Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

4 hours ago, Jason said:
60cb589d23393a00188e3b84?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Progressives have grown frustrated with Arizona Sen. Sinema, who has made headlines in recent months for posing roadblocks to Biden's agenda.

616b2eef41af0d00193efe41?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia raised $1.6 million in the third quarter, with over $400,000 coming from the oil and gas industry.

• Guillotine 1

The senator is less interested in the $225 billion to $450 billion paid family leave proposal or $400 billion for a new program to provide elder care, according to people familiar with the matter.

It's not a new program, it's funding to make an existing program functional, specifically putting a dent in the waiting lists that are 10 to 15 years long! Also, Media, stop calling it Eldercare. 

Joe-Biden-Michigan-Speech.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXBUSINESS.COM

President Biden is also making calls to many House Democrats Monday and will also go to Scranton Wednesday as he pushes for trillions in social and climate programs.

President Biden is meeting with separate groups of moderate and progressive House Democrats on Tuesday, as Democrats continue to reach for a deal on their massive reconciliation spending bill less than two weeks before their latest self-imposed deadline. 

"Tomorrow, he will host two difference meetings with House members here at the White House, one with moderates and one with progressive members," White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said of the president Monday. "We are encouraged by the accelerated pace of talks and are eager to get this done." 

Psaki also said Biden met with Progressive Caucus Chair Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., on Monday morning and that he has regularly been on the phone with "members who represent the full spectrum of views of Hill Democrats."

Psaki's optimistic tone comes despite what remain massive policy differences between moderates and progressives that will be extremely difficult to bridge if Democrats are to get all of their members behind a single bill.

Top Democrats are aiming to get an agreement at least on a framework for the reconciliation bill by Oct. 31 because that is when a temporary reauthorization of surface transportation programs expires. The idea is that if progressives are given assurances that a reconciliation bill that meets their demands will pass, they will halt their blockade of the infrastructure bill. 

• b_m_b_m_b_m changed the title to Infrastructure week--and Dem only big budget bill (now at $1.lolT)

Siri tell me how to actively remove people from the labor force via bad policy.

My wife would probably have to leave the labor force. It would be damn near her whole salary--as a teacher--to pay an extra $1000/month for daycare for our kid. Then I would need to pay more for shittier health insurance (currently get our family insurance through the district which is pretty good)

We wouldn't be the only ones! This would be a goddamn disaster for Democrats! Better nothing than actively increasing costs for people with young kids.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife would probably have to leave the labor force. It would be damn near her whole salary--as a teacher--to pay an extra $1000/month for daycare for our kid. Then I would need to pay more for shittier health insurance (currently get our family insurance through the district which is pretty good)

We wouldn't be the only ones! This would be a goddamn disaster for Democrats! Better nothing than actively increasing costs for people with young kids.

This all makes sense if Manchin (and Sinema probably) wants the GOP to retake Congress in 2022.

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Look, the US is a failed state. The sooner Americans accept this, the sooner the break up can begin and some people in good states (i.e. urban and coastal) can have better lives. The rest of the former US can then continue to spiral into the new world version of eastern Europe.

There is no version of a US breakup that doesn't destroy your country as well

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said: