Disney outlines plans for Fox assets and new streaming services

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disneys-profit-rises-23-but-its-costs-climb-too-1533677299

Three streaming services:

• Disneyflix - Family
  • Hulu - Adult
  • ESPN+ - Sports

Possible bundles for people who want all three. Disneyflix (or whatever it will be called) will be quite cheap to start, "substantially lower than Netflix." No word if Hulu will actually come to Canada (or Disneyflix).

Plans for Fox assets:

• Fox Searchlight - Work exclusively on original TV series and movies for streaming services
  • Fox Film Studio - Work on blockbuster films exclusively for theatres, including X-Men films and Avatar
  • Fox TV Studio - Work on adult-oriented TV shows for FX and Hulu

What worries me is the mention that X-Men will stay at Fox, and not be folded into Marvel. I would assume that Marvel/Disney will still effectively be called the shots, in terms of fitting the X-Men and F4 into the MCU, much like they've done with Spider-Man w/Sony (although to a greater extent in this case, since they actually own Fox). It also sucks that Searchlight will focus on streaming stuff. I hope they try to focus on quality, and not just make Netflix-level stuff.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Keep the MCU and X-Men universes separate, please. The MCU is already bursting at the seams, and the X-Men movie hit rate is MUCH MUCH worse than the MCU’s.

I'd be fine with them being in the same universe.  They don't have to be tackling the same problems like they do across the Avengers' team members' films.  Maybe some vaguely related easter egg stuff and that's it.  Sort of how like Agents of SHIELD does it.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Keep the MCU and X-Men universes separate, please. The MCU is already bursting at the seams, and the X-Men movie hit rate is MUCH MUCH worse than the MCU’s.

X-Men has a lower hit rate because Fox doesn't know what it's doing with them.

That said, I don't think Marvel needs to keep them completely separate. They also don't have to completely merge the universes. I'd actually prefer they keep X-Men in the Logan/Deadpool vein and focus those characters on the more R-rated, not exactly family-friendly, universes. They can then pick and choose specific characters to bring over into the MCU. I'd love to see Storm brought over and have her team up with Black Panther, for instance.

I agree that the X-Men don't really need to be rolled into the MCU fully (in terms of being a part of the Avengers movies, etc), but I think them being in the same universe is a good thing, and the occasional cross-over would be fine (much like the comics). The FF4 fit much better in the MCU though, I think. Having said that, I don't think the X-Men deserve their own universe. Have an X-Men series, the Deadpool series, and maybe X-Force (though honestly just keeping them in Deadpool 3 would be great). We don't need spinoffs for X-Factor, New Mutants, or any individual characters. In fact, I'd even sit out Wolverine for the first new X-Men movie. Just focus on the original 5 from the 60s.

I distinctly don’t want X-men in the MCU. Maybe they could do it in a compelling way, but I think what makes X-men tick is that the mutants are a disruptive force in society. In the MCU, they wouldn’t be, and so the social ramifications wouldn’t work the same way. So while maybe they can find a way to pull it off in an interesting way, I think they would work better in their own universe (plus Deadpool)

12 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I don’t see how adding X-Men to the algorithm that creates MCU movies would make them any worse

I don’t think that adding X-Men to the MCU would make the movies worse.

But if the X-Men had been there all along, I DON’T think we’d have gotten films like the Guardians flicks, the Thors, Ant-Mans, etc. I also don’t know that it’s likely we’d have gotten stuff like Logan, either, if Wolverine had to exist within a greater continuity.

I know, other than Logan or Guardians, those films tend not to be people’s MCU’s favorites. But I’d miss some of the minor characters getting their own stuff in favor of the bigger hitters. But this is all speculation, so... who knows.

10 minutes ago, legend said:

I distinctly don’t want X-men in the MCU. Maybe they could do it in a compelling way, but I think what makes X-men tick is that the mutants are a disruptive force in society. In the MCU, they wouldn’t be, and so the social ramifications wouldn’t work the same way. So while maybe they can find a way to pull it off in an interesting way, I think they would work better in their own universe (plus Deadpool)

This man gets it. The central struggle of the X-men will always been mutants ”invading” the world of normal people...which doesn’t make as much sense in a world of super powered people and literal aliens.

That's true...but the X-Men comics also exist in the same world as Avengers, etc. The trick with the MCU would be to show that it's not responsible adults like Steve Rogers with powers, it's random kids all over the world, and some arnen't using them for good. It's one thing to have a Spider-Man, it's another to have 500 Spider-Men everywhere. Unfortunately the biggest story they could use in terms of society vs mutants (mutant registration) was already used with the Civil War story line with the Avengers.

I didn't know Hulu was a Disney product.

So Disney has or will have Disney animation, Pixar, Star Wars, all that Lucas stuff, a bunch of theme parks, Marvel, 20th Century Fox, ABC, ESPN, Hulu, a Disney streaming service, the Muppets, and Cars merchandise. Shit.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't know Hulu was a Disney product.

So Disney has or will have Disney animation, Pixar, Star Wars, all that Lucas stuff, a bunch of theme parks, Marvel, 20th Century Fox, ABC, ESPN, Hulu, a Disney streaming service, and Cars merchandise. Shit.

Fox had a major share in Hulu. So Disney owns Hulu as a result of the purchase of Fox.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This man gets it. The central struggle of the X-men will always been mutants ”invading” the world of normal people...which doesn’t make as much sense in a world of super powered people and literal aliens.

Yet Marvel seemed to be able to make it work in the comics (you know where all these ideas were actually born from) for over 50 years. They could definitely make it work especially if they tie in the appearance of Mutants as somehow being a result of Alien activity in the MCU (or however they try to explain the appearance of mutants) There's definitely room in the MCU for mutants.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's true...but the X-Men comics also exist in the same world as Avengers, etc. The trick with the MCU would be to show that it's not responsible adults like Steve Rogers with powers, it's random kids all over the world, and some arnen't using them for good. It's one thing to have a Spider-Man, it's another to have 500 Spider-Men everywhere. Unfortunately the biggest story they could use in terms of society vs mutants (mutant registration) was already used with the Civil War story line with the Avengers.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yet Marvel seemed to be able to make it work in the comics (you know where all these ideas were actually born from) for over 50 years. They could definitely make it work especially if they tie in the appearance of Mutants as somehow being a result of Alien activity in the MCU (or however they try to explain the appearance of mutants) There's definitely room in the MCU for mutants.

Different mediums allow different ways to tell stories. What works fine in comic books doesn’t necessarily translate to cinema. I don’t think it’s impossible to bring X-men into the MCU, I think it creates different and overall less compelling stories. Different strokes.

I enjoyed having 3 distinct comic book movie universes (MCU, DCEU, and X-men/Deadpool). It provided variety, and even though X-Men doesn't always stick the landing, they swing for the fences every time and when they connect, they connect. X2, First Class, Days of Future Past, Logan, Deadpool...these are all fantastic films with a distinctly different flavor from MCU or DC. 

Now we will have 2 corporations deciding our content instead of 3. I know the MCU will do a great job with X-Men & FF, but it will still be more of the same (a great "same", but still more of it). Fox was doing the more R-Rated or close to it stuff, DC has been doing the darker toned stuff, MCU does the more standard hero stuff. And we just lost a third of that. So I'm kinda disappointed, in that regard. Competition is good, and the competition just got lighter for everyone. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Three streaming services? Good luck with that. 

I think you’re underestimating the psychological impact of not having one $175 cable bill in favor of a $100 internet bill and 6 $20 streaming bills that don’t all come in at the same time. Sure, some people will do the math, but... eh.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Different mediums allow different ways to tell stories. What works fine in comic books doesn’t necessarily translate to cinema. I don’t think it’s impossible to bring X-men into the MCU, I think it creates different and overall less compelling stories. Different strokes.

Based on what exactly? Marvel has already combined Extraterrestrial, Supernatural and mythological elements in their shared universe... a feat that a lot of folks didnt think was possible. Why would we think they wouldn't be able to incorporate mutants in to their shared universe especially when there's decades of precedent? The evidence in front of us would say otherwise especially since Fox's Xmen universe has already introduced time travel and will be introducing both extraterrestrial elements and Supernatural elements in upcoming films.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Based on what exactly? Marvel has already combined Extraterrestrial, Supernatural and mythological elements in their shared universe... a feat that a lot of folks didnt think was possible. Why would we think they wouldn't be able to incorporate mutants in to their shared universe especially when there's decades of precedent? The evidence in front of us would say otherwise especially since Fox's Xmen universe has already introduced time travel and will be introducing both extraterrestrial elements and Supernatural elements in upcoming films.

1. read literally the rest of the sentence before where you bolded.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

1. read literally the rest of the sentence before where you bolded.

Reiterating the same point you made before isnt answering the question. You said you felt like it would make for less compelling stories.  I asked why and based on  what, meaning I wanted you to elaborate your point. If you chose not to do so cool.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Personally I find the way that comics handle this to be inelegant at best. The public hates and fear mutants but is fine with non-mutant superhumans because... reasons? Johnny Storm was enhanced by cosmic rays as a teenager and is beloved while a rando X-Man with a mutation at birth who didn’t manifest their powers until the same age Johnny went into space is hated and feared? 

Each comic has to sail on its own wind so I don’t actually begrudge the writers for handling it the way they do, but mainstream comics handle this by ignoring or or getting cute once in a while when they’re doing a crossover. 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Personally I find the way that comics handle this to be inelegant at best. The public hates and fear mutants but is fine with non-mutant superhumans because... reasons? Johnny Storm was enhanced by cosmic rays as a teenager and is beloved while a rando X-Man with a mutation at birth who didn’t manifest their powers until the same age Johnny went into space is hated and feared? 

Each comic has to sail on its own wind so I don’t actually begrudge the writers for handling it the way they do, but mainstream comics handle this by ignoring or or getting cute once in a while when they’re doing a crossover. 

Actually no... The X-men used to tackle this issue regularly during Chris Claremont's classic run and used to ask the question all the time why The Fantastic Four and the Avengers were treated as heroes and celebrities while the Xmen were treated as 2nd hand citizens and pariahs even though they did the same thing. Mutant Hysteria. like real life racism, made very little sense once you got down to it but that's the point of racism. This issue wasn't ignored when I was reading Xmen comics but I haven't touched an X book in at least five years or so so I have no idea how they handle it now. Shit, Spiderman was even accused of being a mutant because no one knew WHAT he was under the mask. In the classic Marvel U, there was a difference between how citizens treated known, non-mutant super powered people and Mutants and that was based a lot on the Mutant hysteria that folks like Magneto initially fed into.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Reiterating the same point you made before isnt answering the question. You said you felt like it would make for less compelling stories.  I asked why and based on  what, meaning I wanted you to elaborate your point. If you chose not to do so cool.

Your post didn’t read to me as asking to

elaborate, but I’m not even sure what needs elaboration? I don’t think the central conflict of mutants in a world of normal humans makes as much sense in a world

with other supers and advanced alien species. Even within th realm of the X-men movies, ridiculously overpowered mutants like Apacalypse make for far less interesting narratives than the more grounded plot lines. 

But I quoted my previous post because you created created an argument I didn’t make with your “why would we think...” line. I don’t think Marvel would have any problem doing X-Men directly in the MCU, I simply don’t like the kind of stories they would end up having to tell in that universe compared to what they can in their own universe.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Actually no... The X-men used to tackle this issue regularly during Chris Claremont's classic run and used to ask the question all the time why The Fantastic Four and the Avengers were treated as heroes and celebrities while the Xmen were treated as 2nd hand citizens and pariahs even though they did the same thing. Mutant Hysteria. like real life racism, made very little sense once you got down to it but that's the point of racism. This issue wasn't ignored when I was reading Xmen comics but I haven't touched an X book in at least five years or so so I have no idea how they handle it now. Shit, Spiderman was even accused of being a mutant because no one knew WHAT he was under the mask. In the classic Marvel U, there was a difference between how citizens treated known, non-mutant super powered people and Mutants and that was based a lot on the Mutant hysteria that folks like Magneto initially fed into.

I think the fact that this has been touched on well a few times by a few writers over half a century’s worth of continuity kind of makes my point for me. :p

More seriously, I get that those stories are told, but they’re a side show compared to how the books normally roll. Which is fine, I think I’d rather die than try to balance a Marvel’s or a DC’s worth of continuity in favor of having individually rad books and arcs. I’m at the point in my life where the whole concepts of continuity and consistency in a comics universe is the most boring thing imaginable. But that’s some people’s favorite thing about comics I’m not saying it’s good or bad or that I’m right and they’re wrong, the “big picture” just doesn’t register to me as interesting. It’s why I like Homecoming and Ragnarok more than Infinity War, even though I like that, too.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You and pretty much every other comic movie fan... that said, I'd settle for just the Fantastic Four.

Doctor Doom is the only good thing about the Fantastic Four. Have they had an interesting story since the original Galactus arc? Only 43% joking. :p

39 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think the fact that this has been touched on well a few times by a few writers over half a century’s worth of continuity kind of makes my point for me. :p

More seriously, I get that those stories are told, but they’re a side show compared to how the books normally roll. Which is fine, I think I’d rather die than try to balance a Marvel’s or a DC’s worth of continuity in favor of having individually rad books and arcs. I’m at the point in my life where the whole concepts of continuity and consistency in a comics universe is the most boring thing imaginable. But that’s some people’s favorite thing about comics I’m not saying it’s good or bad or that I’m right and they’re wrong, the “big picture” just doesn’t register to me as interesting. It’s why I like Homecoming and Ragnarok more than Infinity War, even though I like that, too.

Doctor Doom is the only good thing about the Fantastic Four. Have they had an interesting story since the original Galactus arc? Only 43% joking. :p

Yeah I never said it was touched on "a few times"... a gave you a few examples. it was a consistent thing when I was reading X-books actively... I can't speak to what's going on now with those books because I haven't read them, but it was always a thing that was present in the comics when I read them. Others who are long time readers can back me up here. And YES, The FF have had other good runs outside of the original Galactus Arc... John Byrne's run is a classic and so was Jonathan Hickman's run more recently which led into the Secret War event.  

8 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Huh I thought NBC owned all of Hulu. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu

Hulu (stylized as hulu /ˈhuːluː/) is an American entertainment company that provides over-the-top media services[8] owned by Hulu LLC, a joint venture with The Walt Disney Company (through Disney Direct-to-Consumer and International)[9] (30%), 21st Century Fox (30%), Comcast (through NBCUniversal) (30%),[note 1] and AT&T (through WarnerMedia) (10%).[2] Through a proposed acquisition announced in December 2017, Disney will acquire Fox's partial ownership, giving it a majority stake if the deal closes.[10]

So no NBC doesn't own all of Hulu and has never owned all of Hulu.