Has anyone here NOT experienced mental illness?

Anyone here a rare unicorn that can say they haven’t experienced any type of mental illness ever in their life? It seems more the majority of people do especially with increasing mental health awareness these days, but this time I want to hear about those who DON’T have mental illness. 

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

No I'm not fucked in the head.

Not cool, man. There are all kinds of mental illness and varying degrees. Most of us function normally. I have depression and anxiety, but I manage it. I’m luckier than some. 

this is why there’s a stigma when it comes to mental illness. 

• Upvote 7

If you look up depression and ADHD in the dictionary, you'd probably find a picture of me. I might be bipolar as well, though that's never been diagnosed.

I know it's cliche for a lot of people to say that things are wrong with them or whatever, but it's not a laughing matter. When you hear song lyrics about how you'd set yourself on fire to feel the burn, it's a real feeling that I think only people that have clinical depression can actually empathize with. When I'm in one of my dark periods, there is no reasoning and there is no escape; I am shit and nothing, and woe betide anyone who hitches their trailer to... my... hm.... kind of lost where I was going with that analogy.

It took a long time to get help. I still struggle with it, because part of me thinks that accepting help means I'm weak. I lost about half of my 20's in a cocaine filled rabbit hole because I thought I was worthless and who gives a shit anyway, so let's just make sure I don't live until 50, then at least I don't have to face not having anyone to care about me when I'm 70.

This is just a hazard of a guess, but I think the kind of people who latched onto online forums generally fit into some kind of depression mold. When no one else was there, you found anonymous people online to help you cope with whatever you were dealing with. An actual respite, because you don't actually have to see these people every day or feel like they're judging you; it's a one-way social outlet. I think that can be incredibly healthy, but that also lead to qAnon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyways I wouldn't say I've experienced mental illness per se, but there was a 5-6 year period of my life when I regularly saw a therapist. I was never diagnosed with anything (at least to my knowledge), but I definitely had a lot of things to talk and work through.

• Upvote 1

I see two therapist at the moment. I'm absolutely destroyed emotionally and my heart feels like it's been ripped right out of my body. I cry everyday because the pain hurts so much. I feel like half of me is missing. It's very difficult to explain.

No therapy or drugs have helped. Marijuana is one thing that does calm me down and I can still think of my identical twin brother.  So I enjoy weed and find it as a blessing in my life. 

To answer the question. I'm extremely unwell right now mentally so I'd say that falls under the category of mental illness. I just try to stay as positive as I can and take it one day at a time. It's going to be a very long life for me from here on out.

• Sad 4
2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@best3444 I'm sorry you have to deal with that pain. I hope it gets better for you. 

As the 4th year anniversary approaches the pain has only gotten worse. It's something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life. But even looking in the mirror everyday I see him. That's when I can break down. Our connection was so immense I will never love anyone more than I loved him. Truly special unique bonds identical twins have. 

The one positive I can take away from this is that I know what true love felt like. Not a lot of people get to experience that in a life time.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I see two therapist at the moment. I'm absolutely destroyed emotionally and my heart feels like it's been ripped right out of my body. I cry everyday because the pain hurts so much. I feel like half of me is missing. It's very difficult to explain.

No therapy or drugs have helped. Marijuana is one thing that does calm me down and I can still think of my identical twin brother.  So I enjoy weed and find it as a blessing in my life. 

To answer the question. I'm extremely unwell right now mentally so I'd say that falls under the category of mental illness. I just try to stay as positive as I can and take it one day at a time. It's going to be a very long life for me from here on out.

It’s okay bruh. I know you were crushed when I was exposed as a liar and left discord. You’ll get through this buddy boy. I still love you. 

• Haha 2

It’s crazy to me that many people don’t experience mental illness. The older I get, the more I realize a lot of things I’ve experienced growing up and into adulthood are really not normal. I first went to therapy at 12 years old because I had panic attacks and anxiety so bad I couldn’t sleep or go to school for a month. That’s just one small scratch on the surface, I’m not even gonna get into everything else. But mental illness has been so normal for me my whole life I just figured it was everyone’s normal to some degree but maybe not. This is a novel concept to me. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Oh really. Want me to name a few for you professor? lol

Go for it. :P

3 minutes ago, Rachel said:

It’s crazy to me that many people don’t experience mental illness. The older I get, the more I realize a lot of things I’ve experienced growing up and into adulthood are really not normal. I first went to therapy at 12 years old because I had panic attacks and anxiety so bad I couldn’t sleep or go to school for a month. That’s just one small scratch on the surface, I’m not even gonna get into everything else. But mental illness has been so normal for me my whole life I just figured it was everyone’s normal to some degree but maybe not. This is a novel concept to me. 

I guess it depends on where one believes it crosses the line to a mental illness.  I'm not any sort of expert so I don't know, but in my head I liken it to addiction.  Alcoholism for example; lots of people drink and lots of people drink heavily. But not everyone drinks to the point where it's a compulsion; where they are drinking when they don't want to and they are impacting their daily live in a seriously dangerous, negative way.  To me it's the same with other mental illnesses.  I think everyone experiences them to a minor degree at some point or another, but it just never crosses that line.  I've been depressed, but I've never "had depression".  I've been anxious, but I've never "had anxiety" or had panic attacks. I've been impulsive, but I've never had an impulse control disorder.  I've never experienced anything to such a degree that I felt I was in danger, not in control of myself, or needed to talk to someone professionally about it.  

Side note, I think everyone experiencing symptoms in a minor way at different points in their life contributes to a lack of understanding of people who truly do suffer from mental illnesses.  It's too easy for people to see someone who is clinically depressed for example and wonder why they don't just "shake it off" or "get over it" because in their experience that's all there is to it.  This dismissal from friends and family makes it less likely that an affected person will seek out help.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Slug said:

Go for it. :P

I guess it depends on where one believes it crosses the line to a mental illness.  I'm not any sort of expert so I don't know, but in my head I liken it to addiction.  Alcoholism for example; lots of people drink and lots of people drink heavily. But not everyone drinks to the point where it's a compulsion; where they are drinking when they don't want to and they are impacting their daily live in a seriously dangerous, negative way.  To me it's the same with other mental illnesses.  I think everyone experiences them to a minor degree at some point or another, but it just never crosses that line.  I've been depressed, but I've never "had depression".  I've been anxious, but I've never "had anxiety" or had panic attacks. I've been impulsive, but I've never had an impulse control disorder.  I've never experienced anything to such a degree that I felt I was in danger, not in control of myself, or needed to talk to someone professionally about it.  

Side note, I think everyone experiencing symptoms in a minor way at different points in their life contributes to a lack of understanding of people who truly do suffer from mental illnesses.  It's too easy for people to see someone who is clinically depressed for example and wonder why they don't just "shake it off" or "get over it" because in their experience that's all there is to it.  This dismissal from friends and family makes it less likely that an affected person will seek out help.

Oh yeah by no means am I trying to say that people who don’t experience mental illness don’t ever experience hard times or pain or any mental or emotional difficulty. I get that. EVERYONE experiences that, mental illness or not. And I completely agree with everything you’ve said especially the second paragraph. Nailed it. People without mental illness are like “oh I dealt with difficult stuff and got over it so people with mental illness can just toughen up and do that too” well SORRY I’M NOT TOUGH LIKE YOU DAD. SORRY I WAS BORN. 

• Upvote 1

I sometimes suffer from very bad anxiety. I've fortunately never had panic attacks, but in the past it can get bad enough that it has very real physical impacts on me. For example, when it gets bad, it makes me nauseous and kills my appetite. I usually end up incredibly tired and yawn and sigh every other minute. It's also linked with me getting non-erosive reflux, which is hilarious because now I have a legit medical diagnosis of "NERD" for which I take medication.

That said, it's mostly under control and I feel lucky that this is the worst I get of mental illness.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

The one person here that is fucked in the head says this.

Imagine typing something like that and thinking to yourself, “Why yes, I *am* a good person that provides value to the world.” Like really, imagine thinking that is something you should say. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Bacon said:

In elementary school, once a week I was taken out of gym class to go see a therapist across town. Fuckin hated missing gym class. 

Was the lack of exercise the start of your pizza roll addiction downward spiral?  I know for me it was. 

59 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Was the lack of exercise the start of your pizza roll addiction downward spiral?  I know for me it was. 

but what started the Capri sun addiction?

I apologize for my insensitivity, didn't mean it. Some people just laugh to get through shit, I'm one of them. I find joking about shit makes it easier, to those who I might have upset I'm sorry. We all deal with our demons in different ways.

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

I apologize for my insensitivity, didn't mean it. Some people just laugh to get through shit, I'm one of them. I find joking about shit makes it easier, to those who I might have upset I'm sorry. We all deal with our demons in different ways.

Apology accepted

harry peacock preet van der plessis GIF by BBC

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

pizza roll addiction

I don't really care for pizza rolls. Last time I got pizza rolls they just sat in the freezer for a year before I threw them away.

I deal with situational anxiety or at least that is what I call it. I don’t have anxiety all the time. Fortunately, I can recognize when it is starting and take some actions to mitigate it but it won’t go away until the event/situation is done.  I will add that it’s got worse with age. 

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I deal with situational anxiety or at least that is what I call it. I don’t have anxiety all the time. Fortunately, I can recognize when it is starting and take some actions to mitigate it but it won’t go away until the event/situation is done.  I will add that it’s got worse with age. 

What types of situations trigger it?