Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Biden has been at this for weeks the GOP is just being a bunch of babies making a fuss for the sake of doing so (which is about their best play right now)

If McConnell tells them to simp, they’ll simp, it’s that simple.

GettyImages-1230841855-804x536.jpg
TALKINGPOINTSMEMO.COM

White House Brushes Off GOP’s Fake Tears Over Infrastructure Hardball: Take It Or Leave It!

“It is up to Republicans … to decide if they are going to vote against a historic investment in infrastructure that’s going to rebuild roads and railways and bridges in their communities simply because they don’t like the mechanics of the process,” the White House official said.

“That’s a pretty absurd argument for them to make,” she added. “Good luck on the political front on that argument.”

Psaki’s remarks signaled that the Biden administration would keep playing hardball with GOP senators, who had bet that a watered-down bipartisan proposal would keep moderate Democrats from agreeing to a reconciliation bill containing much more progressive priorities.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

In other developments, water is wet.

Republicans aren't thinking strategically here.  If they were smart, they would fully support the infrastructure bill, but let the Dems pass the reconciliation bill along party lines, so that way the GOP can campaign against the reconciliation bill in 2022.  

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Republicans aren't thinking strategically here.  If they were smart, they would fully support the infrastructure bill, but let the Dems pass the reconciliation bill along party lines, so that way the GOP can campaign against the reconciliation bill in 2022.  

There's gonna be enough dust in the air that having two similar bills on similar topics will be confusing enough for the average person they might just think it's all bipartisan

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Why bother thinking strategically when obstructing is their brand, takes little to no effort, and keeps their asses in seats?

I understand Biden's desire to bring the GOP on board and get a bipartisan bill done. It's what he ran on, and I think it's important to him that he make every effort to cross the aisle.

I really don't like that the compromise bill seems to jettison two of the things that I think would be the most lasting day-to-day impacts of the original plan: electric car charging and internet infrastructure. I'm in favor of rail and transit, but right now charging stations are probably the single biggest issue with electric cars, and a massive investment into that infrastructure could dramatically change how quickly the US electrifies. It could possibly be the single most visible and impactful large scale infrastructure project since the highway system.

The internet stuff is less visible, but it might be even more crucial. The GOP has surrendered to lobbyists, and the Democrats haven't been fighting nearly hard enough on this issue, but I think the impacts will be long term if we don't get our infrastructure improved. As an anecdote, my brother just moved to TN and only a 30 min drive outside a major city he can't get any wired internet service. It's insane.

I really hope that the big plans Biden had on these issues either find their way back into this bill (with or without the GOP) or into any other bill that he'll pass under reconciliation.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I understand Biden's desire to bring the GOP on board and get a bipartisan bill done. It's what he ran on, and I think it's important to him that he make every effort to cross the aisle.

I really don't like that the compromise bill seems to jettison two of the things that I think would be the most lasting day-to-day impacts of the original plan: electric car charging and internet infrastructure. 

???

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

The modified proposal created by a bipartisan group of Senators is smaller than Biden's initial proposal but retains dramatic levels of spending to reduce carbon emissions from transportation.

"The modified infrastructure bill drafted by a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators and blessed by President Joe Biden is smaller than his initial proposal but retains dramatic levels of spending to cut carbon emissions from transportation, most notably by creating a network of charging stations across the country for battery-powered cars and trucks. "

Was there something else I missed?

Elsewhere on the Sunday political talk show circuit, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., told ABC's "This Week" that he believes the two-track approach — featuring both the bipartisan deal and a reconciliation package — will advance and said he looks forward to giving his input in that process as well. For that second package, Manchin said he would like to raise the corporate and capital gains tax rates to help pay for the additional spending.

"I’m willing to meet everybody halfway," he said. "If Republicans don’t want to make adjustments to a tax code which I think is weighted and unfair, then I’m willing to go reconciliation. That’s how you’re able to do it."

"But if they think in reconciliation I’m going to throw caution to the wind and go to $5 trillion or $6 trillion when we can only afford $1 trillion or $1.5 trillion or maybe $2 trillion and what we can pay for, then I can’t be there," he added.

screen-shot-2021-06-27-at-9-50-28-am.png
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

President Biden announced Thursday a deal on a $1 trillion infrastructure package had been reached.

"Where Democrats and Republicans can agree, we should agree, move on, create progress for the American people," Richmond said in an interview with "Face the Nation." "And where we don't agree, we can fight and we can fight hard. And that's what we expect to do on American Families Plan. But we also expect to win."

Senator Tester is confident in passage of the compromise bill.

SEN. TESTER: Look, JOHN, I think that possibility is going to be great. I think we're going to get a lot more than five more republicans. And I think we're also going to see bumps in the road as this goes forward through the process. You know, every week there's probably going to be another problem that arises. We'll work through those problems just like we work through them in our gang of 10 folks. And- and I think we'll get good support from both sides of the aisle. I think we'll get far more than 60 votes. In the end, we'll get this through the Senate.

He doesn't seem doubtful that there will be a big reconciliation bill.

JOHN DICKERSON: And on the Democratic side, there are a number of Democratic senators who said if it doesn't include the environmental provisions originally a part of the president's package, they're not going to vote for it. Do you think that is the kind of line in the sand people draw during these things and then in the end they vote with you? Or do you think this could be something that loses some Democratic senators on the way to passage?

SEN TESTER: Time- time will tell on that. JOHN, I think this package does have some environmental- environmental programs to it, environmental policies to it. Whether it's enough to- to satisfy the folks who are, you know, advocating for more and more things to be done in the environment, which, by the way, I don't think is something that is wrong either. This just- this is where we ended up at. And, you know, look, if we do- when we do a reconciliation package, depending on what that package looks like, you know, it certainly could have some environmental, additional environmental parts to it.

JOHN DICKERSON: Let me talk to you about that reconciliation package. This would be a big spending bill that would go- that would pass with Democratic votes only, presumably. A portion of that bill would likely be the president's clean electricity standard. As we talked about it, some of your colleagues, Senator Smith of Minnesota, has said she won't vote for a reconciliation package unless it has that standard which seeks to decarbonize the electricity by 2030, electric grid. You come from a state with a lot of coal production. Would you support the president's clean energy standard in a reconciliation bill that Senator Smith says is necessary to vote for it?

SEN. TESTER: Well, look, I do come from a state that has a lot of coal, natural gas, a lot of oil, and I also come from a state right now that is under severe drought. And so I think we need to make common sense- common sense steps forward to deal with climate. And there has to be a transition. Anybody will tell you that. You just can't shut off the spigot. You have to move forward in a commonsense way, so this economy continues to grow, but also deal with the climate issue. So, you know, that will be in the details, JOHN. We will take a look at it when it comes up. And if it is something that I can't live with, then we'll try to massage it through the process that we go through with reconciliation to amend and- and make it so that the whole country can live with them and actually expand our economy with it.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He's 100% not signing off on Bernie's $6 trillion plan that he'll unveil, but the fact that Manchin says the reconciliation bill is "inevitable" means we should expect both bills to pass in some form.

I mean Bernie's $6 trillion plan was always just a "let's shoot high and negotiate to something reasonable" instead of "let's shoot for something reasonable and nevertheless get negotiated down to something anemic" plan, right?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean Bernie's $6 trillion plan was always just a "let's shoot high and negotiate to something reasonable" instead of "let's shoot for something reasonable and nevertheless get negotiated down to something anemic" plan, right?

Yup.

Reading through this, one of the things I’m not sure about is if the average GOP senator or House member actually wants to be in the majority. Being the obstacle to Dem leadership is a real selling point in their fundraising and campaign efforts, and they can always just take credit for whatever stuff people like in a bill within their district by claiming something worse would have passed if they hadn’t held the Dems off from their real plans.

It is much more precarious to actually lead and not be held accountable by your constituents when they dislike how things are going.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Reading through this, one of the things I’m not sure about is if the average GOP senator or House member actually wants to be in the majority. Being the obstacle to Dem leadership is a real selling point in their fundraising and campaign efforts, and they can always just take credit for whatever stuff people like in a bill within their district by claiming something worse would have passed if they hadn’t held the Dems off from their real plans.

It is much more precarious to actually lead and not be held accountable by your constituents when they dislike how things are going.

It's exceedingly obvious that their only plan for the ACA was to send President Hillary repeal bills to veto for 4-8 years. They're the dog and they were as dumbfounded as everyone else when they caught the car.