Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

210702-biden-infrastructure-mb-2057.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Democratic Reps. Matt Cartwright and Susan Wild are top GOP targets. Their political future could hinge on the success of President Joe Biden's infrastructure package.

Crux is how these bills play in Pennsylvania. Republicans will talk inflation stuff, whereas Democrats will talk about jobs and infrastructure.

They're likely starting this the week of July 19th as Sanders puts the finishing touches on the budget.

gettyimages-1233754399-1-1.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Moderates and liberals are still arguing over scope and size as a pivotal Senate vote draws closer.

After three months of plodding negotiations, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has laid out an aggressive timetable that envisions passage of both a budget resolution to allow a huge Democrats-only tax and spending package plus a vote on a deal with Republican centrists to plow nearly $600 billion into roads, bridges and broadband. Schumer will reiterate the timetable in a Dear Colleague letter to Democrats on Friday, according to a Democratic aide, and warn of the possibility of working long nights, weekends and into the August recess to finish that work.

Every Democrat knows that the partisan legislation could be this year’s last big train to which they can hitch their long-sought priorities, and demand is high. Budget Chair Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) wants Medicare expansion, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) is pressing for immigration reform and Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) is pushing her colleagues on child care spending. A whole slate of progressives want a major climate focus. And there will be restraints on spending from moderates and from the Senate parliamentarian on what can pass muster and avoid a GOP filibuster.

While Sanders initially suggested spending $6 trillion to complement the bipartisan deal, more moderate members are likely to tamp that down to $4 trillion or even lower — depending in large part what moderate Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) agree to. Asked if she had a number in mind, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) replied: "Yeah, $6 trillion."

Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), who has already declared he will vote against the House’s budget resolution, said “it's time to stop” spending after the massive Covid package. At the moment, House leaders can only afford to lose a couple more Democrats.

"When I was talking to the White House legislative team the other day, they said, 'Oh, I bet you lie awake at night counting dollars on this,'" Yarmuth said. "I said, 'No, I lie awake counting votes.'"

Love that Sanders has this power. The fact that "moderates" are "likely to tamp that down to $4 trillion or even lower" shows what starting high actually fucking does.

There's high "DEMS IN DISARRAY" energy in here to make it sound more dramatic, but I think it's a good overview regardless.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These packages only seem so big because we've gone years deferring spending on things that need to get done.

That said,

Well said on the bold. The number is high because we haven't done shit.

I'm gonna hold off congratulating Biden until everything is finished (because I'm sure he's waiting for my specific approval), but his strategy with the two bills has seemed very promising, especially since Manchin even says the reconciliation bill is inevitable.

If he gets both, that will be a big deal. Hope this happens.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These packages only seem so big because we've gone years deferring spending on things that need to get done.

Honestly this.

We’ve got a jobs problem and we’ve got infrastructure and inspection problems. The fact that we don’t have the political will to turn that into a peanut butter cup is depressing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CayceG said:

Won't some states just refuse to use these funds, though? Tennessee did that with Obamacare's medicaid expansion.

As a side note from what bm said, Medicaid expansion ended up being popular enough that plenty of Republican governors ended up supporting it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I can't wait to see the ways this will be stupid, but right now I'm gonna be positive and say this is a good thing

Ugh, stop calling it Eldercare. It's funding to eliminate Medicaid HCBS waiting lists which have 800,000+ people on them, mostly people with disabilities. 

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

Won't some states just refuse to use these funds, though? Tennessee did that with Obamacare's medicaid expansion.

This is actually possible with the Medicaid HCBS component since States would have to accept. The ACA had an HCBS component which only 7 states accepted. 

• b_m_b_m_b_m changed the title to Infrastructure week--and Dem only big budget bill (now at $3.5T)