Jump to content

Texas Republicans on blackouts: Liberal politicians, Obama, and free market are to blame!


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do American Senators and Congress people not directly aid people? I know in Canada they actually use most of their staff and office funds on just helping constituents get approval for stuff, coordinate assistance, etc, to the point where they struggle to write new legislation because so much of their staff remains at home.

Get outta here! haha 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do American Senators and Congress people not directly aid people? I know in Canada they actually use most of their staff and office funds on just helping constituents get approval for stuff, coordinate assistance, etc, to the point where they struggle to write new legislation because so much of their staff remains at home.

 

Congress is run by people that want power to enrich their donors and people that want donors but don't really care for the power. Yeah, you'll find a bunch of middle and lower ranking folks that are happy to help whoever they can, but leadership is on a completely different page from any of them. These people literally held a trial and wrapped it up nice and quick with no witnesses because it might eat into their vacation time. There's literally a pandemic still ongoing with people losing their homes and going hungry, but you know, vacation time and all that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do American Senators and Congress people not directly aid people? I know in Canada they actually use most of their staff and office funds on just helping constituents get approval for stuff, coordinate assistance, etc, to the point where they struggle to write new legislation because so much of their staff remains at home.

 

Congressional offices actually do lots of things for constituents, even if the actual elected official isn't personally doing so. Some of it is small scale, like writing letters of recommendation, some larger scale like finding jobs or rent assistance. I think many would be surprised what their congress person and senators will do if you just ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They're right in terms of how they were taught american civics. He's a member of the legislative branch, he can't do executive things! All he can do is committees, speeches, and votes! 

 

I think you're giving people too much credit. It's way more "grr government bad" than it is worrying that a legislator is going to executive branch something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

I think you're giving people too much credit. It's way more "grr government bad" than it is worrying that a legislator is going to executive branch something.

 

tbh, that's the argument I've most heard -- the state legislature and governor are doing things. I was quite antagonistic toward a friend of mine who tried to argue that if I had the resources, wouldn't I leave? And then compared him leaving to people fleeing a hurricane.

 

I told him as a regular person, he is completely detached from the real world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My whole issue with Ted is he could have staffed out much of his “efforts” to help. He could have mobilized the members of the his staff that could work and got them to reach out to community centers and setting up or coordinating with charity and relief efforts for people. He could have then gone on Fox to ask a nationwide audience to donate with a website or phone number while still blaming green energy and AOC for the entire disaster. 
 

it could have been so easy to create good optics that actually resulted in benefits for people that need help. Without him having to personally do much at all. But he’s such a horrible human being, he doesn’t even have the capacity to appear like he cares. It doesn’t help that this won’t matter for him politically. Republicans in Texas will still re-elect him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally started working on my plumbing at the drive in that had damage. Every single toilet (20 or so) and the PVC runs to them are damaged to the point I'll just have to yank everything out and re-do all of it. This is in the bathroom building, we do have restroom facilities in the concession building so we aren't totally hosed. But need to get the other restrooms sorted out before next weekend when Raya hits and Spring Break kicks off because we will be slammmmmmmmed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

 

 

 

 

Who was that for?

 

He already admitted he fucked up by going to Cancun.

 

The live audience at CPAC would be more receptive than most to a claim that there was never a scandal there and the media blew it out of proportion. But if that is what he is going for he cut his own legs out from under him with the awkward line about being better than Orlando. Public speaking 101 of any kind is not to diss the "hometown" you're in.

 

It almost sounds like an attempt at self-deprecation, but that concept is as foriegn to modern conservatives as humor and compassion, so that seems unlikely.

 

Seems like maybe awkward alien in a Ted Cruz skin is just as bad at mimicking Trump mannerisms as it is normal human behavior.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

Who was that for?

 

He already admitted he fucked up by going to Cancun.

 

The live audience at CPAC would be more receptive than most to a claim that there was never a scandal there and the media blew it out of proportion. But if that is what he is going for he cut his own legs out from under him with the awkward line about being better than Orlando. Public speaking 101 of any kind is not to diss the "hometown" you're in.

 

It almost sounds like an attempt at self-deprecation, but that concept is as foriegn to modern conservatives as humor and compassion, so that seems unlikely.

 

Seems like maybe awkward alien in a Ted Cruz skin is just as bad at mimicking Trump mannerisms as it is normal human behavior.

 

 

The proper way to self depreciate and pump up the hometown would have been to say. "I've been to Cancun... but I gotta say Orlando is AWESOME!"

 

*audience erupts in applause*

 

Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All sunbelt cities are basically the same; mass suburbia with no core

 

I'd say for some, yeah. But definitely not all. Orlando is the worst offender IMO of that. At my last job I traveled there quite frequently for work and every time a trip came up there I'd just be annoyed because I knew I wasn't going to get great food or see anything interesting. But I liked going to places like Austin or Atlanta or even Phoenix in the sunbelt.

 

Like, I'm sure there are great places to eat and fun and interesting things to do in Orlando if you dig and search. And hey, I just traveled to Disney World last month with the family. Orlando is great for that.

 

But I don't feel like I need to dig and search for great food or interesting things in other cities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Orlando should be called Applebee's City or something. It's a resort town full of big box stores and restaurant chains. It has no personality.

 

21 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All sunbelt cities are basically the same; mass suburbia with no core

 

Orlando is literally not this, wtf?

 

Y'all smoking something fierce. I can't count the number of times I've been there, including downtown, and the nearby Winter Park village, but there are a ton of local businesses in the area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

 

 

Orlando is literally not this, wtf?

 

Y'all smoking something fierce. I can't count the number of times I've been there, including downtown, and the nearby Winter Park village, but there are a ton of local businesses in the area.

"No" is a relative term. Generally sunbelt cities have a small core with pre-Euclidian development relative to the MSA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...