Pokémon OT - Gotta Catch 'Em All

Pikachu

Legends is cool in concept, and on better hardware might interest me, but damn the switch is showing its age. The longer it goes on, the more jaggies and low res textures bother me in 2021. We really, really need a Switch Pro. Preferably console only, leave the regular switch for those who enjoy handheld. 

That Legends Arceus looks interesting. 

Guys, I know it looks rough with the poor framerate and all, but it's still a year away. Going all "we need a Switch Pro, the normal Switch is showing its age" is silly. Given that it's a Pokémon game it might still not look great after Sword and Shield showed the team's lack of prowess, but even still judging an early build as if it's complete and that is what the final game will look like is stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

That Legends Arceus looks interesting. 

Guys, I know it looks rough with the poor framerate and all, but it's still a year away. Going all "we need a Switch Pro, the normal Switch is showing its age" is silly. Given that it's a Pokémon game it might still not look great after Sword and Shield showed the team's lack of prowess, but even still judging an early build as if it's complete and that is what the final game will look like is stupid. 

Man, we need a switch pro, period. Its been stuttering even with Nintendo games since day one, right out of the box. The textures are extremely low rez. Its just time. It's 4 years old in a week, and was nothing special technically back then.

Man, we need a switch pro, period. Its been stuttering even with Nintendo games since day one, right out of the box. The textures are extremely low rez. Its just time. It's 4 years old in a week, and was nothing special technically back then.Man, we need a switch pro, period. Its been stuttering even with Nintendo games since day one, right out of the box. The textures are extremely low rez. Its just time. It's 4 years old in a week, and was nothing special technically back then.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Man, we need a switch pro, period. Its been stuttering even with Nintendo games since day one, right out of the box. The textures are extremely low rez. Its just time. It's 4 years old in a week, and was nothing special technically back then.Man, we need a switch pro, period. Its been stuttering even with Nintendo games since day one, right out of the box. The textures are extremely low rez. Its just time. It's 4 years old in a week, and was nothing special technically back then.

Thats what I said. :duckhuntdog:

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That open world game is closer to what I was always wanting out of a Pokémon game - I think the formula they have going is incredibly stale and was maybe never all that good? 

But I also don’t have faith they’ll pull the open world game off. 

Legends looked pretty empty to me. Of course its still a year out.

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Ctrl + shift + v when you copy pasta, please 

What are they doing with that Legends game?!? They better not try and make this a “Breath of the Pika” or something. They already went too “free roam” starting with X and Y. This looks too much like...well, most other games out there. That’s not what (for me) makes this franchise what it is. I enjoy the games because of their relative simplicity. Old school, grid-based gameplay and turn-based RPG battles. So few games are doing that anymore! Don’t take that core experience from Pokémon too! 

Blah.

Much more interested in the remakes since they seem much more loyal to the original design. Which I prefer. Too many people are so quick to jump on the “open world” bandwagon and...I can’t get excited about that. That kind of “freedom” is what has kept me from playing Breath of the Wild. I love the Zelda series, but it changed too much for me and I can’t get interested in it now. 

I hope that doesn’t happen with Pokémon too.

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What are they doing with that Legends game?!? They better not try and make this a “Breath of the Pika” or something. They already went too “free roam” starting with X and Y. This looks too much like...well, most other games out there. That’s not what (for me) makes this franchise what it is. I enjoy the games because of their relative simplicity. Old school, grid-based gameplay and turn-based RPG battles. So few games are doing that anymore! Don’t take that core experience from Pokémon too! 

Blah.

Much more interested in the remakes since they seem much more loyal to the original design. Which I prefer. Too many people are so quick to jump on the “open world” bandwagon and...I can’t get excited about that. That kind of “freedom” is what has kept me from playing Breath of the Wild. I love the Zelda series, but it changed too much for me and I can’t get interested in it now. 

I hope that doesn’t happen with Pokémon too.

Dude, the Pokémon games are stale. This is exactly what fans have been asking for for a very long time.

Its not "jumping on the open world bandwagon", its innovation and moving the genre forward.

I suggest you sit down and play BotW, because it's brilliant.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

😕

I mean don’t get me wrong I’ve played them all. And had fun. Lol. Just saying the more “open world” they become the less I have enjoyed them.  The DS and 3DS had some good ones. But the Gameboy Pokémon were my favorites. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, the Pokémon games are stale. This is exactly what fans have been asking for for a very long time.

Its not "jumping on the open world bandwagon", its innovation and moving the genre forward.

I suggest you sit down and play BotW, because it's brilliant.

Very stale. Sword and Shield are the first generation I've ever skipped. With the amount of revenue this franchise makes they have the money to spend to really take a giant leap forward. It's either the team isn't talented enough to do so, or they don't care enough to in fear of changing things too much or just because why bother spending so much more when the games will sell crazy regardless. Mind you Pokémon games have never been super good looking with regards to the device they were on, and the team is obviously more used to handheld platforms, but man did this gen just look bad. I have to suspect that it started as a 3DS game before they knew about the Switch. 

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Aren't all of them open world technically? Just the old ones were overhead perspective like the old GTA games. Now they have the technology to see at least 10 feet in front of the player!

That's a pretty big technicality. Unless this has changed in more recent generations, you're pretty much on a set route through the world. Once you get toward the end, the entire region is an "open world" that you can explore, I guess. They are pretty linear games that don't include a lot of what "open world game" usually suggests. 

If anything, they're closer to Metroidvania. 

• 2 months later...

I bought Shield, which is the first game I’ve played since Red back in the day, and it’s comical how little the formula has evolved over the past two decades. Besides some small exceptions (like camping and the free roam area), the design and structure is almost completely the same. Thankfully I bought it more for my partner, so I don’t really care (and she doesn’t play many games, so she’s having a blast), but now I see why so many like Xbob have bemoaned it over the years. It’s basically the same fucking game, but in 3D. 

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I bought Shield, which is the first game I’ve played since Red back in the day, and it’s comical how little the formula has evolved over the past two decades. Besides some small exceptions (like camping and the free roam area), the design and structure is almost completely the same. Thankfully I bought it more for my partner, so I don’t really care (and she doesn’t play many games, so she’s having a blast), but now I see why so many like Xbob have bemoaned it over the years. It’s basically the same fucking game, but in 3D. 

It's a shame, too. I still enjoy the part where I collect Pokemon and challenge gym leaders and all that, but there's so much more they could do with the combat without having to lose what makes the series good. That four move limit being removed would be a good start. They don't need Final Fantasy level skill lists but a few more options would be so much better. I'm gonna stop myself before I type up 15 paragraphs because I know it ain't gonna change any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The ones on the 3DS were the same but in 3D. This one is the same but in 3D on a console! :p

On 5/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, Chris- said:

I mean...it’s a sequel. It’s gonna play the same. I mean, obviously?!

Gonna complain how Dragon Quest plays the same for over three decades, next? Or nearly any long-running franchise, ever made?

What a weird complaint.

Gonna complain how Dragon Quest plays the same for over three decades, next? Or nearly any long-running franchise, ever made?

What a weird complaint.

I’ve never played a Dragon Quest game, so no. And I fail to see how it is weird to hope that a franchise has changed over literal decades. 

What a weird complaint.

God of War PS4 was a massive change to the franchise. 

You can make something feel the same while changing the formula. Mortal Kombat games for instance are changed a lot per version (for better or worse) though the whole idea of the game is the same.

Pokemon is basically a reskin of the same game every time. The game could have a ton of quality of life improvements or gameplay innovations but it stays the same for the most part.

I think there's a happy medium being changing each game WAY too much (Final Fantasy over the last 20 years) or not changing it enough (Pokemon). Dragon Quest is more towards the Pokemon side of things, but they do still manage to add like one little tweak here and there to make it slightly more interesting. Pokemon, like @Keyser_Soze said, is literally just the same game over and over again. The only thing they've done since the original is add new types while making the game more tedious if you're looking to 100% it.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think there's a happy medium being changing each game WAY too much (Final Fantasy over the last 20 years) or not changing it enough (Pokemon). Dragon Quest is more towards the Pokemon side of things, but they do still manage to add like one little tweak here and there to make it slightly more interesting. Pokemon, like @Keyser_Soze said, is literally just the same game over and over again. The only thing they've done since the original is add new types while making the game more tedious if you're looking to 100% it.

Ehhhh...the only thing Dragon Quest has added is no random battles and a being able to pointlessly run around in battle. Nothing else has changed other than updates to the graphics.

I love both it and Pokemon, but they're both the top examples of games that don't play any differently than they did thirty years ago. The biggest and only real gameplay change either of them has introduced is ditching random battles.

Another thing to consider with the Dragon Quest comparison is that we are, what, 8-9 generations into Pokémon? In that time, there have only been 4 main, numbered DQ games, and one of them was an MMO. When DQ XI came out, it felt kinda fresh despite being a really standard JRPG, since the last directly comparable entry in the series (VIII) had come out over a decade earlier. 

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I'm not a fucking gorilla, I can't do the same thing over and over for 30 years and not get sick of it. Here's a long-running franchise that hasn't remained the same: Super fucking Mario.

EVOLVE GODDAMMIT.