Torchlight III (13 October 2020) OT - Your Legend Awaits, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

10 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

• The game will no longer be free to play
  • There will not be a real money shop (as far as I can tell - they're taking it out with their next build)
  • There will be both and online and offline modes, so no internet connection will be required
  • It's being moved onto Steam so you can buy it there (eventually)

I'm 100% OK with this.

More details:

Alongside these changes to business model and distribution method, naturally there are many other exciting changes coming to Torchlight III.

• The game now follows the classic Act structure from previous titles. Players start at the Imperial Outpost besieged by goblin hordes. They then follow the trail of nether corruption into lands overtaken by Hyvid and finally reach the [redacted] Peaks and their cavernous underplaces ruled by the electrifying [redacted]
  • Horizontal progression has been removed, so all Frontier-specific levels, gear stats, and scaling has been removed as well. We are returning our progression systems to better work in tandem with this.
  • Most zones are now private by default to give a better play experience. Players can still meet each other in public town levels and form parties to play together in instanced combat zones.
  • When creating your character, you can now select Online or Offline Mode. Characters made in Offline Mode do not require an internet connection to play, but will also not be able to participate in multiplayer games.
  • We have removed the in-game real-money store.

While this is a huge sea change for Torchlight III, most of what our current players know about the game is still true: 

• We will continue developing the game with constant feedback from our community through Closed Alpha (and soon Beta!) testing.
  • We will continue releasing updates over the course of testing. Update 10 is coming Wednesday, January 29 at 10am PT. and brings the complete refactor into linear Acts, a third Frontier area, a fourth playable class, and a whole bunch of other new features and content.
  • We plan to release the game on PC in 2020 with a console release following shortly after.
  • We will continue to support the game with ongoing content updates post-launch. 
  • The classes, game content, features and collectibles that have been shown in Closed Alpha will all stay in the game.

From: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/Torchlight_3/news/detail/11350673-announcing-torchlight-iii

I'm thrilled about all of this. But I'm most excited to hear that they are getting rid of Horizontal Progression. It made the game too boring.

Very happy to see they are going back to a traditional system.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Anybody in the early access? Previews are saying it's decent but not amazing. I'm wondering exactly what their expectations are for a Torchlight sequel. All i'm expecting is... Torchlight. I really don't know what else can be done with the genre.

It was mostly negative when it first dropped on steam, but it looks like it crawled its way back to Mixed. I stayed away from it, but I hope it gets it together as I'm generally a fan of the series.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Torchlight III - Information Thread, update: 13 October 2020 release announced
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Torchlight III (13 October 2020) OT - Your Legend Awaits
15 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This game, why does it exist? I think they did all they could with number II. 

Because there isn't a ton of people making good Diablo clones? Sometimes people just want a new arpg they can play through. There are plenty of other games I could question their existence like another battle royale or shlooter right now. 

Game Information

Game Title: Torchlight III

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 13, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 13, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 13, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Oct 13, 2020)

Developer: Echtra Inc.

Publisher: Perfect World Entertainment

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 66 average - 13% recommended

Critic Reviews

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

If you are new to the Torchlight franchise then Torchlight III is an excellent jumping on point. At $30 it's a great binge game to play with friends while we all wait on the next-gen onslaught that's just around the corner. But, if you're a hardcore ARPG fan looking for something deeper then you may be better served elsewhere, namely by Torchlight II.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

A simple and no-frills action/RPG that ticks all the boxes, so you can keep clicking the monsters.

Critical Hit - 7.5 / 10

Torchlight 3 will scratch any basic RPG itch for adventure, loot, and fantasy, but even with a heckin' doggo sidekick at its side, it feels a bit too old-fashioned to stand out from the rest of the pack.

Noisy Pixel - 7.5 / 10

Torchlight III is a great entry in the series as it doesn’t explicitly try to be exactly like its predecessors. Instead, it attempts to do new things using classes and relics to personalize the adventure along with a few accessible leveling systems and skill trees. It all works for the most part, but it’s a design that doesn’t allow for the deepest amount of customization. Sure, building a fort and collecting loot with my friends is fun, but there has to be some balance and short term goals that make each level up and new area discovered worth it.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

Overall, I have to say Torchlight III is in an ok-ish place right now. Torchlight III has the potential to be a great ARPG like Diablo III or Path of Exile, but right now it does need a bit more polish.

GameSpace - 7 / 10

Developer Echtra Games and publisher Perfect World Entertainment have released Torchlight III. The game has a lot going for it, from its stylized graphics to the overall feel of combat. But it is currently missing a spark that the previous two entries in the series captured.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Torchlight III doesn't bring anything new to the looter dungeon crawler and that's okay.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Though the experience is hampered by bugs, glitches, and a few design issues, the snappy and moreish combat, the treasure trove of stats and skills, and the delightfully chaotic co-op play make Torchlight 3 a must-have for anyone looking for more ARPG goodness.

COGconnected - 68 / 100

Torchlight is a beloved dungeon-crawler that has carved out a place in the competitive genre. With a bright art style and story, it stands apart from its edgier cousins like Diablo and Path of Exile. The good news is that Torchlight 3 carries that torch very well, however, there is a regrettable shallowness to the game that fails to live up to its predecessors… and much of the answer seems to lie within the development of the game.

PlayStation Universe - 6.5 / 10

Torchlight 3 offers a solid foundation of ARPG goodness, but the balance of loot drops and progression feel off to the point where long sections of the game feel interminable. When everything is clicking, players can destroy waves of bad guys with the best of them – but expect an ebb and flow to the good times.

Wccftech - 6.5 / 10

Everything Torchlight III does, it does worse than one of its contemporaries. Primarily Diablo. While what is here looks good and plays fine, it's repetitive and lacks the magic of games it shares a genre with. But all of that could've been forgiven if it had at least allowed me to suffer through it with a friend in local multiplayer, but it couldn't even do that. If you get the urge to play Torchlight III, just play Diablo III instead.

Destructoid - 6 / 10

There isn't much for me to love or hate here. Torchlight III is a slow burn, one that struggles to stand out like its predecessors did back when this genre wasn't nearly as stacked with great competitors.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6 / 10

Deep down, Torchlight III could be a great game. If the developers revamp the map and UI issues I pointed out I'd be over the moon. But in its current state I can't in good conscious tell you to pay full asking price. Hold off until this is either patched or on sale.

Push Square - 6 / 10

This is the same old Torchlight, but somewhat diminished. Classes are full of character and lots of fun to play, while Relic abilities encourage experimentation and significantly change combat. However, there's nothing especially new or exciting about this third instalment.

We Got This Covered - 2.5 / 5 stars

Torchlight III, while clearly wearing the franchise's skin like a badge of honor, never hits the marks of the previous entries. This is a very basic ARPG that frequently shows its free-to-play roots, and in a market overflowing with action-packed role-playing games, being a mediocre sequel isn't going to win you any favors -- especially from hardcore fans.

Windows Central - 2.5 / 5 stars

Torchlight III is a lighthearted, simple co-op ARPG that might provide some fun to casual ARPG players or serious fans of the series, but doesn't do much else to justify its existence.

GameSpew - Unscored

But as annoying as the decision to completely separate single player and multiplayer is, there’s no denying the actual gameplay of Torchlight III is a joy. It’s very polished; we’ve encountered a few hiccups, but nothing too frustrating – when passing through a portal, we’ve occasionally been taken back to the entrance of an area rather than where the portal opened, for example. But that’s about it. Very few – if any – Diablo-likes have been able to grab our attention like Torchlight III has. It’s the type of game that begs you to explore just one more area before turning it off; and when you succumb to the ‘quit game’ option, you’re already looking forward to being able to jump back in again.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Torchlight III feels an awful lot like what it is: a free-to-play multiplayer game that thought better of itself, and decided to become a proper full-price microtransaction-free primarily solo release. If I didn’t already know the path it had taken, I’d have spent my entire time playing the game being gnawed at by wondering just what it was that made it all feel so off.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Torchlight III (13 October 2020) OT - Your Legend Awaits, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted