Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

On 3/31/2021 at 10:04 AM, mclumber1 said:

Because it's less convenient, and often times slower, than other modes of transport.  If I wanted to take rail from Las Vegas to San Diego, there will not be a direct, non-stop route.  It's going to probably make stops in Barstow, Victorville, 3 (or more) stops in Los Angeles, and Orange County before actually arriving in San Diego.  Direct flights are offered a dozen times a day between these two cities, and I can drive down to San Diego in about 5 hours if I time it right to not get stuck in Riverside. 

Yeah but good luck avoiding that traffic. About the only way to do it anymore is to travel at off peak times. Good luck try to drive up to Vegas after work and heaven help you if you try to come back on a Sunday.

They could probably charge extra for non stop service a couple times a day and still fill the trains.

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

They could probably charge extra for non stop service a couple times a day and still fill the trains.

Yep. This isn't a novel concept. I've taken express trains from Poughkeepsie to NYC several times. They aren't nonstop, but it's still faster and cheaper than driving.

Pay $50 a month with taxes for 200/200 from Starry, I often see 230/230 though. During the pandemic Starry added a $30 for 100/50.

The cheapest plan from Charter is 200/10 for $74.99. Even their gigabit download only has 35 up. 

The only other option is crappy DSL from Frontier, not seeing an upload speed but looks like it's 25 down for $45. A year or two ago I think it was still something like 15/3 for the same price. 

20-30 Mbps upload is bad enough living alone, I can't imagine how bad it's been the past year in multi-person households.

15 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Yep. This isn't a novel concept. I've taken express trains from Poughkeepsie to NYC several times. They aren't nonstop, but it's still faster and cheaper than driving.

If you build it they will come. But good luck getting it built.

26 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah but good luck avoiding that traffic. About the only way to do it anymore is to travel at off peak times. Good luck try to drive up to Vegas after work and heaven help you if youngest to come back on a Sunday.

We've been pretty fortunate - if you leave Vegas (on any day besides a Sunday) at around 9 or 10, you usually don't run into any traffic jams once you get down to San Bernardino/Riverside.  If you leave Vegas any later than noon you are pretty much guaranteed to hit a traffic wall before Riverside. 

Coming back the other direction we've never had very many slow downs. 

But whatever you do DO NOT drive from Vegas on a Sunday.  traffic sucks ass starting at Primm because all of the California residents are trying to make it back home from their weekend in Vegas. 

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

We've been pretty fortunate - if you leave Vegas (on any day besides a Sunday) at around 9 or 10, you usually don't run into any traffic jams once you get down to San Bernardino/Riverside.  If you leave Vegas any later than noon you are pretty much guaranteed to hit a traffic wall before Riverside. 

Coming back the other direction we've never had very many slow downs. 

But whatever you do DO NOT drive from Vegas on a Sunday.  traffic sucks ass starting at Primm because all of the California residents are trying to make it back home from their weekend in Vegas. 

If Primm had a new sheriff he could sort that out.

5 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Having to pay $160 a month for JUST high speed internet (with no data cap) from Cox is not "just fine" in my opinion.  It's lunacy.  

It's galling that every major ISP lifted their data caps at the start of COVID "as a courtesy", and then brought them all back again a couple of months later, as if they hadn't just proven that data caps had no legitimate purpose by lifting them at the exact time when there would be an all-time spike in home internet usage.

13 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It's galling that every major ISP lifted their data caps at the start of COVID "as a courtesy", and then brought them all back again a couple of months later, as if they hadn't just proven that data caps had no legitimate purpose by lifting them at the exact time when there would be an all-time spike in home internet usage.

Since being reintroduced I easily hit mine every month and it's just an easy way for them duckers to fleece me out of another $10/month

Yo

?m=02&d=20210406&t=2&i=1557403806&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The U.S. Senate parliamentarian ruled on Monday that Democrats may use a procedural tool known as reconciliation to pass more legislation this year, a spokesman for Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said, which could clear the way for passage of an infrastructure bill without...

That's for this year, using it as a means to revise the budget.

So it's a matter of negotiating with Sinema and Manchin again. :rolleyes:

But they don't need to water it down considerably to get 10 Republican votes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:
t_6c951984d5be4fa988822319b53eda84_name_
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Even in a Republican stronghold, Biden contrasted his plan with the GOP tax cuts of the Trump era.

He stood in front of a bridge that’s outlived its expected working life by two decades.

Well, if any one would know it would be Biden.....

tenor.gif

Spoiler

Just kidding. Please don't die, uncle Joe.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Like half of the Democrats in the Senate are 80+ year olds who would be replaced by a GOP governor if they died. "Don't worry, we'll fix it later for sure" is not an acceptable plan.

AGEIST! :angry:

24 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Like half of the Democrats in the Senate are 80+ year olds who would be replaced by a GOP governor if they died. "Don't worry, we'll fix it later for sure" is not an acceptable plan.

Well, we'll all be dead by 2050 due to climate change anyway, so...