Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Here's the "final" framework that will be announced at 11:30am:

The House progressives are now very much the "wild card" for the chances of this framework passing.

There's plenty of good, but Paid Leave needs to be part of it. It's embarrassing that the civilized world has this and we can't even negotiate down to four fucking weeks.

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There's plenty of good, but Paid Leave needs to be part of it. It's embarrassing that the civilized world has this and we can't even negotiate down to four fucking weeks.

My wife has been on parental leave since last October, 3 months fully paid and the remaining months at about 1/3 pay. 

And daycare is also paid for by the government.

10 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

My wife has been on parental leave since last October, 3 months fully paid and the remaining months at about 1/3 pay. 

And daycare is also paid for by the government.

My wife just started back at work today after 3 months. Fully unpaid, and we will be paying $300/week for daycare. With the CTC we could almost make it work where my wife would be full time stay at home but it's just not quite enough.

The house leave plan is pretty garbage which is sad since the plans out there by gilibrand et al are actually good!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife just started back at work today after 3 months. Fully unpaid, and we will be paying $300/week for daycare. With the CTC we could almost make it work where my wife would be full time stay at home but it's just not quite enough.

The house leave plan is pretty garbage which is sad since the plans out there by gilibrand et al are actually good!

The way it works in Korea is the city government sends each family a monthly stipend of 300 bucks or so per kid. If we send a kid to daycare, the money goes to the daycare instead of us. We had to pay things like an entrance fee and smaller fees for parties and supplies and whatnot, but nothing monthly.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Senator Sailor Moon (Anime Party - Lollipop Land) kinda/sorta endorses the "Build Back Better" framework, no word from Baron Von Coalfield (Harkonnen Party - Giedi Prime)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Senator Sailor Moon (Anime Party - Lollipop Land) kinda/sorta endorses the "Build Back Better" framework, Baron Von Coalfield (Harkonnen Party - Giedi Prime) says some words about it
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Senator Sailor Moon (Anime Party - Lollipop Land) kinda/sorta endorses the "Build Back Better" framework, Baron Von Coalfield (Harkonnen Party - Giedi Prime) uses words
7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

a little more details.

Need more details on the climate change and energy portion from some experts.

And CTC for one year is goofy, preschool and child care for 6 years is ok and sets up an expiration in 2028/2029 rather during Biden term 2(or not? Exact timing I can't find)

That's good because it's something Dems can run on renewing and strengthening. 

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If this was a parliamentary system, this would be tantamount to a vote of "no confidence" in the Biden government.

If this was a parliamentary system, the leader would be able to just say "Oh, sorry Sinema/Manchin, I am not going to allow you to run for the party next time. Byyyyyyyeee!" And then the party would be more homogenous in policy and objectives (and could get things done).

7 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Don't pass anything

At this point I am expecting the final result to be $1.25 trillion for a single cubic mile of poured concrete that will employ 10,000 ex-coal workers in West Virginia. And the land will be coincidentally owned (and bought from) a shell company owned by 75 members of the Senate.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's disgraceful. In Canada she'd get 55% of her previous salary for up to 12-18 months (and potentially topped up to 100% by her employer), and you'd get $570/mo for the kid from the government. And also you'd get to use any of that parental leave as well, if you wanted.