See Blindspotting NOW

Easily my favorite movie of the year so far. The dialogue is so on point, and every aspect of the movie hits on every level. 

And the comedy. You wouldn't expect it, but the movie is fucking hilarious. I didn't want the movie to end--I'm ready for the TV series--The Life and Times of Miles & Smiles. 

Both Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal are going to be movie stars sooner than later. Up until the final dramatic scene of the film (which is Diggs through and through and absolutely spectacular), I'd go so far as to say Casal steals the movie. 

I have little doubt this film is going to be on the short list for best original screenplay at the awards. 

I watched Sorry to Bother You first, thought it had some interesting takes but I felt that it fell apart towards the end.

I then watched Blindspotting and was completely blown away.  Growing up and still living in the Bay Area helped it resonate/relate even more.

15 hours ago, Amazatron said:

I watched Sorry to Bother You first, thought it had some interesting takes but I felt that it fell apart towards the end.

I then watched Blindspotting and was completely blown away.  Growing up and still living in the Bay Area helped it resonate/relate even more.

I was ROLLING during Sorry to Bother You, but Blindspotting is a whole other level of filmmaking.

Also, I went to the Lionsgate cocktail party at Cinemacon and Diggs and Casal were doing a meet and greet. I was several gin and tonics in at this point when my wife and I accidentally got put into the line. I had just seen the trailer for the flick that morning and when I te up there I said “Oh Bros, I saw your trailer. I really hope your movie is good.” but all slurry like.

They both start laughing and Diggs is like “Yeah man we hope so too.”

They were nice :sun:

Got into an argument with some random on Facebook because he said the rap at the end felt like a cop out because it came out of nowhere. 

I let him know that the entire film was built using spoken verse. 

He didn't see it that way. 

I sent him a link to an article where Casal was interviewed saying spoken verse was the SPINE of the movie. 

His response? "What the filmmakers intended and what comes across on the screen aren't always the same thing."

No motherfucker, you're just fucking STOOPID. 

I'll gladly admit that I don't often "get it", but I thought that the final rap was clearly set up and earned. If I had any problem with that climatic scene, it has to do with 

Spoiler

the gun. Collin said over and over that he wanted nothing to do with that gun. When he took it from Miles after the party, I thought he would have dumped it immediately. I don't know why he would have kept it, other than for that climax to work, which he couldn't have seen coming. 

I don't think this is necessarily the best film of the year, but it's probably the film of this moment. Sorry To Bother You had a lot to say on a broad range of topics, and I found that its didacticism and hyperbole went hand in hand. Blindspotting is focused on a much smaller subset of issues that it explores much more carefully, if still bluntly. It does an excellent job of building themes through character work, and, importantly, is consistently entertaining.