In Theory: Will there be more than one next-gen Xbox? And if so, what form could the new console family take?

AbsolutSurgen

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

If you built a PC midway through last gen and played the current gen games of today on it, you’re going to have a bad time.  The same would go for the X in the future.

Just because it’s technically possible doesn’t mean developers would want to release a sku with their games playing/looking that way by default.  I suppose we do have Panic Button’s Switch ports as counter-examples. But the Switch is still very much an alive platform due to Nintendo’s positioning and handheld approach.

The rest of the industry will inevitably leave old hardware behind a year or two after the next gen begins.  Development cycles, for better or worse, are largely generation driven for big studios.

my pc is not all that great   8350 with a 960gpu       I dont have any issues with what ever current gen games I play on it I mostly play RTS's on my pc though

4 hours ago, TomCat said:

my pc is not all that great   8350 with a 960gpu       I dont have any issues with what ever current gen games I play on it I mostly play RTS's on my pc though

A cpu that launched new a year before the current gen base consoles, paired with a gpu that launched over a year after.  Sounds like a current gen machine.  It helps that the CPU was older, and not the other way around.

Maybe if your parts were a few years older and you claimed the same thing, you’d have a point about the X’s future relevancy.  But that’s just not being realistic.