Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

ZL5DSGBBOUI6ZKGZBAT2FJFZCU.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Arizona senator's caginess is bordering on a betrayal of public duty.

until Senator Sinema stops being cute, and starts doing her job and leading for the people of Arizona — we’re simply not going to be able to move the president’s agenda forward.

At the end of the day, what’s at issue is whether Democrats will rise to all of these monumental challenges. So Porter is right: If Sinema and Manchin truly believe the infrastructure bill alone — or that bill paired with a reconciliation bill that’s been effectively gutted — is enough to meet those challenges, then they should damn well tell their voters and the American people that they think this.

And then they should feel compelled to justify it.

Stressing that it’s impossible to negotiate until centrists say what they want, Porter added:

I was not elected to read the mind of Kyrsten Sinema. Thank goodness, because I have no idea what she’s thinking.

The reconciliation bill is the heart of the Biden and Democratic Party agenda. It would invest in our people in all kinds of ways, providing social and economic infrastructure —

child care, health care, education, paid leave — that would help and empower millions struggling to reach or remain in the middle class. As Jonathan Cohn puts it, all this would “alter everyday life in the same way that the core pieces of the New Deal and Great Society did.”

That part of the interview:

6DAA5VF6MFI7PCNLN3GT65MIAM.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The White House and top Democratic lawmakers have agreed to boost a tax credit for industrial carbon capture projects in a deal that could help solidify support for the budget reconciliation bill at the heart of President Joe Biden's economic agenda, two sources with knowledge of the matter said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
6DAA5VF6MFI7PCNLN3GT65MIAM.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The White House and top Democratic lawmakers have agreed to boost a tax credit for industrial carbon capture projects in a deal that could help solidify support for the budget reconciliation bill at the heart of President Joe Biden's economic agenda, two sources with knowledge of the matter said.

this seems good

• Like 1

That Larry summers is for option #2 here tells me instantly it's the wrong choice.

I think this 1.8T, if we can get Manchin on board, is what at minimum needs to get done. It covers most democratic constituencies and helps medicare recipients which will be key for winning any future election. It still includes climate provisions which is the #1 most important issue even if it may not be the most salient.

Including a Medicare negotiation for drugs and then you've got some stuff to run on going forward and some stuff to brag about. 1.8T over ten years isn't enough but this is the minimum that is necessary for the country and democratic electoral prospects.

210929085341-kyrsten-sinema-joe-manchin-
WWW.CNN.COM

But while Democrats are lucky to have a Democrat of any ideological persuasion representing West Virginia, they may not be getting the best bang for their buck from Sinema... Their party has a much easier time winning in Arizona than West Virginia.

Some numbers:

Part of what may be happening is that Sinema thinks that Arizona is a redder state than it actually is. That's understandable insofar as Democrats have only started winning statewide races there with regularity recently. Sinema became the first Democrat to win an Arizona Senate race since 1988.

This feat, however, was repeated by Mark Kelly in 2020. Kelly won by basically the same margin against the same opponent as Sinema and in a tougher political environment. Biden, too, became the first Democrat to win the state on the presidential level since 1996.

Beyond Kelly and Biden, Democrats in Arizona now control two of the five seats on the state's corporation commission, the secretary of state's office and superintendent of public instruction office. They also hold five of the nine US House seats.

If she's trying to copy McCain's ways, Sinema isn't doing a great job. McCain usually voted with his party. In his final full year in the Senate, he voted with his party more than 90% of the time on party unity votes (i.e. those where at least 50% of one party voted a different way from 50% of the other party). This was about on par for him. McCain voted with his party less than the median senator, but not that much less.

Sinema is an entirely different legislator. She votes against her party far more than the median legislator on party unity votes, according to the CQ Almanac. From 2013 to 2019, she's never voted with her party more than 75% of the time.

Democrats in Arizona are about as liberal as the national average, according to both the 2020 primary exit polls and CES. More than 60% of Democrats called themselves liberal in both surveys.

The bottom line is that Sinema may be unnecessarily moderate for her own electoral good. Maybe it'll work out for her. Still, It's possible though that not only is she making Biden's life more difficult, but her own electoral future more difficult as well.

Putting aside the general stance here that she's not actually a moderate (she's conservative), this has been one of the more confusing strategies I've seen. I don't really get, especially with her big time leftist views she espoused prior to entering office, why she tacked so far right.

Obviously I'm happy that we have a majority where we can even be talking about national paid leave and free community college and an actual infrastructure bill instead of the meme of infrastructure week. But she could easily be more liberal (and deep down I'm pretty sure she is) and help to get these things done quicker, or at all.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Putting aside the general stance here that she's not actually a moderate (she's conservative), this has been one of the more confusing strategies I've seen. I don't really get, especially with her big time leftist views she espoused prior to entering office, why she tacked so far right.

$$$