Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

What the fuck

I ask the same thing all the time...

But yeah, we have a 3 acre property that my Grandparents bought back in the 70s, they built a house on it and then my mom and two of her siblings built houses there in the 80s and 90s. When the wifey and I got married, we initially rented my grandparents house (they had been dead a long time) and then a few years ago we bought it from my mom and her siblings.

And then proceeded to essentially demolish the whole thing and completely rebuild it. But our house is way on the back side of the property, and the old asphalt/gravel driveway had completely deteriorated, so the wife said "fix it!"

Just now, sblfilms said:

I ask the same thing all the time...

But yeah, we have a 3 acre property that my Grandparents bought back in the 70s, they built a house on it and then my mom and two of her siblings built houses there in the 80s and 90s. When the wifey and I got married, we initially rented my grandparents house (they had been dead a long time) and then a few years ago we bought it from my mom and her siblings.

And then proceeded to essentially demolish the whole thing and completely rebuild it. But our house is way on the back side of the property, and the old asphalt/gravel driveway had completely deteriorated, so the wife said "fix it!"

cry me a river GIF

• Haha 2

Some moderate house Dems are starting to attempt to push to have Nancy pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill before the senate budget/Dem recon bill passes there, in effect trying to kill that bill.

These radical moderates want to sink the Biden agenda unlike the team playing squad smh

• Guillotine 4

Taps the sign

22 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Some moderate house Dems are starting to attempt to push to have Nancy pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill before the senate budget/Dem recon bill passes there, in effect trying to kill that bill.

These radical moderates want to sink the Biden agenda unlike the team playing squad smh

That's why. Nancy says she's not passing the bipartisan bill until the Dem only budget passes.

This is good

I know the go-to answer is, "They didn't like the black man," but considering how well not doing anything worked, it's still weird to me that both large and small infrastructure packages went nowhere under Obama as Republicans never took it up, but now even McConnell signed onto this. 69-30 is a big fucking deal (as Biden would say).

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know the go-to answer is, "They didn't like the black man," but considering how well not doing anything worked, it's still weird to me that both large and small infrastructure packages went nowhere under Obama as Republicans never took it up, but now even McConnell signed onto this. 69-30 is a big fucking deal (as Biden would say).

There is the racism and also Biden being better for negotiating in a place he spent his life, but also there was the need from dumb centrist democrats and virtually all Republicans to have a big bipartisan bill pass the senate to help stave off filibuster reform; a pressure that didn't exist during Obama's time until 2014 at earliest.

This will be further used as "proof" that no change is needed, the senate "works", etc. It's coming!

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There is the racism and also Biden being better for negotiating in a place he spent his life, but also there was the need from dumb centrist democrats and virtually all Republicans to have a big bipartisan bill pass the senate to help stave off filibuster reform; a pressure that didn't exist during Obama's time until 2014 at earliest.

This will be further used as "proof" that no change is needed, the senate "works", etc. It's coming!

I mean he was able to get all these yes votes WITH THE CONDITION THAT THEY'RE GONNA GO IT ALONE ON A MONUMENTAL BUDGET.

Like, we need to process that this bill, even if it's not as good as Biden's $2 trillion proposal, is a big deal and even more ambitious than the ones proposed in the 2010s (and the Infrastructure Weeks Trump failed at). Biden wanting to go big is actually panning out based on COVID relief and now this, and if he manages to get something better out of the House (no doubt progressives in the House will want to add to the bill) and get budget reconciliation finished by September as Schumer wants, then Biden and Schumer would be probably the best leaders in my short lifetime.

It honestly annoys me to see Twitter or Facebook progressives, who I completely sympathize with as far as what this moment requires of us, say that Democrats need to focus on passing good legislation. They are! It takes time, but what they've proposed and what's working through and passing the Halls of Congress, are big fucking deals.

tumblr_mzxpkdhnvZ1qlsrn9o1_500.gif

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I mean he was able to get all these yes votes WITH THE CONDITION THAT THEY'RE GONNA GO IT ALONE ON A MONUMENTAL BUDGET.

Yeah, many Republicans didn't really care about that. Sen. Kennedy has said as much on record. I think even they realized that you can't really tell the majority "no" on their whole agenda if they've got the ability to pass much of it with a simple majority.

I agree with this take, too:

Just now, Uaarkson said:

So why would passing the bipartisan bill before the reconciliation bill “kill” the reconciliation bill?

Leverage. No bipartisan bill, no recon bill goes both ways. Keeps moderate Dems on board for the Dem only budget, and keeps liberal Dems on board with bipartisan infrastructure.