GOP - We want 0%

Dem - Let's start discussions at 50%

End result - 25%

How it should work in any functioning democracy:

Dem - We were elected to government and want 100%

GOP - We want 0%

Other Dem element - We would prefer 75%

End result - 89%

EDIT - To be clear, this is an indictment of both the Democratic Party as well as the structural system of the US government where it's impossible for the governing party to really govern

I posted this in the wrong thread so apologies to all of you who are double quoted. :| 

When I see stuff like this, even though I get that many people are talking about his hold on the party, I'm reminded or what a bunch of y'all just said the other day:

On 7/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, LazyPiranha said:

Maybe the first sign Trump wasn’t bulletproof was when he lost his own reelection?  

On 7/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, finaljedi said:

Or maybe even when he lost the popular vote in his first election by 3 million votes

On 7/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, silentbob said:

. . . or when his son Eric was born

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

EDIT - To be clear, this is an indictment of both the Democratic Party as well as the structural system of the US government where it's impossible for the governing party to really govern

Sure doesn't seem to particularly hamper the Republicans when they have the presidency and both chambers. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Sure doesn't seem to particularly hamper the Republicans when they have the presidency and both chambers. 

That's because Republicans don't govern. Trump got exactly one big law signed. Democrats largely believe government has some role to play; Republicans don't. Republicans actually can thrive on dysfunction in government.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

That's because Republicans don't govern. Trump got exactly one big law signed.

They appointed a fuckton of judges, which the Democrats actively went along with, while the Democrats let the pace of Biden's nominations get bogged down by the Republicans.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

They appointed a fuckton of judges, which the Democrats actively went along with, while the Democrats let the pace of Biden's nominations get bogged down by the Republicans.

Democrats have already appointed good judges, and appointing a judge is much easier than a fucking law.

Trump appointed a lot of judges for a one term president; he did not appoint anywhere close to Clinton or Obama, and if you think Democrats should change the rules earlier, so do they (read Kill Switch).

The reason you think Republicans get what they want is because barely anything they do requires work. Think tanks give them a list of judges and they vote yes. He got one big law passed (which his poor reporters benefited zilch from), and that was AFTER an embarrassing defeat trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Also, how many Infrastructure Weeks were there under Trump? Biden and the Democrats are running circles around what Trump did, which was nothing.

gettyimages-1234321187.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Senate negotiators finished writing the 2,702-page bill Sunday.

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation released its analysis of the bill Monday and found its revenue provisions will raise $51 billion over 10 years.

Schumer has vowed that the Senate would remain in Washington until it passes the bipartisan infrastructure bill and a budget blueprint, which will allow Democrats to begin crafting a more sweeping $3.5 trillion proposal that includes Mr. Biden's plans for child care, health care, education, the environment and, potentially, immigration.

The latter measure will be passed using a process known as budget reconciliation, which allows it to clear the Senate without Republican support.

While Schumer has vowed to send both bills to the House in the coming days, the bipartisan plan could face headwinds in the lower chamber, where progressive lawmakers have raised concerns with some of its provisions.

This was a rare weekend session for the Senate.

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I love bipartisanship all of a sudden

I don't know much about IRS requirements, but let's take the crypto part out of this equation and pretend all this economic activity is about anything else. There probably isn't a great comparison to be made for mining, but I'd be perfectly fine if all crypto mining leaves the US. As for the rest of it, I would have to imagine that if you're holding, transferring, or facilitating the transfer of financial assets in the US you have certain IRS requirements. If this new broker definition makes all those activities far more burdensome for crypto brokers than for traditional brokers, that's probably not great. If it's more or less bringing things up to par (or at least moving in that direction), great.

As far as it being "impossible," that just doesn't scan. Yeah, the system is built to be pseudonymous, but you know what is perfectly anonymous? Cash. Yet somehow we still have IRS requirements for cash businesses. Sure, a lot of cash activity that should be reported isn't, and I imagine that is and will continue to be the case with crypto, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any requirements or that any requirements that do exist are some kind of 4th amendment violation (lol).

God I hate crypto people.

I was listening to NPR this morning talk about this bill and they continue to do the thing I really really hate, which is casually mention that the bill "needs 60 votes to pass."

THIS BILL DOES NOT REQUIRE 60 VOTES TO PASS THE SENATE. BASICALLY NOTHING ACTUALLY REQUIRES 60 VOTES. IT REQUIRES 60 VOTES TO OVERCOME THE OTHERWISE GUARANTEED FILIBUSTER. FRAMING IT AS A STANDARD PROCEDURE TO REQUIRE 60 VOTES AND FAILING TO MENTION THE FILIBUSTER IS A DISSERVICE.

Yes!

ap21219541137898.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

The Senate has moved closer to passing a $1 trillion infrastructure package after lawmakers from both parties came together and voted on Saturday to clear a key procedural hurdle.

"The measure would provide a massive injection of federal money for a range of public works programs, from roads and bridges to broadband internet access, drinking water and others. In a rare stroke of bipartisanship, Republicans joined Democrats during the weekend session to overcome the 60-vote threshold needed to advance the measure toward final votes. The vote was 67-27."