Nintendo Direct to air 2/17/2021 at 5:00pm EST

GameDadGrant

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Do people like Xenoblade that much or does Nintendo owe them a bunch of favors?

Should probably be asking that question about Fire Emblem instead with all its Smash reps. :p

I really like the games though, 2 included, except for its 'fan-service' bits and the stupid robot girl.  I like the idea of another transformation character being added to Smash as well.  

I also care much more about Xenoblade than Smash these days.  Too much input lag and bad online netcode.  It feels like a slap in the face to market it in the midst of the pandemic.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Should probably be asking that question about Fire Emblem instead with all its Smash reps. :p

I really like the games though, 2 included, except for its fan-service bits and that stupid robot girl.  I like the idea of another transformation character being added to Smash as well.  

I also care much more about Xenoblade than Smash these days.  Too much input lag and shitty online netcode.  It feels like a slap in the face to market it in the midst of the pandemic.

Online smash is an abomination but I still enjoy it locally, or I did before the plague. 

I have nothing against the Xeno games it just seems odd that they are expanding on what to me seems like a very obscure choice other than I assume they have a close partnership with Nintendo. 

Overall it was an okay direct. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad, it was fine and there’s some stuff I want. Mario Golf is exciting but I did kind of expect another big summer game besides a port. Maybe they have some late summer stuff.

I really wanted a skyward sword port though and I’m glad that actually happened. I never played it on wii besides emulated for a second and I really don’t want to do motion controls in a flatscreen Zelda. I’m also not super big on BOTW so I’m not as excited for BOTW2 as others so a new for me more traditional 3D Zelda sounds sweet.

And NMH3 this summer!!

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Online smash is an abomination but I still enjoy it locally, or I did before the plague. 

And there's the rub.

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I have nothing against the Xeno games it just seems odd that they are expanding on what to me seems like a very obscure choice other than I assume they have a close partnership with Nintendo. 

Well, they are Nintendo.  Just like Retro Studios, Monolith Soft is wholly owned by Nintendo.  They also contribute to Zelda development.  The Xenoblade games are selling better nowadays as well.

18 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Do people like Xenoblade that much or does Nintendo owe them a bunch of favors?

Have you played any of the games? I was late to the first game and didn't expect to like it as much as I did, especially when I don't play a lot of JRPGs. The second game (X) was still good, but really not on the same level, and story and world design dad vastly different. I have heard 2 is more of a return to form and more like the first game, and I'm looking forward to playing it as it's been in my backlog for a couple of years now. 

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

And there's the rub.

Well, they are Nintendo.  Just like Retro Studios, Monolith Soft is wholly owned by Nintendo.  They also contribute to Zelda development.  The Xenoblade games are selling better nowadays as well.

I actually had no idea they owned monolith. That makes a lot more sense.

Just now, Brick said:

Have you played any of the games? I was late to the first game and didn't expect to like it as much as I did, especially when I don't play a lot of JRPGs. The second game (X) was still good, but really not on the same level, and story and world design dad vastly different. I have heard 2 is more of a return to form and more like the first game, and I'm looking forward to playing it as it's been in my backlog for a couple of years now. 

I think I’d like them actually they’re just too long for me to commit to in good faith. 

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really wanted a skyward sword port though and I’m glad that actually happened. I never played it on wii besides emulated for a second and I really don’t want to do motion controls in a flatscreen Zelda. I’m also not super big on BOTW so I’m not as excited for BOTW2 as others so a new for me more traditional 3D Zelda sounds sweet.

You'll enjoy it if you can get past the C-stick controls then.  It's my second favorite 3D Zelda.  Has some pacing issues at times, but there's a lot of high points and very clever dungeon design.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

2 is a return to form in some ways, but too 'anime' and 'gatcha' others.  But if you stick with it, it delivers about as much as the first.  Even more if you beat Xenoblade 1.  There's some huge pay-offs.

I get Skies of Arcadia vibes from parts of the game too.  I only wish you could fly around an overworld map.

34 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think I’d like them actually they’re just too long for me to commit to in good faith. 

Well I suppose you could play in chunks, especially the first since it's on Switch now so the portability would help. I remember I took a break when Arkham Knight came out since that's also when I got my PS4, and then went back to it. 

It is a long game though, but it has some breathtaking art direction. 

38 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You'll enjoy it if you can get past the C-stick controls then.  It's my second favorite 3D Zelda.  Has some pacing issues at times, but there's a lot of high points and very clever dungeon design.

I like Skyward Sword a lot, but the entire game is a giant pacing problem.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yes, it’s a good game and a lot of people like it. 

I mean, I doubt they’d be making all these games if it weren’t. 

Looking at sales numbers it’s fairly pedestrian though at best. 2 is the best selling game and it’s like 2 million worldwide. 

Just doesn’t scream hey let’s get a bunch more of these beloved characters in here. 

Let me introduce you all to a game that was announced today on the JP direct. You didn't know you need this but now that you know about it you will.

It's "My (Crayon Shin-Chan) Summer Vacation" :P

Yes this is being worked on by some of the staff who made "Attack of the Friday Monsters" (3DS) and "My Summer Vacation" (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP).

-edit-

If you've never heard about My Summer Vacation, I recommend this great write-up in Scroll by Ray Barnholt (yes sadly you'll have to buy the issue).

http://scroll.vg/issues/10

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So look at all the more obscure characters featured. It just seems like a weird stance to take. 

Didn't really take a stance, was just surprised is all. 

Also I just gleaned the roster and there is maybe two characters I don't recognize other than the Xeno characters. They may be weird pulls, but they are largely recognizable overall. I would have had zero clue who any of the Xeno kids were though. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I like Skyward Sword a lot, but the entire game is a giant pacing problem.

It’s only a few minor fixes and cuts away from not having them, IMO.  It would nix some of the length, but the game would be no worse for it. 

I think Twilight Princess had worse problems in some ways.  Less “why is there padding here? It’s not needed” and more “oh, I see why they’re repeating this so you’re not straight into the next dungeon...”  It also didn’t do enough with the world in the 2nd half of the game.

I need to review some of the other stuff. I didn’t ge to see it all, as I’d just woken up. 

I only got through the first dozen hours or so of SS. I liked it, but I got distracted and didn’t go back. Then I was hoping for a remaster or port on a newer console. So I’m excited to finally play all the way through this one. 

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Didn't really take a stance, was just surprised is all. 

Also I just gleaned the roster and there is maybe two characters I don't recognize other than the Xeno characters. They may be weird pulls, but they are largely recognizable overall. I would have had zero clue who any of the Xeno kids were though. 

Who is this Lucas kid?  Where can I buy his game?