Sony to Open PlayStation 5 for Storage Upgrades in Summer

SaysWho?

Sony Corp. is preparing to open up its PlayStation 5 for internal storage upgrades this summer, lifting a bottleneck that prevents gamers from having more than a few marquee games on their console at one time, people briefed on the plan said.

Adding support for additional drives will be enabled with a firmware update that also unlocks higher cooling-fan speeds to ensure the console doesn’t overheat, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are not yet public. The PlayStation 5 comes with a custom solid-state drive with around 667GB available for storing games, apps and media -- at a time when the latest Call of Duty game needs 133GB of installation space and most major titles take up at least 40GB each.

Sony’s latest console has a customized architecture that accelerates loading and processing times, but makes it impractical to plug in an external hard drive, the typical way gamers add storage. Such a drive can only be used for older PS4 games. After the planned firmware upgrade, players need only take a plastic cover off the PS5 and attach a new storage unit to address the current limitations.

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

You can’t add expandable storage because of over heating concerns? How was that not addressed in the designing phase of the PS5?

Umm, I didn't read that. Just that there would be higher fan speed to prevent it. The PS5 doesn't run hot.

From Schreiers reports, it was because they had to make a list of storage that would work with the console (and you can be sure Sony wants to have one on the market when that firmware hits).

34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

You can’t add expandable storage because of over heating concerns? How was that not addressed in the designing phase of the PS5?

I just read that and it definitely caught my eye. I'm wondering if it has less to do with the hard drive and more to do with summer coming. The PS5 hasn't been through some places hot weather with no a/c yet. I remember at release info came out about how hot the one part of a PS5 is running. 

Edit: like Xbob said, it's that lower memory module that's running so hot its pushing its thermal limit. 

2020-11-24-ts3_thumbs-5d6.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

The team first tested the PS5 in its stock configuration – that is, with both side panels in place. Temperatures across most components were well within...

25 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Umm, I didn't read that. Just that there would be higher fan speed to prevent it. The PS5 doesn't run hot.

From Schreiers reports, it was because they had to make a list of storage that would work with the console (and you can be sure Sony wants to have one on the market when that firmware hits).

While I don't know if there's a relation between heat and not, the PS5 has at least one spot where it runs quite hot. Some of the memory runs at damn near 100C while in a very thermal-favorable 21C environment. That's extremely hot, and it seems to run pretty close to that in multiple games. If I were paranoid, I might suggest that they allowed it to run that hot since it doesn't make the case hot (therefore "the PS5 doesn't run hot" since the box itself is cooler to the touch) and since they figured they could let it run at that temp for a while in order to keep fan noise down during Winter, which was a huge complaint with the PS4 Pro, and then slowly ramp up fan speeds later on before Summer hits so nothing gets toasted in way worse ambient temps.

Just wild speculation, but I'll be glad if the fan profiles drop that module under 90C.

Doesn't that seem like a bad oversight? We found out within days of release that the memory runs really hot. Now we are here speculating Sony's answer is just to kick the fans up. I'm sure it will be all fine and dandy but if it ends up turning the PS5 into a blower like my PS4Pro it will be a little sad.  At least it won't melt down though haha 

Just now, BloodyHell said:

There will be plenty of options this summer.

Don't get me wrong, I need more storage too.

Oh yeah, you can totally expect Sony to approve lots of different options and for those options, based on availability of other computer parts, to be suuuuper available in huge quantities. It's not gonna be a continuation of this shitshow at all!

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Oh yeah, you can totally expect Sony to approve lots of different options and for those options, based on availability of other computer parts, to be suuuuper available in huge quantities. It's not gonna be a continuation of this shitshow at all!

Lol.

Are m.2's scarce now? Haven't looked at them since my last build.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Have you seen the PS5? Someone was asleep at the wheel when this thing was designed.

I generally wait for some price drops and maybe a revision to happen before buying consoles, but never before have I seen a console in more need of a slim revision.

Between Playstation Plus games, first party games, controller preference, etc I am totally onboard the Sony train at this point, but I have zero interest in buying the hardware until Sony gets this sorted out.

Hopefully they have a full blown OG Xbone VCR to Xbox One S level Glowup in the next few years.