person with a more traditional work arrangement. I would definitely like to see things change in society to make it easier on parents to be with their children, not just in the early infant stage but throughout their lives.

It shouldn’t be the end of the world to take off a few hours to go to a dance recital or a spelling be that takes place during work hours.

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Slowly going back into the office and it's obvious that my daughter misses my presence and it makes it hard for her to rest. My wife just went back this week and although she's full time telework it's still hard. And that's just to merely take care of her. Bonding takes time and repetition and absence is felt. Paid family leave shouldn't even be merely available, it should be required. 

We've even talked about the off chance of having another but this one was so hard from the pregnancy on that just ends the fantasy. If we could just take time off and focus on making a family maybe things would be different. Do we, as a society, want to encourage family development?

When I had my first kid, I worked for a crazy racist dude. The company was amazing. The team I put together was great. Everyone else at the company I loved. My direct VP was a monster. I bring this up because when my first kid was born, parental leave was a whole TWO weeks for non-birthing parents. That's it. I worked right up until my wife was off to the hospital because she had contractions five minutes apart. She was in labor for an entire week. When she finally did give birth, I had only a week left and I fought to be able to work from home for a week just to give her a chance to fully recuperate. My boss shot it down because "What can a dad even do other than bring your wife some food? Not like you're feeding the baby or changing diapers." If I could, I would have thrown a soiled diaper across the Internet and into his face. Dude had two kids and was somehow proud he never helped change a diaper in his life. I did not last long at that company after that.

• Guillotine 2

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

When I find this out about some dude, and you can about 90% of the time tell ahead of time who this is, what respect I have for them plummets to the depths of hell.

What's worse is that first tar diaper. How does someone force their wife to get up, just hours after giving birth, to change that first bloody, tar diaper? I don't think my wife changed a single diaper while we were in the hospital the few days after birth on all three of our kids. I don't even understand how is something to be proud of.

Like @Anathema- said, that's bonding time. The aren't that many other times when a baby's awake those first few weeks, so changing time it is.

I left there and went to work for a French company and they gave me two months paid. Everyone parent deserves that time.

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Regarding the difficulty of pregnancy—I think we need to subsidize fertility treatment big-time in this country.

I cannot count the number of couples I have met who are facing fertility issues that would, should they overcome them, be providing solid two-parent middle class homes for their children.  Given our falling birthrate and the negative consequences that has, we should literally be paying for these people to procreate.  Instead a lot of them just don’t have kids because fertility treatments like IVF are extremely expensive to privately finance.

12 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Regarding the difficulty of pregnancy—I think we need to subsidize fertility treatment big-time in this country.

I cannot count the number of couples I have met who are facing fertility issues that would, should they overcome them, be providing solid two-parent middle class homes for their children.  Given our falling birthrate and the negative consequences that has, we should literally be paying for these people to procreate.  Instead a lot of them just don’t have kids because fertility treatments like IVF are extremely expensive to privately finance.

After we empty foster home care. 

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

When I had my first kid, I worked for a crazy racist dude. The company was amazing. The team I put together was great. Everyone else at the company I loved. My direct VP was a monster. I bring this up because when my first kid was born, parental leave was a whole TWO weeks for non-birthing parents. That's it. I worked right up until my wife was off to the hospital because she had contractions five minutes apart. She was in labor for an entire week. When she finally did give birth, I had only a week left and I fought to be able to work from home for a week just to give her a chance to fully recuperate. My boss shot it down because "What can a dad even do other than bring your wife some food? Not like you're feeding the baby or changing diapers." If I could, I would have thrown a soiled diaper across the Internet and into his face. Dude had two kids and was somehow proud he never helped change a diaper in his life. I did not last long at that company after that.

Laughs in two DAYS and working on my laptop next to my wife until she was literally about to push.

I was still hourly at the time.

20DC-PELOSI-1-sub-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The House’s approval of a sweeping social policy bill after weeks of fits and starts notched another win for the speaker in a career defined by them.

It was only after her call with Mr. Manchin at the baseball game that Ms. Pelosi discovered that the West Virginian’s demands were contained in a sort of makeshift contract he had delivered to Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, in late July. The document, which was signed by both men, had been kept secret — including from her — for months.

“I would have liked to have known that,” Ms. Pelosi, said in an interview on Friday, recounting how she felt blindsided. “However, it was what it was.”

She is still not done, with the Senate now getting a chance to reshape the measure in the hope of eventually sending it back for final House approval and Mr. Biden’s signature. Mr. Manchin is still demanding major changes, such as the jettisoning of a new four-week paid family and medical leave program that Ms. Pelosi has made a top priority.

But in the weeks since their call, Mr. Manchin has privately expressed an openness to embracing a costlier plan than the one he initially insisted upon, and the speaker now says she is confident that the measure approved by the House will re-emerge from the Senate mostly intact.

But in the weeks since their call, Mr. Manchin has privately expressed an openness to embracing a costlier plan than the one he initially insisted upon, and the speaker now says she is confident that the measure approved by the House will re-emerge from the Senate mostly intact.

I wish it was possible to tell when he was saying something he actually meant, because at the start of this process he said publicly that he wanted a $4T bill and obviously that was complete horseshit.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Or at least make adoption free, faster, and easier. If we can't get free cancer treatment, we aren't getting free fertility treatment. Not that im against it in any way, I just think there are far more important medical procedures that need funding.

• 2 weeks later...
dome_capitol_102621gn6_lead.jpg
THEHILL.COM

On the president's Afghanistan withdrawal, voters endorsed the policy, while, at the very same time, recoiling from the performance.

But no stranger to the process (a group comprising over 99 percent of Americans) could look at what has transpired in Washington over the last few months and conclude that Democrats are running an effective, smoothly functioning machine, united behind a core vision of the public good.

Voters like our policy but not our performance—two quite different dimensions.

One only need look at our withdrawal from Afghanistan to understand the distinction. A majority consistently approved of the policy, while an even larger majority faulted the administration for the way they handled the exit.

In my view, the Afghanistan critics are wrong on the facts, but that’s not the point, at least not here. Voters endorsed the policy, while, at the very same time, recoiling from the performance.

They can also support the specifics of the infrastructure bill and Build Back Better while being repelled by the process that got us one of the two, with the other still awaiting final action.

In the ’90s, many Democrats were wholly convinced that the proposed health care reform would be politically devastating, and that unless the changes they advocated were made, the electoral consequences would be catastrophic.

In the end, the catastrophe resulted from everyone focusing on their own specific objections, while ignoring the bigger, and far more important picture — the need to look strong, unified and successful in achieving central priorities for the American people.