JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

5 hours ago, johnny said:

ive lost a lot of respect for people ive seen get really into this stuff. either because they're stupid enough to be scammed or theyre the ones doing the scamming

I had a friend of mine try to convince me it wasn't a scam. After we were talking for a while he said how someone was paying him to speak at some conference trying to get old farty business dudes to have their businesses start their own NFTs, and I was like...

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I had a friend of mine try to convince me it wasn't a scam. After we were talking for a while he said how someone was paying him to speak at some conference trying to get old farty business dudes to have their businesses start their own NFTs, and I was like...

spacer.png

I hate that I'm not morally corrupt enough to enjoy the crypto or MAGA grift.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I hate that I'm not morally corrupt enough to enjoy the crypto or MAGA grift.

What bothers me is when I see established good artists actually trying hard to make nice looking NFT artwork. But people aren't buying them for the looks so it's upsetting they are putting so much effort in.

I on the other hand would consider doing it because my artwork isn't good and people aren't buying it based on the quality of work. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What bothers me is when I see established good artists actually trying hard to make nice looking NFT artwork. But people aren't buying them for the looks so it's upsetting they are putting so much effort in.

I on the other hand would consider doing it because my artwork isn't good and people aren't buying it based on the quality of work. :p

I haven't been an artist for almost twenty years. If I was less scrupulous, maybe I could scan some of my old work and NFT them.

Here's a quote with an interview with Diplo

What inspired you to buy a Bored Ape NFT?

They remind me of the stuff I collected as a kid, like Ninja Turtles. And it feels cool to have one — I can show it to Post Malone at a party, and he'll be like, "oh cool, you got that one?" It's kind of silly, but it's a flex — like buying a really nice outfit. Except the NFT is going to stay in my wallet forever.

4 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Just in the past few days I've started noticing that NFTs/crypto and "the metaverse" are seemingly starting to congeal into one giant scam. These people are going to start trying to sell you access to entirely fictional locations. Absolutely cursed.

This isn't quite the same thing, but it made me think of this Kelsey Mckinney article about immersive art exhibitions:

GettyImages-913328296.jpeg?resize=1080,6
DEFECTOR.COM

It is profitable to project a bunch of work by a beloved artist at giant scale and charge people $28 to see it. Capitalism does not breed innovation, but the duplication of a dozen versions of the...

Basically, museums or any large space will project famous paintings (all in public domain) on the walls, charge a big fee, and reel in an Instagram crowd. It's a similar concept--paying money to experience something that isn't quite real.

I had a bunch of students who went to a Michelangelo "exhibit" last year (and then turn in nearly identical essays :sick:). They all enjoyed it and seemed to learn something. And it's not like anyone was flying to Italy last year, so I guess it was the only way to come close to seeing the real thing. 

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't know what's worse, the design or the description.

Yeah, he's a real Frank Lloyd Wright...  What the world needs is for the trash house someone makes in Second Life mk II to become reality.  Web3/crypto enthusiasts are literally the worst people on earth, no exceptions.