Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

5 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

But what if a gas plant replaced a coal plant? Genuine question because I'm way too busy to look it up on Wikipedia myself. 

I think that falls into the 'it's better, but still not great.'

The TVA is doing that in a few places. But other power companies are doing shit like replacing nuclear plants with gas power plants. Which is a step back. 

And part of the reason that there's such fights over pipelines and other carbon infrastructure is that companies (who hold enormous power) will want to ensure that this infrastructure turns a profit. Every MW from a coal conversion to NG is a MW that we aren't getting from zero carbon sources, and locks in another 30-50 years of carbon emissions.

The absolute value of carbon emitted is more important than the relative amount given how carbon intensive our economy is

• Thanks 1

US government (and more importantly, society) isn't structured for massive, public-good projects. Too much emphasis on individual rights/gain. Oh, you want to build through my backyard? Sure, try using eminent domain, I'll tie it up in courts for a decade to get 200% more in compensation. Obviously the extreme opposite end isn't good (China just doing whatever it wants with people and property), but without a consistent, efficient way to use land for the public good, you can't have nice things.

Environmental impact studies and multiple veto points at every stage of the design and build process are big problems. So is the reliance of governments on contractors; instead of building expertise and Building institutional knowledge it is exported to rent seeking profit driven enterprises

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Environmental impact studies and multiple veto points at every stage of the design and build process are big problems. So is the reliance of governments on contractors; instead of building expertise and Building institutional knowledge it is exported to rent seeking profit driven enterprises

Always gotta go with the lowest bidder, even if the bid is blatantly unrealistic and the bidder has a history of going over.