Jump to content

The Walking Dead. Where we at?


Recommended Posts

Where is 'The Walking Dead' at now? I kind of checked out right before we got into 'The Whisperers'. I think halfway through the Negan season. Can anyone give me a quick summary from there to where we are now? Are Daryl and Carol still alive? Has Rick returned? How many of the original cast are left? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea as to specific answers to your questions regarding The Walking Dead, I quit the show during the Negan season since the show just kept spinning its wheels. That was season 7. I don't think I finished that season. It is currently almost finished its tenth season with a final eleventh season to come in 2021-2022, then a Daryl and Carol spin-off show following that.

 

Rick is not back on the show as I understand it, he will instead be starring in a trilogy of AMC Original films instead following his storyline on its own with Jadis (a character from the show) and a group known as the Three Rings, a group hinted at amongst the other shows here and there. They have been announced but not made yet (they allegedly shoot this spring).

 

There is also the show Fear the Walking Dead, which I haven't seen at all, which is on its sixth season and already has a seventh announced with no end in sight.

 

There is also the show The Walking Dead: World Beyond starring kids set ten years after the outbreak. One season has aired so far with a second season announced.

 

Also last September they announced Tales of the Walking Dead, which will be an episodic anthology series that will have new and existing characters that would "explore backstories" but this has not been made or released yet.

 

And lastly don't forget that The Walking Dead has four short web series so far (Torn Apart, Cold Storage, The Oath, and Red Machete) and Fear the Walking Dead has three short web series so far as well (Flight 462, Passage, and The Althea Tapes)

 

Okay, that should about cover all the live-action fim/TV stuff. Obviously there are also games, novels, etc. as well as the original comic book series. So basically three shows concurrently airing, with two more down the pipeline, and a trilogy of films coming starring Rick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for that. We probably stopped watching around the same time. I downloaded the Walking Dead slot machine game on my phone and I think that's why I became curious about the show again. After I made this post, I ordered the WD Compendium 4 off Amazon. It says it's the final one, so I'm excited to see how the comics ended.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 69los said:

The last episode I watched was when they killed off

 

  Hide contents

CORRRRRRRRRRRLL

 

Never watched any spinoff and never plan to. I'll just stick to the hardcovers.

I didn't see it, but felt bad because said person had no idea what was coming and had just got an apartment near where they shoot the show, to cut down on traveling. :(

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm basically hate watching it at this point. It's just so bland. It's a rollercoaster of a show in terms of quality, and right now it just seems to be spinning its wheels. I actually had to think about what the last episode was about, and I I think they were trapped in a building with thousands of walkers outside, and they snuck out using the wearing guts technique. 

 

Really I guess I'm only still watching it just to see how it ends. I made it this far, and there's not much else on Sunday, so might as well. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I quit when Glen and Abraham died. Bah. Watched the first season of Fear the Walking Dead, but it didn't keep my interest. 

 

Yep, same as me and the OP - that's the seventh season. The first episode of that season is when they die by Negan and his bat. I think I watched most of that season but just lost interest and gave up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Brick said:

 

The best season, and it was only 6 episodes, not like 18 they have now per season. 

 

Season one was great, but the first half of season three and the second half of season 4 were also pretty up there (when they storm the prison and everyone's got silencers and taking out zombies like pros was pretty baller). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

Season one was great, but the first half of season three and the second half of season 4 were also pretty up there (when they storm the prison and everyone's got silencers and taking out zombies like pros was pretty baller). 

 

Ignoring the break for cliffhanger purposes, and if you watch both episodes of Negan's introduction together I thought that was pretty tense. I love me some Jeffrey Dean Morgan chewing up the scenery. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Brick said:

 

Ignoring the break for cliffhanger purposes, and if you watch both episodes of Negan's introduction together I thought that was pretty tense. I love me some Jeffrey Dean Morgan chewing up the scenery. 

 

I love JDM too, and I agree that if you binge the show it's much better than watched week to week with that midseason break every season. But the show doesn't have an ending, it can't. It's always just: "we found a new place with new people, some are good, some are bad, and there's a bad group waiting in the wings to destroy shit and kill people and ruin it for everybody trying to start over, throw in lots of personal drama storylines for every character" and then rinse and repeat ad infinitum. You need an end goal(s), etc or at least different plots/arcs. I just got tired of that cycle of good group vs. bad group fighting over area of land/useful resources over and over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

I love JDM too, and I agree that if you binge the show it's much better than watched week to week with that midseason break every season. But the show doesn't have an ending, it can't. It's always just: "we found a new place with new people, some are good, some are bad, and there's a bad group waiting in the wings to destroy shit and kill people and ruin it for everybody trying to start over, throw in lots of personal drama storylines for every character" and then rinse and repeat ad infinitum. You need an end goal(s), etc or at least different plots/arcs. I just got tired of that cycle of good group vs. bad group fighting over area of land/useful resources over and over.

 

Yup, which again is why I say I'm just hate watching it at this point, and usually only half by browsing on my phone. I just want to see how they end it now that they're making the final season, and with the source comic having ended (even if they have diverted quite a bit from the comic). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brick said:

 

Yup, which again is why I say I'm just hate watching it at this point, and usually only half by browsing on my phone. I just want to see how they end it now that they're making the final season, and with the source comic having ended (even if they have diverted quite a bit from the comic). 

 

Apparently the Daryl and Carol spin-off show following the end of the main show will be a direct sequel, so in many ways it may not be over, but if I was where you're at in the show by now I'd also finish it for completionist's sake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

Apparently the Daryl and Carol spin-off show following the end of the main show will be a direct sequel, so in many ways it may not be over, but if I was where you're at in the show by now I'd also finish it for completionist's sake. 

 

I'm not going to watch that. Way to remove all tension AMC by revealing that at least they'll live through the finale :|

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ort said:

I stopped after season one.


I made it through season two. The pilot was hands down the best episode and then it was a steady decline from every episode after that. The scene with the son looking at the deer was when I threw my hands up and changed the channel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked out a few episodes into Season 3.  I just didn't tune in one week and never did again for whatever reason.

 

For whatever reason, I still watch Fear the Walking Dead.  Admittedly, the current season has been pretty good.  The best season since Season 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, a lot of people stopped during season seven!

 

Googling the viewership per season, yup A LOT of people stopped after that. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped watching after Rick left. I gave Fear the Walking Dead a try, but couldn’t stand too many of the characters. I liked the Son, and how he was a person that couldn’t figure out how to live in society, but then during a zombie apocalypse he seemed to be able to wrap his head around things enough to survive and thrive. Hated the mom though. 
 

I have no desire to revisit the franchise. Unless there’s some movie or limited series about the cause of the outbreak. That might interest me a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't understand the appeal of a spin-off series for Daryl and Carol from the actor's viewpoints. Yes I get having a TV show role is good, solid, secure, and consistent work if the show is popular, but after more than 10 years of playing the same character, and now the show is coming to an end, wouldn't you want to move on to something else? Do something new and exciting? Daryl is already basically the main character now anyway with Rick gone, so it's not like Kelsey Grammar going from Cheers as a side character to Frasier as the star. I know me personally I'd be bored! As an actor I wouldn't want a TV role because it would feel like the same thing every day, and I'd hate to be on some middling sitcom like Big Bang Theory, or a repetitive show like The Waking Dead for 10 years. If I'm going to star in a show it would have to be a story with an ending in mind, not something that will just run for as long as it can before audiences, or the people making it get bored of it. Think of shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, or various mini series that knew they would have X number of seasons, and were leading towards an ending. Sometimes things end well (Breaking Bad), sometimes not (Game of Thrones), but at least you know you're working towards a story with an ending planned to happen at some point, and each week each episode moves closer to that goal. 

 

It just seems so unambitious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Brick said:

I also don't understand the appeal of a spin-off series for Daryl and Carol from the actor's viewpoints. Yes I get having a TV show role is good, solid, secure, and consistent work if the show is popular, but after more than 10 years of playing the same character, and now the show is coming to an end, wouldn't you want to move on to something else? Do something new and exciting? Daryl is already basically the main character now anyway with Rick gone, so it's not like Kelsey Grammar going from Cheers as a side character to Frasier as the star. 

 

It just seems so unambitious. 

 

I can only speculate, but actors Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Melissa McBride (Carol) are two actors who have struggled to get consistent work while both have been in the business for 3 decades. The Walking Dead has made them recognizable stars, but I imagine when you've been poor and/or struggling for work years at a time for as long as they have (Death Stranding happened because of The Walking Dead, I'm sure) the probably very high amount of cash they were offered for consistent work that keeps them famous was probably too much to turn down. I've always liked both actors - I've been a fan of Reedus' since the 90's, and McBride has barely done anything (she was more well known as a casting director than as an actor). 

 

And Reedus has only had The Boondock Saints, TWD, and Death Stranding to help him out with supporting roles in stuff like 8mm, Blade II, Deuces Wild, The Notorious Bettie Page, and American Gangster carrying him along. Reedus is 52 years old and McBride is 55.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I checked out after somewhere around season 4? My ex kept watching it so I'd see it on the side here and there. I also completely agree that the first episode was incredibly good and it just kind of very slowly declined from there. 

 

The show felt like one giant exercise in padding to me at some point and what really got to me was that for literally seasons at a time there are barely any interesting sets, locations, anything. It just devolved into Doomsday Soap Opera in generic forests. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

 

I can only speculate, but actors Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Melissa McBride (Carol) are two actors who have struggled to get consistent work while both have been in the business for 3 decades. The Walking Dead has made them recognizable stars, but I imagine when you've been poor and/or struggling for work years at a time for as long as they have (Death Stranding happened because of The Walking Dead, I'm sure) the probably very high amount of cash they were offered for consistent work that keeps them famous was probably too much to turn down. I've always liked both actors - I've been a fan of Reedus' since the 90's, and McBride has barely done anything (she was more well known as a casting director than as an actor). 

 

And Reedus has only had The Boondock Saints, TWD, and Death Stranding to help him out with supporting roles in stuff like 8mm, Blade II, Deuces Wild, The Notorious Bettie Page, and American Gangster carrying him along. Reedus is 52 years old and McBride is 55.

My much-shorter response was going to be 'they need work'.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to get through all of the regular seasons during the pandemic since wtf else do I have to do , and I'm not sure why other than I'm bored. To me the show peaked with The Governor and went mostly downhill after that season 4 and beyond. Negan started off interesting and some of his little rants are great but they really fucked up handling it. They could have done so much more with him. I guess i'll hate watch season 11 to see how it ends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...