Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)

Bacon

DL’d and played the opening level. This controls so well on mobile. Not sure why I’m surprised since they absolutely knocked the move to consoles out of the park for D3. They aren’t what they used to be but at least for now, this feels very much like what I’d expect from Blizzard making a mobile game. Very polished. 

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I beat the game during open beta, and got into prestige levels. Aside from a battle pass, there was no need to buy any currency or anything. Not sure how much it changed.

thats good news bc im really enjoying it

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t really play games on my phone so I’m struggling to get the gumption to even try it for free. If I wanna play a Diablo on my PC it just seems there are way better options. 

i hate playing games on my phone too. But this is super polished and the gameplay is great. It works really well on my phone. It def 100% feels like Diablo. 

ill play until I hit the paywall then quit. 

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

i hate playing games on my phone too. But this is super polished and the gameplay is great. It works really well on my phone. It def 100% feels like Diablo. 

ill play until I hit the paywall then quit. 

I may check it out. I have that backbone thing that would probably work well for it. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV and Diablo Immortal - Information Thread, update - Diablo IV Beta sign-ups now available
29 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

But that would mean MS lied about everything in their show coming out in the next 12 months 👀

Nope, when they put up the 12 month graphic, D4 wasn't on it apparently (Easy Allies said, I didn't check myself).

Also, I don't actually believe all that is making 2023.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

In the trailer, posted in this thread, it says 2023.

Starfield was 2022 once upon a time 😜 

Im just not convinced that everything that happened there in the last year or so hasn't desperately slowed development. And if that game is bad, it's going to destroy the company.

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4. I played a bit of D2R and enjoyed it, but there was so much that rightfully felt ancient. It seemed like they are really modernizing the format and the gameplay loop, and I hope they find a way to make it fun. Blizzard hasn't been anyone's favorite game company as of late, but everything I've seen of D4 looks good.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update - additional gameplay footage (Necromancer/World Boss/PvP) and Quarterly Update

I’m not a big Mobile gamer or Diarblo diehard but I tried it out at the behest of a friend and have been enjoying my time. Again I’m not big on mobile but the experience is much more seamless than I expected and the shared world multiplayer is pretty damn impressive. 

On 6/5/2022 at 6:38 PM, thedarkstark said:

Don't support this trash

Seriously, stop. Don't even F2P it show them this isn't acceptable unless you want this to be the new normal the future for all games going forward.

Gambling doesnt belong in video games. Fuck Activision, fuck Blizzard, fuck EA. Fuck the US and any other government that allows this plague to exist.

23 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Seriously, stop. Don't even F2P it show them this isn't acceptable unless you want this to be the new normal the future for all games going forward.

Gambling doesnt belong in video games. Fuck Activision, fuck Blizzard, fuck EA. Fuck the US and any other government that allows this plague to exist.

I was 100% not going to spend any money and just play till I got bored of it. But because of your post I spent $20. 

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:55 PM, Keyser_Soze said:
pMBUBYBm2tAmjgtWgju4dm-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

According to Appmagic, it's been downloaded over eight million times.

And that's without the game being released in China:

6f8546fb787716a829b195c532bea155.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

The postponement comes days after the official Weibo account was censored

• 1 month later...
social-sharing-d4-7e3539fcc0f4075622915b
NEWS.BLIZZARD.COM

We’re back with another Diablo IV Quarterly Update, fresh from the Burning Hells! Join our development team as they introduce and elaborate on Diablo IV’s Seasons and Season Journeys.

Hello and welcome to our third Diablo IV Quarterly Update of 2022. We hope you enjoyed last quarter's dive into the playstyles of our final launch class, the Necromancer. That blog and our previous updates can be read here if you missed out.

Today we'll be talking about some of what’s coming to Diablo IV after the game ships. This is often referred to as a live service, and we have ambitious plans here. Our associate game director for live service, Joseph Piepiora, and our director of product, Kegan Clark, are here to talk details. Everything they describe is in addition to delivering the complete Diablo IV experience, the rich endgame features you expect at launch, and regular expansions that continue the story.

Many of you enjoy the Seasons in Diablo II: Resurrected and Diablo III and have asked for more extensive season support. We agree one of the most fun ways to play Diablo is through Seasons, so we're making the first one available soon after launch and building a dedicated team to bring you up to four Seasons a year, each with major new features, questlines, enemies, legendary items, and more.

Diablo IV's Seasons are modeled after those of Diablo III. When a new season begins, all the characters from the prior season are moved to the Eternal Realm, where you can keep playing, leveling up, and collecting loot. To play in the new season, you’ll create a fresh character and experience the new seasonal features and content while leveling up alongside other players. This, along with capping paragon points in Diablo IV, ensures that your effort and skill—measured by both dexterity and theorycrafting —determine how powerful your character becomes. It also allows players who missed the last season to participate. This season design requires that all sources of character power come from playing the game, so you will not be able to pay for power in Diablo IV.

You can read about our monetization philosophy below, along with details on how the Cosmetics Shop and optional Season Pass support and enhance Seasons.

We hope you enjoy this update and look forward to your thoughts and reactions. Later this year, we'll be testing our endgame systems. We'll also be testing features that enable players who have completed the game's campaign to flag it as completed for new characters they create and allow characters on the eternal realm to contribute to seasonal progress. Finally, stay tuned for a winter blog.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update - Quarterly Update for August 2022 (Seasons/Season Pass/Cosmetics Shop)
UZQTK3FAOFMN1660609035668.png
WWW.POLYGON.COM

There will be a Season Pass, but its paid tier will offer cosmetic rewards only

In a new developer blog, Blizzard has gone to great pains to reiterate something it had already said: Diablo 4’s monetization will not include any way to buy power or gameplay advantages.

In extremely careful and definitive language from director of product Kegan Clark, the blog lays out how Diablo 4 will be monetized (beyond the sale of future expansion packs). The in-game shop will sell only one thing: cosmetic enhancements for your character.

There will also be a battle pass-style Season Pass, which refreshes alongside the in-game seasons. Season passes will have a free tier and a paid tier, but again, the paid tier will only award cosmetic items, or premium currency which can be used to buy further cosmetic items from the shop. Selling anything affecting gameplay is explicitly and repeatedly ruled out by Clark.

This deliberate messaging is surely a result of the controversy that has engulfed Diablo Immortal. The mobile game, co-developed with NetEase and released earlier this year, is well made but has attracted consternation for the exploitative and deceptive depths of its monetization, which effectively paywalls drop rates for the game’s most powerful items, and makes the cost of maxing out a character prohibitive. Blizzard is clearly keen to try to avoid Diablo 4 being tarred with the same brush.